TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I was in the park as a guest today, just for a few hours. It was a little busy, but the waits were managable. Longest we waited was 20 minutes for Flight Deck.

^As much as the Drop Tower crew would love to dispatch faster, occasionally there are some delays. For example, guests with loose articles, children that need their height checked, etc. I always keep that in mind if I'm waiting in line for a ride that takes a bit longer to dispatch. There's usually a reason why it wasn't started sooner.

I know about things like that that take to long to dispatch. Also some people don't pay attention to the signs that say no loose articles on the ride, and then when the ride op checks the restraints they see the guests brought loose articles on the ride have to unlock the restraints, put the loose article away, lock the restraint and recheck the restraint. I can't tell you how many times I've waited in line or been on a ride where that happens, and it makes me realize how stupid and idiotic some people can be, by not reading the sign or listening to the ride ops spiel.

Edited by Zeppelinfreak

Back to CGA... I was near the park today, was actually going to my niece's softball tournament (which was an epic fail on her team's behalf, got slaughtered). From where we were sitting in the stands, I could see Drop Tower peeking above the office buildings. I did notice (from what I could see) that one cabin is back to being useless again. Also, sadly, I noticed dispatches seeming to happen every 5-8 minutes.

Yep, cabin #1 has been sitting dormant for the past couple weeks. I always choose to ride on the left side of the tower now because it has three cabins running...higher capacity means faster line! I remember a time last season when the Tower was running three cabins total...it was nightmarish.

About the dispatches, there seems to be a sharp increase in GP with coins, making more work for the ride ops. Last time, my brother and I noticed some stupid kid behind us in line getting coins from his mom. My brother told the ride op before we got on, and the kid got nailed for it. It was pretty funny.

About the dispatches, there seems to be a sharp increase in GP with coins, making more work for the ride ops.

FRIKIN' IDIOTS!!!

Last time, my brother and I noticed some stupid kid behind us in line getting coins from his mom. My brother told the ride op before we got on, and the kid got nailed for it. It was pretty funny.

GOOD! Stupid kid!

Yep, cabin #1 has been sitting dormant for the past couple weeks. I always choose to ride on the left side of the tower now because it has three cabins running...higher capacity means faster line! I remember a time last season when the Tower was running three cabins total...it was nightmarish.

About the dispatches, there seems to be a sharp increase in GP with coins, making more work for the ride ops. Last time, my brother and I noticed some stupid kid behind us in line getting coins from his mom. My brother told the ride op before we got on, and the kid got nailed for it. It was pretty funny.

I remember when only 3 cabins were working...was a major bummer because the lines were too long (by my standards) plus the lower capacity.

So parents were okaying their kids to drop coins from the tower? I would have called the parents out on that one as well as notifying the ride operators. Do the parents (who are supposed to be role models for the kids, telling them right from wrong) not realize how dangerous a 60mph falling piece of metal is going to be? Maybe they should be the ones struck by that falling coin so they can realize the stupid move they enticed their kids to do.

I remember when only 3 cabins were working...was a major bummer because the lines were too long (by my standards) plus the lower capacity.

So parents were okaying their kids to drop coins from the tower? I would have called the parents out on that one as well as notifying the ride operators. Do the parents (who are supposed to be role models for the kids, telling them right from wrong) not realize how dangerous a 60mph falling piece of metal is going to be? Maybe they should be the ones struck by that falling coin so they can realize the stupid move they enticed their kids to do.

This should be on The Weirdest Things the 'GP' Have Said thread

My friend actually got hit in the head by a falling object, not from Drop Zone but from Delta Flyer/ Eagle Flight. What happened was a group of kids threw a rock down and it had hit him. It ended up giving him a decent size bruise on his head. Im not sure if he told a ride op but I have no idea why anyone would do this.

My friend actually got hit in the head by a falling object, not from Drop Zone but from Delta Flyer/ Eagle Flight. What happened was a group of kids threw a rock down and it had hit him. It ended up giving him a decent size bruise on his head. Im not sure if he told a ride op but I have no idea why anyone would do this.

