TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

B&M Zero-G Elements Question

While at WCB and riding Scream, I remembered how kick ass the sitdown version of B&M zero-g heartline roll/camelback element is. I like the sensation of the element better than how it's done on the inverted coasters.

Is there a reason the inverted coasters can't do the more angled camelback variation, and have to gradually slope down then do the inversion? I know a few people on here know quite a bit about engineering and physics and was just wondering why the variation exists at all.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*BEGIN DORKY MOMENT*

The Zero-G roll is based off the heartline as you may already know. What gives the Zero-G roll its, well "Zero-G" is the fact that the heartline, and the train, make the roll over a parabola. The Inverted coaster actually makes a Parabolic curve through the Zero-G roll like the sitdowns do. Its just like cresting a hill, but you are rotating around its axis, which makes it look like it "flattens out" in the middle of the roll.

*END DORKY MOMENT*

No idea if that answered anything for you!

*BEGIN DORKY MOMENT*

The Zero-G roll is based off the heartline as you may already know. What gives the Zero-G roll its, well "Zero-G" is the fact that the heartline, and the train, make the roll over a parabola. The Inverted coaster actually makes a Parabolic curve through the Zero-G roll like the sitdowns do. Its just like cresting a hill, but you are rotating around its axis, which makes it look like it "flattens out" in the middle of the roll.

*END DORKY MOMENT*

No idea if that answered anything for you!

I think I sort of understand what you're saying...essentially if B&M mimicked the camelback inversion on an inverted, it wouldn't actually be zero-g because it wouldn't be rolling over a parabola.

Exactly! If the element from Scream was just flipped and put on an inverted coaster, the heart line would be outside the parabola of curvature it should follow. here's an example on NL. Both of these examples were AHG'd from the same piece of track.

inverted.jpg.a6dde4b36b4380c2db0a0409f3771d0c.jpg

Now see how the heart line is below the track, the track has to dip down so that the train can follow the parabolic curve.

sitdown.jpg.e5b0dd2eba285178847849394ff2e7a4.jpg

See how the heart line follows a parabolic path? The track rotates around it so the train follows the parabolic path too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the difference in sensation is primarily due to the fact that your head is further from the track on a sit down. It therefore describes a larger circle when transitioning through the element.

I think it has to do with the arc of the element more than anything. Sitdowns are more exaggerated in their curve, wheras inverteds are a little shallower.

Either element is awesome, but the sit-down ones have more of a "HOLY F***" feeling to it. It's probably the only inversion on any sit-down looper that gets my attention.

I'll try putting this in lamens terms. But, B&M centers the axis of the turns around the center of the body, rather than the train. Thats causes their "perfect heart line." If you go to Riddler's Revenge and stand in the station, you'll notice that the track over turns a HECK OF A LOT before it actually goes straight back at the service brake (end of ride brake run). Thats because the center of the bodies is far away from the track. So i guess thats going back to inverted vs. sit down, is the center of the bodies are further away from the track on an inverted rather then a sit down. Hope that clarified things a bit.

Either element is awesome, but the sit-down ones have more of a "HOLY F***" feeling to it. It's probably the only inversion on any sit-down looper that gets my attention.

I feel the same way whenever I ride Medusa at SFDK. It's one of the most intense inversions, and my favorite part of the ride along with the sea serpent roll and the drop.

Both Kumba and Montu have GREAT zero-g rolls! But the Batman clones or Raptor's just didn't do anything for me...

So I think from this, we can conclude that Busch Gardens rules. (Or that the elements just vary from ride to ride?)

I definitely agree that Batman doesn't have the greatest Zero G roll in the world. It's more of like a quick snap then a drawn out floater inversion. Scream doesn't have the snap and on Scream you can really feel the 0 g's.

So I just think it depends on the actual design of the ride, but I have noticed that inverts seem to have more of a snap to them.

Yeah i love the zero g roll, thats definitely my favorite part of a well built B&M roller coaster. There's nothing better than going through an inversion while feeling weightlessness, it's AWESOME! But yeah i do agree about the zero g roll on batman, it isn't as good and kind of lacking. Maybe the pace there is too fast?

And Kumba and Scream! both have amazing zero g rolls. My favorite on an invert would have to be Montu. It's the one inverted coaster where i've felt the zero g roll the best.

But yeah i too have always wondered why the inverted zero g rolls look different, like a more flat look rather than the more definite curved top. Thanks for the insight guys.