TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Any best seat for Vortex?

Any random bench in the vicinity of Vortex would be the best seat.

BTW, are you actually #1rollercoasterfan with a new username? Your posting style (half a dozen inane questions in nearly every post) is eerily similar.

So I wasn't the only one that thought that. Haha. Very annoying "style" of posting.

Yup. Same person. Looks like they were just banned and were trying to be sneaky.

Thanks for pointing this out, guys.

As Shakespeare wrote: "What's in a name? That which we call a turd by any other name would smell as crappy." Or something like that.

Does anybody like the new Happy Feet movie? I really don't care for it. Spongebob was better.

I honestly like Happy Feet. At first I was a bit skeptical because I really didn't know what to expect. But when I got on it, I actually enjoyed it! Sure, it's not as fantastic as Spongebob (especially 3D wise), but it's still very exciting!

Happy Feet was a fresh experience but to me it feels like it ends abruptly, and also thought the same as far as 'who we are' in the video. Are we watching a regular film or are we one of the penguins? Just a little confusing

I can easily explain the 'who are we' question, it's basically because they just got a random scene from the actual movie and somehow edited it and programmed it into a ride.

Alright, so the big write up of opening weekend!

Well, I got the displeasure of missing out on the whole opening ceremony as it was my Saturday for work. However, since the park was open until 10, and I got off at 4, why not head out there for some evening rides on Gold Striker? To shave off potential Saturday afternoon traffic, I hopped on the Capitol Corridor/Amtrak to get out there and finally met up with the gang. First wait of the night was about 80-90 minutes. The area was full of life!

Finally we get to ride! Awesome as always! Second time of riding the line was more like an hour or so. By the time we had gotten on the final it was already 10:00, being dark. First night ride! I mentioned a few pages back about the night ride experience. There are plenty of floodlights to illuminate the track, as well as some light pollution generated from Xtreme. Still a neat experience though and plunging down in an almost dark tunnel is pretty cool! Light does penetrate though the white infill though. I got in 2 whole rides on Gold Striker Saturday, as well as a ride on Flight Deck and Orbit.

Sunday, I got there at opening where people were already in line for Gold Striker. The park had opened the gates prior to the 10:00 opening which honestly I like. Sure the rides are not open yet but this beats standing in line at security to get in while things get clustered.

GoldyPromo2.thumb.jpg.0753d36f1b9117b25140769489e56b1c.jpg

Another random photo I figured I'd add...apparently the SJ Mercury News were there snapping photos of yesterday's morning rides. I'm in Row 10, see if you can spot me :)

Wait times Sunday started off at an hour and eventually quickened down to 30-40 minutes with the full queue. The queue remained pretty consistent throughout the entire day, though many of the GP kept leaving as soon as they entered as "the line was too long for them." Perhaps they think this is Grizzly? I will gladly wait an hour for this coaster!

Other highlights included checking out the Happiness is Snoopy show, and short lines on the other rides. Flight Deck's line was actually moving rather quick too!

Here's an offride compilation I put together from opening weekend with more angles. Here you go!

Here's a few photos...took much less than I actually anticipated. I spent most of my time behind the camera filming actually.

CGA-5-2_2.thumb.jpg.9f4dc1b5eca870d19276befbe80c25d5.jpg

Ready to enjoy my gold rush!

CGA-5-2_3.thumb.jpg.abeb4bab81b8c7b64902f3c6d4736017.jpg

Wood...sexy...

CGA-5-2_8.thumb.jpg.4d1a39cfdb176d37ca1af6ecce331e7a.jpg

Yes, this is the line, wrapping around and heading into the Star Tower plaza. Keep in mind the line stops at the entrance sign.

CGA-5-2_15.thumb.jpg.0dea7d3143606bcc3a506e46ac6aa461.jpg

Fast forward to afternoon, let's check out the now open Happiness is Snoopy!

CGA-5-2_20.thumb.jpg.6463e69e2a5c55b66cd9848d3244fe67.jpg

Happiness is...

CGA-5-2_35.thumb.jpg.0549ee53694fe2e91727d044e7749555.jpg

...Snoopy!

CGA-5-2_107.thumb.jpg.0342004b8552ed3b1e471d9ab01a9e17.jpg

Did I mention, there's airtime in Happiness is Snoopy?

CGA-5-2_144.thumb.jpg.3a90a84ef84fee3e8a4be6ff4c4a4eea.jpg

You all should check out this show next time you go, a very nice production!

CGA-5-2_146.thumb.jpg.10c72afe9e33a3cc38fd6d804a81024c.jpg

Back at GS...what was once a dormant plaza is now full of life!

CGA-5-2_148.thumb.jpg.b7d57a2fc9c1e30e7c9342775ea6f770.jpg

Starting here was a common site today.

