TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Jahan's Awesome TPR-Midwest Trip Report!

arrowfanman

I like Kennywood, it's where I rode my first spinning coaster, EVER, and the flats they have there are awesome (including Autorace, the cars that just took off out of the station that was built in 1930) and they have a decent coaster selection.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that was a quick return...thank you

I'm sorry I crushed you on Thunderbolt....The second time I rode it I rode with the DILF, and I was inherently squeezed into Oblivion (no offense to Mr. Radford, but that ride can be lethal). Thats such a fun ride, except for the half-way to death penalty part.

Last year was my first visit to Kennywood, too--what a great park. Phantom's Revenge was my favorite new-to-me steel coaster last year.

^^A wild mouse where you're the mouse and creepy dudes in Haz-Mat suits are trying to kill you sounds pretty wacky to me.

Oddly, I liked Disaster Transport a lot. Probably because I've heard it get dumped on constantly for the past 10 years and had absolutely no expectation for it. I had never done a bobsled coaster either, and the darkness, albeit cheesy, sort of added to the experience. I wouldn't say it was a great ride, but it was fun at least.

I too find Disaster to be a "fun" ride. Most of the ragging that people have given it mostly relate to the somewhat wasted investment that was made in enclosing the ride as a quick follow up to Magnum in 1990.

Most of what makes a bobsled coaster is the visual of not having a true "track", and how the cars slide up the side of the trough on the turns. Enclosing this takes away this visual somewhat.

Also don't forget that this is Cedar Point, where everything is hyped to the max by some of the best marketing and PR folks in the industry. After the "over the top" ride that Magnum delivered a year prior, CP guests and enthusiasts may have had their expectations set to a level that was impossible to meet. That and the "Welcome to Alaska" greeting given at unload did have its share of WTF to it.

It's also one of the park's lower capacity coasters with a queue that is typically hidden from view, so it is really impossible to know how long the wait is until you are actually standing in line.

-Mark

^I actually think it's better to have the visual taken away. On outdoor bobleds the trains have usually run the track so many time you can see a "Track" shaped area of colorless track where the car is about to go. The trains don't tned to vary from that area much if at all. In disaster transport you know youre in a slide but you cant tell how far up youre about to go.

Last year was my first visit to Kennywood, too--what a great park. Phantom's Revenge was my favorite new-to-me steel coaster last year.

^^A wild mouse where you're the mouse and creepy dudes in Haz-Mat suits are trying to kill you sounds pretty wacky to me.

Or just another day living in Baltimore.

-Mark

I don't remember much of Kennywood but I feel like I hate it! I think Chuck, Dane and I just sat there and thought "Now what?". The park just didn't do it for me...I had seen it many times online and in books and was hyped up for it, but when we arrived I found a park similar to Beach Bend (fair-like park with a few major coaster installments) but their major attractions were crap, IMO. I'm glad to have gone don't get me wrong but the park was definitely one of the worst on the trip.

^Alma what?

Alma mater is Latin for "nourishing mother". It was used in ancient Rome as a title for the mother goddess, and in Medieval Christianity for the Virgin Mary. In modern times it is used to refer to the university or college a person attends or attended.

So, if I attended and graduated Harvard let's say 5 years ago, Harvard would be my alma mater.

^^Well sorry, I didn't realize me wondering what some things are bothered you in any way.

And yes, I do need to question these things, because that's how I learned english. And If I intend to keep talking to people who speak english I should porbably understand what they're saying, no? Even if it's a latin expression.

I don't remember much of Kennywood but I feel like I hate it! I think Chuck, Dane and I just sat there and thought "Now what?". The park just didn't do it for me...I had seen it many times online and in books and was hyped up for it, but when we arrived I found a park similar to Beach Bend (fair-like park with a few major coaster installments) but their major attractions were crap, IMO. I'm glad to have gone don't get me wrong but the park was definitely one of the worst on the trip.

Chiming in here a bit late with comments, but I'm curious as to what your previous park experience is to have left KW feeling underwhelmed. Outside of SCBB, California has not a single park that could even be considered "traditional" in my eyes. Sure, you have Pacific Park and Belmont Park, but neither are traditional- just modern mini parks in traditional settings if that makes any sense.

If a person is of the "need to get every single credit and then be bored" group, then yes, KW will not be your cup of tea. What KW has that nearly every other park wishes it had is soul. Not fabricated or themed soul, but the real deal. Their coasters are fun at best (with great settings), but its things like the Auto Ride, Carousel, Noah's Ark, Whip, Kanagaroo, Log Jammer (last Arrow flume left with the spillway coaster element), etc, etc that makes KW what it is. Also not knowing the group's schedule, if you weren't able to take a stroll around the grounds after dark, that was a big miss as well.

It's really all perception in what one gets out of a park experience. Now, if traditional parks aren't your thing, then that's fine. But I get the feeling that after spending two days at a mega coaster park like CP, then to follow that up with KW may have left some underwhelmed because they were so focused on what KW doesn't have, instead of the uniqueness that it does have.

-Mark

^^Well sorry, I didn't realize me wondering what some things are bothered you in any way.

And yes, I do need to question these things, because that's how I learned english. And If I intend to keep talking to people who speak english I should porbably understand what they're saying, no? Even if it's a latin expression.

Did I come off as rude? I'm sorry if I did, Tomi.

Don't worry I'm easily annoyed by a lot of actions from a lot of people.

I have had many questions trying to learn about European things (especially food) for the TPR trips. I find it easier and quicker to do an online search or use wikipedia or dictionary.com