TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I'm sure that stadium is probably more of their main concern than adding the coaster...I'm guessing that once they get over this stadium hurdle (hopefully victorious) that we'll begin to see more stuff being pumped in to the park. I know it's been 10 years (or close to) since the park's seen a new coaster but a thing to consider, most of this lack of adding new coasters was during the Paramount years. Cedar Fair's now doing it's full 3rd year under it's Cedar Fair rebranding (not counting 2006 as that was a transitional point). We'll see what comes, hopefully for the better.

It took 3 or 4 years before they invested heavily into Michigan's Adventure, and that was due to the city wanting more money on water usage.. or something like that.

Dorney Park had problems as well with them trying to get Steel Force up.

Just another hurdle... it won't be the last.

Just be glad the park is still running. It could be like SFKK and FMP: (Hard Rock Park) parks that are no longer operating.

Absolutely! I am very thankfull for every new operating season. After all these years maybe they have something truly spectacular planned (besides the woodie) that they are waiting on, I hope I hope I hope.

1.) Don't hold your breath for any new woodie at CGA for a very long time. The Planning Commission already denied permits for height variance for SEVERAL alternate attractions proposed by the park of much smaller height. (Inside iggy)

2.) Economy, economy, ECONOMY!

3.) CF will not invest in the park significantly until the stadium situation is over. They can plan contingencies, but until that June vote, don't expect any movement or announcements from the park.

On that topic, how is Mineta International going to operate with a stadium just to the north of it? That'll be one sharp turn of a takeoff to avoid going right over it. Not to mention a major security risk come game days.

On that topic, how is Mineta International going to operate with a stadium just to the north of it? That'll be one sharp turn of a takeoff to avoid going right over it. Not to mention a major security risk come game days.

The stadium will not be any taller than anything else they already have.

University of Nevada, Las Vegas has an arena across the street and directly in the flight path of McCarran International Airport. The arena was built well after the airport and its fine. Not sure what the security risk would be...a crash? Well any area around an airport would run that same risk. Especially ours since its surrounded by homes, businesses, hotels and a university. The planes seem to make it up and down over all of them everyday, all day.

• 1 month later...

I'll be checking out this park for the first time on Sunday, May 2nd. Does anyone know if they have matched up their platinum pass systems to the rest of Cedar Fair?

When I visited Kings Dominion at the beginning of the month, I had to go to Guest Relations first to get a paper ticket. Of course I did not know this would be the case until AFTER I had stood in line to get in. Needless to say I was annoyed, but would have been less so if I would have known to go to Guest Relations first.

Not sure of what was disassembled exactly, but from what I could see, there where two lengths of chain on the ground last saturday. When I looked at the lift I could see the rest of the chain inside. By now maintainence might be installing the train but I won't know until this Saturday.

Just got back from Great America, and noticed on here that there are no pictures of Planet Snoopy yet. I snapped a few today to share with you all, and to add to the gallery. As a brief review, I'd say they did a nice job with the transformation, while it is a simple one. The newly painted rides and theme gave the park a fresh new look, even Woodstock Express (Originally Blue Streak during the Smurf era) looked brand new. Kidzville didn't look too much different other than no Hanna Barbera theme.

IMG_6987.JPG.04f11b7cd2b3051c23757518d477aba4.JPG

Buildings have been repainted, looks nice and bright. I think the Snoopy graphics adds a nice touch.

IMG_6988.JPG.7672787db5f3027a1503860437abd57e.JPG

Over to Spongebob's Boat Mobiles...wait, Peanuts Pirates.

IMG_6989.JPG.14a45912019f277ceaea9b250f05610d.JPG

The ride toppers (Giant Spongebob, sea plants) were replaced with a giant Snoopy, and little Woodstocks. Gone is the bubble-blowing pineapple and the soundtrack.

IMG_6993.JPG.625e8cc091a2bca048408650d7705dd1.JPG

Giant Snoopy prop

IMG_7001.JPG.0478c16bd6d1ba37a147f2bbd8fb1bc5.JPG

I decided that I couldn't pass up getting a picture with the Snoopy character.

IMG_7003.JPG.30953d61aafd278edda92a7f8818c952.JPG

What was formerly coconuts, now pumpkins! I think they did a nice job on the transformation, and would have never known that it was a Wild Thornberry's attraction.

IMG_7004.JPG.c2529fcbe2d39aa217e1827e4488f54a.JPG

Woodstock Express, the coaster that's now on it's 4th theme. It went from Smurf's Blue Streak to Nickelodeon's Green Slime Mine Car to Runaway Reptar to now, the Peanut's Woodstock Express.

IMG_7005.JPG.eb8fcf1b6f695540134f248d5c453210.JPG

Newly painted track.

IMG_7016.JPG.cdae0fb90fa93a479b71be4d8a6821bf.JPG

The rest of the ride sans the lift hill. Looks brand new!

IMG_7017.JPG.2661df02f83411d929b1e161958c8b92.JPG

Thanks for looking!