TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

The only reason Psyclone got riders was because Deja Vu's exit nearly funneled directly into Psyclone's queue.

I do remember the days of the operators having to have at least 16 riders on the train to dispatch it to avoid valleying.

Having never ridden the west coast Grizzly, compared to what I have ridden at Kings Dominion, this version looks more "sprawled" out. Is that so or am I imagining that. It doesn't seem to have any edge to it whatsoever. KD's version, after the sleep inducing turnaround, all hell breaks loose. To anyone who has ridden both, is this the case? It just seemed to kinda meander through the layout with no pep of any kind.....

Having never ridden the west coast Grizzly, compared to what I have ridden at Kings Dominion, this version looks more "sprawled" out. Is that so or am I imagining that. It doesn't seem to have any edge to it whatsoever. KD's version, after the sleep inducing turnaround, all hell breaks loose. To anyone who has ridden both, is this the case? It just seemed to kinda meander through the layout with no pep of any kind.....

Yeah, it makes no sense to me. KD's Grizzly and CW'S Wild Beast are the same ride but for some reason the CGA Grizzly got butchered.

Yeah, it makes no sense to me. KD's Grizzly and CW'S Wild Beast are the same ride but for some reason the CGA Grizzly got butchered.

To anyone who has ridden Grizzly East or Wild Beast (lol, they rhyme!), how are their dispatch intervals? Yesterday when I was at the park the intervals averaged at around 3:45-ish, mainly due to the wretched seat belt + "failsafe lap bar" seat belt combo. The ride doesn't do anything crazy at all, has microscopic floater air at best, and is almost completely forceless, so I really don't get the seat belt overkill. I imagine the loading and dispatching of the PTCs on Grizzly East and Wild Beast isn't nearly as troublesome.

The asinine seatbelt requirement might be the doings of something like OSHA- it really is stupid though and just slows everything down.

That's a Cedar Fair thing.

It makes an already boring ride take that much longer to get on to.

I'm with you. Seat belt is definitely not needed on Grizzly.

You think if you just sat there still, that you could ride it without any restraint? Seems like it is just an awful dreadful ride

LOL! It's so slow you probably could!

Like Revolution, it ran fine FOR YEARS with lap bars only...

^ In addition to the across-the-lap seatbelts, the ride has ANOTHER belt connecting the lap bar to the seat divider, introduced for the 2012 season. And yes, it has to be checked as well. Combine the checking of the lap bars, the seat belts, and this belt, and you get dispatch times nearing 4 minutes. The best dispatch I've clocked with this setup was a little over 2:30.

e60c0c58ad8611e1b2fe1231380205bf_7.jpg.df05e964e85f2d7a347d0c02458d2a60.jpg

Edited by Blue Fire Guy

You think if you just sat there still, that you could ride it without any restraint? Seems like it is just an awful dreadful ride

You could be napping in the station while seated in the train, have the ride dispatch, run the course, and likely still not be awakened.

Still surprised that Cedar Fair hasn't ordered new trains, cause even Six Flags phased out all of their Morgan trains, with Monstre at La Ronde being the last one in the chain. Their now being replaced with 4 brand new PTC trains.

I can see it coming in the future though. I don't think they want to take out another coaster for a while so Grizzly will be staying and can't imagine those Morgan trains are going to last much longer. Not to mention Summers' coasters work well with PTC trains.

^ In addition to the across-the-lap seatbelts, the ride has ANOTHER belt connecting the lap bar to the seat divider, introduced for the 2012 season. And yes, it has to be checked as well. Combine the checking of the lap bars, the seat belts, and this belt, and you get dispatch times nearing 4 minutes. The best dispatch I've clocked with this setup was a little over 2:30.

I recognize the seat belt model in that pic

Still surprised that Cedar Fair hasn't ordered new trains, cause even Six Flags phased out all of their Morgan trains, with Monstre at La Ronde being the last one in the chain. Their now being replaced with 4 brand new PTC trains.

I can see it coming in the future though. I don't think they want to take out another coaster for a while so Grizzly will be staying and can't imagine those Morgan trains are going to last much longer. Not to mention Summers' coasters work well with PTC trains.

Oh, those Morgan trains won't leave for a while...will continue to operate for the foreseeable future... Hey, maybe we'll see some more restraining systems come into force (like leg and arm cuffs, OTSRs, maybe a few extra seatbelts for each rider...and maybe put the triangular wheels back onto the train...maybe square wheels if we're extremely lucky!

(Skip to approx the 25:50 mark to get to the Grizzly hotness, or just watch the whole thing )

To give Grizzly some praise among the sea of criticizing, that final turn was pulled off rather well and no longer jolts you. Now I wish they'd reprofile and insert some element between the 2 turnarounds, spice it up! I'm not expecting Grizzly to become El Toro but would be nice to have a little "whee!" factor to it.

I feel like whoever was at the drawing board for designing Grizzly designed this as a mean joke...Almost like taking the SNES Wolfenstein 3D game, and turning it into Super 3D Noah's Ark (for you video game nuts out there).

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Yes our Grizzly is really just drawn out! While the Eastern Grizz has multiple humps between turns, ours just kind of...just goes through a looooong flat curve. Why ours got neutered/designed this way is beyond me.

Just RMC track this bitch or tear it down! two cents>

Yes our Grizzly is really just drawn out! While the Eastern Grizz has multiple humps between turns, ours just kind of...just goes through a looooong flat curve. Why ours got neutered/designed this way is beyond me.

Just RMC track this bitch or TAER it down! two cents>

Fixed. Needed a little extra kick to it.

You could be napping in the station while seated in the train, have the ride dispatch, run the course, and likely still not be awakened.

I think something happened with the restraint system a few years ago because the lapbar doesn't even lock. It's held down by that stupid buckle.

They would not run the train if the only thing holding the lap bars down was the belt.

Actually, Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain still runs Morgan trains. However, if the rumors of it getting a Rocky Mountain makeover are true, those will only be around for another year or two.

I might be completely wrong, but I've got a feeling once Gold Striker opens Grizzly's popularity will drop significantly (even though it is more of a family coaster and Gold Striker is more of a thrill ride). I could definitely see Cedar Fair keeping the current trains for a while, and then once it is time to retire the trains they just tear down the ride and put something new in. I doubt new trains would really improve the coaster, and Grizzly just doesn't seem like the right type of ride for a Rocky Mountain treatment.