CGA-5-2_149.thumb.jpg.f7815bea4afc6fe26f8decb1178bcc0e.jpg

Using all switchbacks...During the morning through afternoon, I actually advise you bring a hat or something to provide shade for your face.

CGA-5-2_151.thumb.jpg.f408c5e24ce74b1a0d2c374e6fde4443.jpg

Playing with balls :) (A kendama that is :) )

CGA-5-2_159.thumb.jpg.815ea46019deab941f928b8612f485bc.jpg

Wheee!

night.thumb.jpg.a3de528f4d446d489054fcfd2e79942a.jpg

And I'll end it with an evening shot from Saturday evening.

GSonridephoto1.thumb.jpg.f15062a2f93d7372984d2506e971611a.jpg

And of course you can't forget the onride photo (taken Saturday night).

I thought I would also post a small Trip Report about Gold Striker's Opening day!

So the day started off by waiting for Roger Ross to greet us in the park and give us the the information about what was going on in the morning with the opening ceremony. We all then moved over to the ride's Fast Lane entrance where we waited for the ride crew to finish testing and for the pyrotechnics crew to finish all of their work/setup. We were then led up into the station and loaded into the first "official" train for the ride's opening! We waited for the ceremony to start, once the ribbon was cut the train was dispatched and we were headed up the lift. As we made it just a little bit past half way fireworks were launched off the former Imax building, once we headed down the first drop more fireworks were launched from the lift! I will say, it was the best ride on any coaster I have ever had, I doubt anything could top that one ride.

Here's some pictures from the ride's opening day!

2008827300_GoldStrikeroutsidemaingate.thumb.jpg.91e84e3c054a4385cb8eb8311c9f597e.jpg

Waiting outside the main gate, Gold Striker is taunting us.

moretesting2.thumb.jpg.72605c16c7a6739b915e2ded817fb7b4.jpg

When we walked in Gold Striker was testing.

peoplewaitingforgoldstrikertoopen_1.thumb.jpg.452275ba8e06f83427551dac230eb251.jpg

These people are at the beginning of the line, and waited for the ride to open!

anotherstationview.thumb.jpg.030c0c56d593881b3aae419160c43c16.jpg

Before we were allowed to board the train we stayed up in the station for a bit, really offers some great views!

stationviewoftrain.thumb.jpg.bf8e5f83b6e6d23ec2c398a40b3b44bf.jpg

An inside look of the station with the empty train.

viewofliftandfirstdrop.thumb.jpg.68670c17c18965e248d721d9bfb816f1.jpg

Another view from the station.

peoplewaitingforgoldstrikertoopen.thumb.jpg.b9924776030c18e8fcd8e8aebad3768d.jpg

After our ride this is where the line stretched, the queue wasn't opened yet.

goldstrikerentrance.thumb.jpg.c00511c66b0baf4368e7fff8d04a02c2.jpg

Time to get back in line!

theyarewatchingyou.thumb.jpg.b08aad2a3dfc222bf3d2182ff7b7031a.jpg

There is also this security camera in the main section of the ride's queue.

ridersenjoyinggoldstriker.thumb.jpg.4cc07a1f7e099cc727cb89d41ddc7b48.jpg

A train full of happy riders.

viewoffirstdropfromqueue.thumb.jpg.1254253199a4182cca3d1a42880eb536.jpg

The queue really offers some nice views as well.

trainzoomingby.thumb.jpg.a7e103f454eed75f86ea94df4cefc192.jpg

Train flying by the station.

riderscomingintothestation.thumb.jpg.6c60a9dd93ee0bbb956791b41d231d22.jpg

A train full of happy riders coming into the station.

betterstartoweratnight.thumb.jpg.3ecf26c0d7075c47f8dc72798b070908.jpg

Now a few night time shots!

goldyliftatnight.thumb.jpg.b825fbbda6225a7af7b3272add4bbe68.jpg

firstdropnight.thumb.jpg.72e2ffef4cfb8247435d26afe7db77f2.jpg

wallofgoldyatnight.thumb.jpg.7c6734caad327255cfa7d749ae5ea1d6.jpg

Only reason I don't like this wall is because it blocks part of the train, so taking pictures is hard.

Other than that, I hope you all enjoyed!

I actually saw that yesterday but decided not to post about it. It is really sad that a well established location has to put up with this BS. It's the classic airport scenario all over again. In the mean time, I guess it's time to enjoy the ride while we can before it becomes a gravel ornament again...thanks to the lovely prudes.

Funny thing was that the other day at the park, We were talking to some GP (well educated ones at that) about Gold Striker and it's roller coaster ride it went through before it became a reality. It turned out the ones we were speaking to used to work for Nortel (one of the tenants who were complaining back then). He thought it was absolutely ridiculous...as in "What is wrong with these people? It's an amusement park for crying out loud!" So yea, thanks Poo-dential for giving the park and us guests all of this frustration! While we were frustrated that the ride wasn't open on time, the park was probably even moreso frustrated that they couldn't open their new attraction, something that's going to boost revenue in a timely manner. Prudential, you suck.

