TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

And while TW would be a huge hit for us die-hard enthusiasts, you think the GP would really take to it? Wasn't the ridership dropping towards the end of its life? I would love to see though if some kind of launched shuttle came back...kind of like a throwback to TW/GL but something 'modern' if you want to say that the GP would enjoy as well as us enthusiasts.

Wasn't the ridership dropping towards the end of its life? .

As soon as action theatre was built interest started to decline. Became a bad location, if I remember correctly you had to enter through action theaters arcade to get to it. There also wasn't any signage on the path going by it.

Wasn't the ridership dropping towards the end of its life? .

As soon as action theatre was built interest started to decline. Became a bad location, if I remember correctly you had to enter through action theaters arcade to get to it. There also wasn't any signage on the path going by it.

Actually the entrance was to the side of the arcade, and then you exited through the actual arcade itself by way of a side doorway which also merged with Action Theater's exit. You can still see the old side exit doorway when you go through the arcade which of course is pulled down and closed. I remember working there when both sides of Action Theater were open and there were many times when everyone was exiting at the same time causing a big clusterf**k of people all merging together from both sides of the theater and TW/GL.

The location of course was so hidden that there were never any long lines. I remember passing by the long rows of unused switchbacks in the queue in which I would always think to myself would never see the light of day ever again. Then they built the special new entrance next to American Cafe, where Firefall is now, and added a brand new pink 50's sign in celebration of the 25th anniversary which was great, but unfortunately would only last till the end of the season....

It's funny aren't the supports still there from TW? Like one or two of them? Looking at that area just makes me cringe. & Hate Paramount even more & more. Now if Cedar Fair were running the park back in 2002 TW would still be there. They wouldn't have gotten rid of it. So unfair. Cedar Fair should have taken over in 2001. If they had Stealth would have stayed too.

^You mean the concrete footers?

I'm honestly not sure if CF would have kept TW or not to be honest. Though Orbit went dormant in 2006, it did make a comeback for the 2007 season if I remember right. I didn't regularly visit the park until 2007, last visit before that was in 1999. I missed Stealth but thank Anton I got/made decision to ride Tidal Wave at that time as it was my only time I rode it.

Stealth on the other hand...I'm sure it would have been relocated anyway.

I remember getting into an argument with another coaster enthusiast once about the original Vortex colors. They swore that it had always been purple, yellow and white and kept telling them it was originally green and black. They laughed it off like I knew nothing and I was obviously confusing Vortex with Riddler's Revenge. Every time I see a picture or video of the old colors and makes me smile now.

I still don't get why parks who have this violent and painful stand-ups, don't purchase new trains (non-standing) that might breath new life into the ride. I think Vortex would be an awesome little sit down coaster. Fast and intense. Maybe an on board sound system to make it more marketable (Are the old Led Zeppelin trains for sale?).

^ You are. I'm sure the trains are in a condition that would be relatively cheap to refurbish. Definitely cheaper than buying brand new trains. The thing is, I doubt they would sell just the trains, then they would have a ride with no trains which makes it harder to sell. I'm just dreaming out loud.

^Has Riddler gotten rough? I remember riding in 2001 and felt fine. I guess I'll see in a couple months But still, standing up is not the most comfy position to be riding...especially if you already stood an hour in line

Switching gears here, the old 'Dippin' Dots Guy' rumor rises like a zombie:

So the latest rumor I heard is that the aging Spongebob 3D film may be on its way out, and replaced with some kind of white water rafting 2D film. Though this is the case of hearing it from someone that heard it from someone else...so we shall see!

^^You have got to be kidding. Riddler I LOVE. It is perfect in every way. Vortex is a piece of crap!!!

^Finally Spongebob is heading out. Thank God. That new film sounds so much better. I'm sure that will be new for next year. But darn before new water slides? New water slides should be what's next after Gold Striker.

Edited by #1rollercoasterfan

^Has Riddler gotten rough? I remember riding in 2001 and felt fine. I guess I'll see in a couple months But still, standing up is not the most comfy position to be riding...especially if you already stood an hour in line

Switching gears here, the old 'Dippin' Dots Guy' rumor rises like a zombie:

So the latest rumor I heard is that the aging Spongebob 3D film may be on its way out, and replaced with some kind of white water rafting 2D film. Though this is the case of hearing it from someone that heard it from someone else...so we shall see!

Well Riddler was only 3 in 2001. I remember liking it back then too. I last rode it in 2009 and thought it was garbage.

It's about time that the theater get a new movie. Spongebob was fun, but getting dated. White water rafting sounds kind of boring to watch on a big screen though.

Deciding to check out Iwerks' website (CGA's simulator is an Iwerks Turbo Ride, right?) I found that there is a white water rafting film but doesn't show much other than this:

Hang on for the experience of a lifetime! Ride into the middle of an exciting white-water rapids adventure as you shoot the rapids of a majestic canyon.

Did I mention that the rumor said that it would be a 2D film? 3D would have been a bit better especially for something like rafting or any kind of media involving POVs.

http://www.simex-iwerks.com/Default.asp?id=4&l=1&mcat_gid=2&mcat_pid=35&mcat_cid=3

I say, they just play Coasters in the Raw footage in there...show off 3-5 random POVs, whatever fits into a reasonable runtime. It would bring re-rideability for its variation and randomness.

Didn't the other side of the theater just become a spare parts donor for the side that is running?

^^You have got to be kidding. Riddler I LOVE. It is perfect in every way. Vortex is a piece of crap!!!

CGA was my home park and SFMM is my home park. Both Riddler & Vortex aren't that good. At least I can have some fun on Riddler.