TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I would sorta miss the Grizz. Though it's mainly cosmetic, I've always liked how the car ride goes around the coaster, under it, etc. You get some great/odd angles of the ride. Plus, the landscaping around it especially at the car ride entrance looks nice.

Narrow strip of land, GL's former pad...I wonder how they would shoehorn an entrance there now with Firefall sitting over there. On the other hand, a perfect spot (though need space for the station) for a small spinner coaster would be between Boomerang Bay and Rapids...theme it to it's woodsy area that surrounds it?

Here are some shots of Firefall in action from June 1st, 2008.

Kelly and I ended up getting to the park later in the afternoon, so the lighting wasn't ideal for photography. I went back later that evening to snag some night shots, but the fire effect wasn't working again. At that point I locked my camera stuff up, and caught some night rides on Flight Deck, Psycho Mouse, Firefall, Orbit, and Survivor.

Hopefully the third times a charm when it comes to shooting Firefall. You also gotta love the extended hours this season that actually makes night rides/photography possible throughout most of the Summer again.

You can see the whole CGA update by clicking my signature banner below.

-Sean

01.jpg.48aa32eae3987386143bc47e2e7ecb71.jpg

02.jpg.01712a36073494fe54e4a959cc842043.jpg

03.jpg.b6a86f538c7b2239f3c9c814cef7f5bf.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.eaf145481c539c6c8cf1fec3b2bb0ac0.jpg

Actually, the height variance was approved. An interesting account of the discussion/presentation is in these minutes (Item #9) from the Santa Clara planning commission:

http://santaclaraca.gov/pdf/minutes/PlanningCommission-20080528.pdf

I wish I was there to see the PowerPoint and hea about the construction schedule... surveying could start any time, really.

I have redecided that CF is really turning CGA around nicely-(except for the name changes!!!) As you can see they really care about the park:

-We get a new ride right away for this year(which looks very nice I have to admit)

-New ice show this year

-Longer hours

-Next year-a gigantic woodie

When do you think we should expect to see another coaster after the giant woodie? I hope we don't have to wait long. Paramount was awfle.

I have redecided that CF is really turning CGA around nicely-(except for the name changes!!!) As you can see they really care about the park:

-We get a new ride right away for this year(which looks very nice I have to admit)

-New ice show this year

-Longer hours

-Next year-a gigantic woodie

When do you think we should expect to see another coaster after the giant woodie? I hope we don't have to wait long. Paramount was awfle.

Burn the Grizz down and lets get some Intamin AG goodness! Something along the lines of Storm Runner

EDIT: Here is a great vid of the ride and FX working.

While the ride program doesn't look exciting, the theming is really killer. CGA really stepped up on this, it gives me the warm and fuzzies to think what kind of quality upgrades, new rides (woodie included) we're in for.

^Regarding the program: other than Firefall and Voodoo, I'm a Top Spin virgin. I haven't actually ridden one with a good program. However, since Firefall has the amazing fire and water effects, I think it kicks Voodoo's A$$.

Has anyone else noticed something? When the ride first opened, Firefall had a really fun program, I remember lot's of swinging and flipping. But lately, I've been noticing they hit the brakes and causes it to swing much less (I see this backstage while on break and such). It would be nice to see them have a program with multiple flips. However, the ride is still worth it for the special FX.

Has anyone else noticed something? When the ride first opened, Firefall had a really fun program, I remember lot's of swinging and flipping. But lately, I've been noticing they hit the brakes and causes it to swing much less (I see this backstage while on break and such). It would be nice to see them have a program with multiple flips. However, the ride is still worth it for the special FX.

I noticed this too because I rode it on Memorial Day Weekend when it was flipping a ton and then I went on Monday and it was braked like crazy!

I still have yet to ride Firefall. Haven't made it out there since April. From what I've seen on videos, this does look quite fun: The full speed swing over, still a bit let down by the half a flip - 1 flip, but the free swinging gondola at full speed looks quite crazy followed by a nice long hang upside down session. I'm going out to CGA this sunday with my cousin, bro, and coworker to satisfy some coaster cravings. Anyone else going to be there this sunday (6/22)? I'll be in usual coaster enthusiast attire: TPR shirt, etc...

"Cedar Fair, owners of Great America, holds a long term lease on the ground desired by the 49ers and has indicated they intend to use the overflow parking in their expansion plans for the future."

Could it be? Could they actually be thinking about expanding the park maybe into the main lot and use the overflow as the main lot? That would be so awesome and would be really great for this park, not to mention it would open up a lot of room for more coasters. I wounder what exactly do they mean by 'expansion plans?'

^ They could expand behind Top Gun (Flight Deck) that would be so great if they were willing to do that. At least CF is making CGA better then what ever the heck Paramount did ti the park. Alls I got to say right noe is Great Job CGA I can see your not treating the park as the low man on the todoem pole I guess they would say.

Are they building a DLR-style (AKA: HUGE) parking garage for the 49ers? Because with that, they can pull a "California Adventure" and expand into the now unneeded parking lot.

"Cedar Fair, owners of Great America, holds a long term lease on the ground desired by the 49ers and has indicated they intend to use the overflow parking in their expansion plans for the future."

Where was the source on that quote? Thats exciting!

That sounds good. Yes, still heading off to CGA today, getting ready to leave. It should be interesting as the air's all smokey, hearing another fire in the Santa Cruz Mtns is going again. Finally to ride Firefall, with extra theming - smokey air!

You can thank the weird weather yesterday for that (random lighting). I was thinking of going to the park but when I stepped outside it was 103 degrees..... with sprinkling rain and thunder n lighting

The possible coming apocalypse changed my mind.

Where was the source on that quote? Thats exciting!

The link was already posted on page #16 but here it is again:

http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/NC/0/806.html

It also mentions Cedar Fair wants to grow the park in both attractions and attendance, basically because it's better business for them but great for us because we get a better, possibly bigger park with more rides.

...now if they would just do something about Grizzly, I have an idea....

(see signature below)