MFT.thumb.jpg.268f08d5571810d412118f825ac733f1.jpg

And this is how Gold Striker feels about the whole thing :)

Edited by Angry_Gumball

You have got to be kidding me. www.screamscape.com/html/california_s_great_america.htm

Do you think that, maybe, some executive at Prudential had a bad experience on a roller coaster as a kid? As in, vomited in front of his friends? So, now he has to make sure no one else can have fun.

Well this explains the spontaneous opening on Friday and the rushed media event. The whole thing really ticks me off that a company is going these great lengths when they will end up being the losing ones in the long run. What I don't under stand is why can't they do the sound tests inside of their own dang building, do they even know if they could hear the ride from inside?! Im afraid that the ride may need to close down eventually so even more walls can be installed to make the Prudes happy. Im fine with the walls them self it's just the stupid reasoning behind them.

^This... I don't mind the walls, though the infill is a bit...yea...ugly? My main concern though is seeing more spontaneous closures because that one rumble through the already insulated and barrier'd turn was .0000009db too loud....so loud that it interferes with with the hums of their air conditioning systems, computers, and so loud that they can't hear themselves type. Heaven forbid if they can't even hear themselves fart...

As said, do noise tests inside the offices, not on top of the garages. I could swear I saw some people up top of those garages during the promo shoot. Whether if they were spectators or people listening in on the ride I don't know. Just sucks that the park has to go through this hassle.

I do think it is appropriate for CGA to be a considerate neighbor and put up sound walls to minimize disturbance to the nearby buildings, but there is reasonable and then there is ridiculous. This case is sounding a lot closer to ridiculous every time I hear about it. Now, if the ride caused distracting noise in the workspace that wasn't there before, that would be one thing, but doing a noise test on the parking garage? Who is out there for more than a few minutes a day and why would the small amount of additional noise be any concern to them?

I don't know...I really think if you move in next to an amusement park, unless they do something to deliberately mess with your business you need to just accept that noise will always be present. I can't imagine Cedar Fair is happy with this at all and I'm a little surprised the city is going along with it too. Hopefully it all gets resolved quickly and Gold Striker doesn't have any more significant downtime. CGA really needs this ride if they want to remain competitive in the Northern California theme park market, and I know I'll be very, very unhappy if something causes it to be down when I visit next month.

Next these idiots will complain about the traffic noise on GA Prkwy, which has been there forever, and force the city to enclose it in sound walls. Why don't they (poodential) enclose their dumpy building in a sound proof enclosure instead of the park having to do anything. You know if you can hear cheering fans from the stadium then this whole issue is mute and should be thrown out.... what are they gonna do at that point, force the 49ers/city to put sound walls around the stadium..... where does it end? I'll tell you, when these morons go away!

Well if it comes down to sound walling the stadium vs. Prud. guess who is going to get told to get the Eff out?

I'll give you a hint..... it starts with a p.

Maybe that's what needs to happen to finally get rid of this infection.

I think everyone knows you can't hear this ride at all in their offices and that this is just a ridiculous frivolous legal tactic.

Well this explains the spontaneous opening on Friday and the rushed media event.

Was talking with a suit while waiting for the Gold Striker event to start Saturday. He said they were waiting all week for the letter from city officials saying they are able to open the ride. It came down to the wire, and they ended up getting the letter around 2:30 Friday afternoon, which as you all know is when the ride "officially" opened.

Nice to at least have confirmation that all the tunnels and walls were indeed due to prudential complaining and not just theming (although the drop tunnel was done nicely and I actually like it) I almost think it would be better if some of those last minute sound walls were turned into short tunnels. Maybe if P' complains further that might happen.

I wanted to believe CGA that it was really theming and not in response to claims but never fully bought that story. I can understand that they wouldn't want to tick P' off further by complaining about them publicly.

Incidentally I just saw a Gold Striker TV commercial during the French Open showing all the different elements of the ride and this animation did not even have the first drop tunnel..it must have been made before they decided to add that, let alone all the other walls.

My mind has, more or less, been blown. I guess all the questions that have previously been raised have been explained. Now, I do wonder what the future of this ride will be. Will it become tunnel: the ride? Will the prudes back off their claim? (It is unlikely it will be that easy)?

I do wonder if these people are really complaining about noise, or if it is simply a power struggle. I live a block away from a public park. A small section of the park had remained in a dilapidated condition for quite some time, so a nearby private elementary school, which has no playground, funded to build a new, open playground in the fenced off area. The park now looks so much nicer, and everyone is happy with the changes.

Yeah, not really. People complained.

