TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blu Ray v HD DVD Picture Quality

verticalzero

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has it that even though blu-ray is showing better market sales, the reason why Paramount went with hd-dvd was because Microsoft payed them to. And the reason why Microsoft is doing this is not because they want to "save" HD-DVD but because they want to cause so much consumer confusion that high definition formats will not catch on and instead everyone will move online and download hi def films off of online stores, similar to the download rental system on xbox live.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you all know that it looks like the format war is just about over with Blu-Ray being the winner. Warner Bros as well as New Line just announced that they will no longer be supporting the HD-DVD format. Paramount has a clause in their HD-DVD only contract that if Warner decided to stop making HD-DVDs, they could break it and start making Blu-Rays again (and stop HD-DVD support all together). If this is the case, that would mean that Universal would be the only major studio left as the sole supporter of HD-DVD. I am sure they will start talking with the Blu-Ray camp shortly. Anyways, If you have been sitting on the fence on which format to get, it looks like the decision has been made a lot easier.

Blu Ray is good news for my home town. Terre Haute is one of a few towns with a Sony plant that makes the Blu Ray discs. Since the announcement, they are already gearing up for a expansion to make more. I am not sure of the costs of Blu Ray movies, but if more are out, that is good news since the price might go down some more.

• 2 weeks later...

I buy Blu Ray films from America and most of them play on my PAL PS3, e.g. Cars does not come to the UK till Feb so I bought the USA version.

HD DVD films are ok to play on my PAL 360 Add-on drive as it is multi-region. I bought the HD DVD "Blade Runner Briefcase" because the

Blu Ray version does not play on my PAL PS3.

I don't mind who wins the war as I have both formats.

Our DVD player is dying a slow and horrible death, and now that walmart has HD-DVD players for $149, its tempting, but I'm going to wait

My 360 is an upscaling DVD player, and I guess that will do for now, then eventually I will get a new standalone Blu-Ray player, when they get closer to $100

Our DVD player is dying a slow and horrible death, and now that walmart has HD-DVD players for $149, its tempting, but I'm going to wait

My 360 is an upscaling DVD player, and I guess that will do for now, then eventually I will get a new standalone Blu-Ray player, when they get closer to $100

Yeah, definitely don't buy HD-DVD. After decades and hundreds of millions of dollars of bribes to movie studios, Sony finally won a format war.

And definitely don't believe anything retailers tell you about HD-DVD at this point. They've got inventory to unload.

^ The delicious hilarity of Sony finally winning a format war when the entire industry is beginning shifting to internet distribution is wonderful.

I'm ready for that because I'm tired of getting scratched discs from Netflix. Nothing like sitting down to watch a DVD with a fresh bowl of popcorn only to discover that the disc doesn't work.

^ The delicious hilarity of Sony finally winning a format war when the entire industry is beginning shifting to internet distribution is wonderful.

LOL, yeah, I have downloaded a few things on my 360, its really pretty cool, I just need the bigger hard drive, LOL, oh well, I'll wait till it really gets into full swing

I've never like things like Netflix and Blockbuster Online. When I want to see a movie, I don't want to have to wait for it in the mail, when I could easily go into town and have it when I want it.

That's not I was referring to. Internet distribution means the movie would be downloaded or streamed to your television or computer. Like what Apple is doing with iTunes rentals, Netflix is getting into as well, etc. No more waiting for discs to arrive in th mail, no more having to go to the rental place, no more physical media. Once 1080p can be delivered with enough speed properly, it's going to take off and discs will be dead.

I've never like things like Netflix and Blockbuster Online. When I want to see a movie, I don't want to have to wait for it in the mail, when I could easily go into town and have it when I want it.

That's not I was referring to. Internet distribution means the movie would be downloaded or streamed to your television or computer. Like what Apple is doing with iTunes rentals, Netflix is getting into as well, etc. No more waiting for discs to arrive in th mail, no more having to go to the rental place, no more physical media. Once 1080p can be delivered with enough speed properly, it's going to take off and discs will be dead.

You can "rent" movies from xbox live that are 720p, I have not seen a 1080p one yet, I'm sure they are coming though

Just put mine Blu-Ray player on order today. I got the Sony BDPS500P player, and found out that the local store ( JB HI FI) was informed to "dump" all it's HD DVD players and movies as it will no longer be stocking the format.

They have already dropped the price of the HD-DVD from $700au to $300 overnight. It is to be seen how long it is before the HD-DVD format is pronounced dead in Australia. But it is to be expected with the sales figures of players sold in Oz between April and October of last year being HD-DVD (3800) and Blu-Ray (97400).

Just have to wait for Paramount to start releasing it's titles back onto Blu-Ray, now they seem to have asked for a release from the HD-DVD contract.....time will tell as allways.

I'll probably get an Hd-dvd player, it will work as an upscaling DVD player, and there is a good asortment of movies available, and they will be pretty cheap pretty soon.

I don't really care for using my 360 as an upscaling DVD player, I have never used a game machine as a main movie player, and my DVD player is dying

regular dvd's will be with us for a long long time

I think a long, long, time is an overstatement. I do agree that they will stick around for a while though.

Here is why I say that

The leap from audio cassette to CD was huge, in terms of sound quality, and how well it ages

The Leap from VHS to DVD was huge, for the same reasons, plus, I have yet to have my DVD players "eat" one of my dvd's

They have tried to replace the CD with better sounding items, like DVD audio, there was an enhanced CD for a while, but nothing has caught on, in fact, alot of people listen to thier music now on Ipods, which is worse quality than CD's

DVD's still look good, even on HDTV's, it helps if you have an upconverting DVD player, but the question remains, is it enough of a jump to MAKE the consumer buy into the technology at this point, and I say no, I still buy DVD's knowing that when and if Blu-Ray does take over, my DVD's will still play, and look fine

and like wes said, Digital distribution is the wave of the future, having your movies saved on a huge hard drive, in hi-def, kinda like how ipods have most of your music on them now....