It happens and the only way we as ride ops know is if other rides call us. So if you get hit go to the nearest ride and tell them to call eagles flight or delta flyer. The people loading them in tell them the rules and if you don't follow the rules you will get kicked out. That's what the please note sign in the cabin means.

That kind of happened to me. I was walking toward the Game Time "Sports Bar" and a block of ice went flying over my head. I looked around thinking were it could've come from, then I realized it was from Delta Flyer.

^I just picked up a cupon at my local Burger King. It also supports RW Sac, RW San Dimas, and Waterworld in Concord.

Thanks, I'll check BK up there. How much is the savings with the coupon?

I believe it was $6. I actually picked it up in Sacramento, and the front simply said it was for RW Sac. However, when I looked at the back, I noticed it supported 3 other parks.

When I was there one day this year this stupid teen girl flung her hand backwards & hit me right in the chin. Any harder it could have broken a bone. It was in the area of Stealth's station before going up the stairs to the 3 big slides. What a dummie. You don't go flinging your hands like that at a theme park which could smack people right in the face.

People standing up on rides seems to be the big trend this year (from what I've seem). I saw a row of people my age on White Water Falls where a couple guys decided they wanted to stand up just before and after the drop. Just what I would really want is a 200+ lb person becoming ejected from a ride and possibly hitting us other riders behind him.

With this noted, I just got back from the park a little while ago and once again, the park was pretty packed for a Sunday. Started off with light crowds for the first lap around the park (Except for Grizzly which had a full station and line spilling out onto the top portion of the ramp just before noon).

Firefall was running all day from what I saw, no breakdowns, not all fire effects were working (volcanoes did spit out some fire at the end). The cycle did feel the same as previous but at the same time, felt more 'intensified' or loose with what it did. At one point in a partially loaded gondola I felt some side-to-side wobbles as the ride did it's high speed swing-around. Stress much? Maybe.

For those wondering about the mysterious bulldozer, I took a ride on the logger's only to see no activity whatsoever going on...not even a bulldozer so nothing worth getting pictures of back there. I did see however see some stuff going on around the Pictorium, some Club Blood assembly, atleast the outside path leading up to the building.

Also, not sure if you guys are in need of any updated signage for Tiki Twirl but here's for the TPR Park Index...was thinking of TPR earlier when walking by the ride's new signage so figured I may as well snag a photo of it for the index.

Later in the day many of the rides had longer lines. Flight Deck's line was spilling out onto the switchback ramps and some of the main path leading up to it. Vortex's line was spilling out to the entrance, and Demon's line started just a bit before the stairs leading up to the switchbacks. All in all, a busy day for the park.

99364223_tikitwirlsign.jpg.c3c20940ff4b61ed72e2f2a7311d5c3b.jpg

Well, I can assure you Toy Factory will still be there (I kind of peeked through the gaps between the claw machines situated in TF's exit and behind it you can clearly tell that TF was never even disassembled. I noticed this at the start of the season. Also, you can see Werewolf Canyon's sign pieces along the service rode along Flight Deck's lift (along with that blue tarp covering stuff up).

People standing up on rides seems to be the big trend this year.

As a ride op at Whitewater Falls, I can assure you that it's not a trend. Since my first season in 08, I think I've told at least 500 people to remain seated on just that ride. Ahh, the GP. How I just want to facepalm you all sometimes.

Nibbler i was jw how u know whats coming for haunt? My co worker also does haunt and he said as of right now he knows nothing about the upcoming haunt and says they never tell him anything

I work in Entertainment during regular season as well, we got an e-mail from management about when we need to let them know what we would like to do this year (If we were planning on going back to Haunt or if we are staying in our positions for the season) it included what the options are for the year and some of the plans for this year.

Speaking of which, Anyone interested in Joining the Haunt team for the 2011 season, Job fairs are as follows:

If you currently work in the park and will be transfering: you should have already received the information from your supervisor, if not, see them as it is this week.

Re-Hires (who do not currently work regular season in the park) Sat July 30th, 10am-3pm

New Hires: Saturday, August 6th, 10am-3pm

As always you will need to fill out your application online PRIOR to attending one of the above job fairs, the application is online now at the park's website http://www.cagreatamerica.com just click on jobs then "Apply online today" and fill out your information and select the Haunt job desired.