I have no idea why. Some people down the street from me are literally complaining that they made an area nicer. This proves that sometimes, people complain just for power, and not actually because they are bothered by what is actually there. This could be what is happening here, just on a much larger scale. Or, it could be argued that this may be, of all things, a publicity stunt by Prudential.

I have no idea why. Some people down the street from me are literally complaining that they made an area nicer. This proves that sometimes, people complain just for power, and not actually because they are bothered by what is actually there.

The city council open forums on Parks and Recreation aren't really too far off of what actually goes on at those things.

As others have said, it's the airport syndrome at its finest. And yes people do complain about these things without rhyme or reason, and go to great lengths to get what they want. I work for a railroad (part of my territory happens to pass less than a mile from CGA actually. The tracks are right behind the 49ers stadium), and we constantly have to deal with new homes being built right up to the tracks, and the new residents complaining about the noise from trains on a line that has been in use continuously since the 1860's. We actually have homeowners who camp outside and write down locomotive numbers of trains making excessive horn noise, noise that we are required to make due to federal regulations. Fortunately, railroads are exempt from local and state law. CGA unfortunately, does not enjoy such privileges. There are many political and legal opinions and things I could say about the whole legal aspect of a noisy business in a secluded area later being surrounded by the city and its occupants, but this really isn't the forum for it. All I'm going to say is that it needs to stop. People are just too damn self righteous these days.

Take a look at this from a possible different angle. Who is complaining? The tenants or the owners of the building? They are probably not one and the same. If that is the case I can see the complaint having more to do with money that being the lease payment. The tenant would want a reduction in payment because the sound environment has changed. The building owner would complain because the value of the building would decrease because of the noise levels.

Anyone who would build next to a theme park and not expect noise is nuts!

Take a look at this from a possible different angle. Who is complaining? The tenants or the owners of the building? They are probably not one and the same. If that is the case I can see the complaint having more to do with money that being the lease payment. The tenant would want a reduction in payment because the sound environment has changed. The building owner would complain because the value of the building would decrease because of the noise levels.

Anyone who would build next to a theme park and not expect noise is nuts!

Very valid point. I think a while back (last year) we saw that Prudential was speaking up on behalf of its tenants. I can also see tenants wanting decreased rates due to the .0000000001db too loud scream and rumble. In the end this all sucks...why were buildings ever set up there is beyond me and is a pretty poor decision in my opinion.

Now riding in Star Tower the coaster really isn't that loud. I've been lucky enough to go down as the train goes past...no different than me hearing the jet flying overhead at work. There is a slight rumble you feel in Star Tower (which is pretty awesome!) but those offices, more insulated than the tower should have no problems...not to mention they aren't right next to the coaster...

We actually have homeowners who camp outside and write down locomotive numbers of trains making excessive horn noise, noise that we are required to make due to federal regulations. Fortunately, railroads are exempt from local and state law. CGA unfortunately, does not enjoy such privileges.

I thought they passes some new ting saying that they are only allowed to blow the horn at crossings that don't have signals?

Anyways, this is pretty lame but if I understand it correctly the ride will continue to operate till at least June30th?

Building a wooden coaster seems like the wrong decision now, but I guess once this gets ironed out they probably wont have to go though this again because there isn't to many things they can build that would be any louder.

Building this was most definitely NOT the wrong decision...... the only wrong decision that was made was an office building being built next to a themepark.

The 'noise' this wood coaster generates is not just from the coaster itself, you also have to take into consideration the screaming riders, which can be very loud. Screaming riders can be on any coaster so steel or not if they were to build in that area again, unless P or whoever is making this complaint goes away, this will probably have to be dealt with again. But it should be easier the second time since they can use GS as an example of what they may have to do.

And I keep saying this but it will be very interesting to see what comes of all of this once the stadium opens.

I've code named CGA's next coaster Flying Uranium...otherwise known as FU for short...and will always be referred to as "FU." This coaster will be a hyper coaster in the location where the proposed Morgan Hyper was to go. Lets make it a non sand filled Beemer with no sound walls either

We actually have homeowners who camp outside and write down locomotive numbers of trains making excessive horn noise, noise that we are required to make due to federal regulations. Fortunately, railroads are exempt from local and state law. CGA unfortunately, does not enjoy such privileges.

I thought they passes some new ting saying that they are only allowed to blow the horn at crossings that don't have signals?

That is not the case. Horns are required at all crossings, signaled and unsignaled. If a crossing is upgraded with certain features the Federal Railroad Administration can designate it as a "Quiet Zone", but the upgrades are expensive and the city is responsible for paying for them. Even then it doesn't mean engineers aren't allowed to blow their horns, it means engineers aren't required to blow their horns. They still can if they want to and nobody can stop them.

Getting off topic here, back to CGA.

You have to wonder how this is going to effect future additions to the park. Isn't this pretty much exactly why Cedar Fair wanted to dump the place to begin with?