TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch's Coaster Poll

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even if you've only been on 5 wood coasters and you think "Oh, my opinion doesn't matter", the way Mitch does this poll is *DOES* matter! So everyone, please vote!

I just voted a couple days ago. I normally would have just skipped it like every year for two reasons:

-I've only ridden 5 woodies

-I can never figure it out

but I decided to do it this year for two more:

-This poll is a good one and my results can be used

-Ted's applet made it easy for me

So I just want to thank Robb, Ted, and of course Mitch for allowing my vote to count.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we addressed this earlier, but I'm sure it will be asked again so I'll post.

The two are very very close...so different, but both nearly equal to my favorite coaster ride on Earth.

I gave the slight edge to El Toro because I rode it this year, and did not ride Balder.

^ Yup, what she said.

One thing I always seem to do in my ballot is the longer it's been since I last rode a coaster, they more it usually drops on my list.

For example, I haven't been on Rampage in quite a few years, and I personally don't think it's fair to rank it the same way I would rank a similar coaster I rode in the past 6 months.

So I may give the edge to a coaster that I rode more recently.

It's just the way I prefer to rank things...

--Robb

Looks like once again the Voyage Fanboys aren't playing fair!!!

When I see ballots where El Toro is ranked next to last between Son of Beast and Triple Hurricane, I just shake my head. And there are a few of these!!! El Toro Grizzly, El Toro Psyclone...stupid people.

Looks like no 'award' will be 'real' anymore. We all already knew that the Golden Ticket awards were a sham, now poor Mitch's poll has been taken advantage of AGAIN.

The "interesting" thing is you see so many of these "low" El Toro rankings towards the bottom of the ballot listings.

As though the Voyage fanboys went "oh, I see El Toro is getting a lot of #1 votes" and then all of a sudden here comes ballots with Voyage as #1, and then a bunch of random coasters and El Toro as #107 in between Triple Hurricane and Williams Grove Cyclone.

Hmmm......

I'm sorry, but I just REFUSE to beleive, even if you didn't like El Toro, that someone would REALLY rank it lower than "Triple Hurricane" unless there was another "agenda" going on.

Yeah, Mitch really needs to not release the ballots next year until the voting has closed for good.

--Robb "Who would just like people to vote fairly..." Alvey

I noticed that a while back. It bothered me, but there was nothing I could do about it. Some of the people that ranked El Toro so low also had "abrupt airtime" as their favorite ride sensation. ET is the apitome abrupt airtime.

I now expect people to come and say "ET is not a wooden coaster. That is why it got ranked so low".

I ranked ET second to Voyage, but it was a very difficult decision. They both are incredible rides.

I hate that whole fanboy mentality that their coaster is the best and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

For me, El Toro is the coaster I enjoyed most that is classified as being wood and was so for me by a good margin. If I enjoyed getting my a$$ pounded by a coaster I would have voted differently. And I have ridden The Voyage, and 11 times in one day in August at that.

R & E, I thought maybe the structural work done on Balder by the TPR tour to Liesberg may have affected Balder adversely or maybe all that alcohol they gave you detracted from the ride experience.

As though the Voyage fanboys went "oh, I see El Toro is getting a lot of #1 votes" and then all of a sudden here comes ballots with Voyage as #1, and then a bunch of random coasters and El Toro as #107 in between Triple Hurricane and Williams Grove Cyclone.

It's OK. We can take comfort in the fact that El Toro is the obviously superior ride.

And in 10 years or so when Voyage is totally unridable, there won't even be any Voyage fan boys.

re: El Toro isn't a wood coaster

It is, and it's on the poll, and when I ride it next summer it will find its way into my rankings. I honestly don't hold out much hope for it making my top 5, though. I rode Heide Park's Colossus and I was REALLY disappointed. Yeah, it had great air, fast speeds, and wicked turns... but it just didn't feel like a wood coaster to me. It ranked fairly low on my list.

How much a person likes a coaster is just as dependent on how it met expectations as it is how the ride actually was...

For example, if I'm really expecting a ride to be a top-10 coaster and I'm not that crazy about it, then it would probably rank a bit low. If I'm expecting the ride to be a "get the credit and move on" ride and I actually have a lot of fun on it, then it would probably rank pretty high. EVEN THOUGH it's the same ride.

I'm sure that's one of the reasons that MegaZeph rocketed to the top of my wood list so quickly... and why the Voyage is currently at #1. I really didn't expect much from it, honestly. I'm not a huge fan of out/back rides, I had never been on a Gravity Group coaster, and the layout didn't look that good from the drawings I'd seen. I went, fully expecting Raven to outrank it.

Maybe if I had ridden it expecting it to be #1, the results would be different. I dunno. I do know, however, that the second day at the park, I went to ERT with Voyage at #1 and 35 rides later, it was still there.

^While I agree with you about El Toro, that's not even the point.

I don't care if you like Voyage better and rate it higher than El Toro. But if you rate ejector airtime high up on your list, or sensation of speed, then rank El Toro next to Grizzly at the bottom of your list we've got a BIG problem here!!!

The fact that people are trying to rig this poll makes me sad. Doesn't surprise me, given the mindset of your average rabid enthusiass that only cares about ERT and free food, but it is still sad.

I guess all the ballots and any results need to be hidden until after the poll closes to thwart these jackasses. A shame that some people cannot be honest...

dt

So my question is does Mitch ever throw out polls that are questionable? Or does he just work those ballots into the final results, then make a footnote about the possibility of several rigged votes and how they could of effected the outcome in the end?

I hope that makes sense, it's been a long evening.

^ I don't think he really can unless he hears that something has been rigged. For example, I'm pretty sure he threw out a number of steel ballots a year or two ago where a bunch of the German coaster enthusaists were trying to rig it so Expedition GeForce wouldn't be #1.

But it was VERY obvious who it was and word also got out about it being rigged.

I agree with Elissa said, it's not about what you like more, that's an opinion, but I think it's really unfair when someone OBVIOUSLY ranks something low just to prove a point.

For example, I just saw a ballot where someone ranked Voyage dead last behind kiddie woodies, Psyclone, Predator, Mean Streak, and other total crap. C'mon. It's SO OBVIOUS what you're doing. It's one thing to not like a ride as much as someone else and rank it lower, fine...but going out of your way to rank it low as possible just to be an ass is really immature, IMO.

--Robb "I'm not the Voyage's biggest fan, but I at least ranked it above 125 other woodies!" Alvey