TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

1990 Arrow Dynamics announces the 'Pipeline Coaster'

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's part One and Two of the documentary segment that this is taken from. Such a shame this coaster never took off, but the comments above about B&M Inverters stealing the thunder seems to make a lot of sense to me, especially with regards to John Wardley overseeing all the prototype coasters at Alton Towers in the 90s.

^ Thanks for the linkage. While I was reading through this awesome thread, I thought I should dig up those Arrowbatic renderings and share them.

Also, regarding the inversion on the Arrow suspended coaster model, I remember seeing that video footage of the trains WHIPPING through the loop and going bananas. As I recall, Toomer said that they could never figure out a way to guarantee that the trains would have enough centripetal force to stay fully "upright" going through the inversion. I believe they hoped to include a couple of these loops on Kings Island's The Bat, but when they couldn't develop some sort of failsafe "thruster" system, they dropped them.

Had the technology been feasible back then, I wonder if LIMs or LSMs might have solved the problem...

I posted about the arrowbatic over on Arrow's FB page...that would've been an interesting concept had any of the parks been willing to invest in one but unfortunately it came along at around the same time the economy took a dump so parks weren't looking to invest in expensive prototype rides at the time.

• 2 years later...