TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

New sad news to report:

Coronavirus Crisis Causes Disney's "Frozen" to Close on Broadway

The coronavirus pandemic has a Broadway casualty. As a result of the industry-wide shutdown and resulting economic fallout, the decision has been made that Frozen will not return to Broadway when the crisis lifts. The hit Disney musical played its final performance at the St. James Theatre on March 11. At the time of its closing, Frozen played 26 previews and 825 regular performances on Broadway.

The world wide productions of FROZEN are on hold for now, and a few of them

will resume, once the pandemic is "over/under control," take your pick.

Here's the rest of the article ~

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/191270/coronavirus-crisis-causes-disneys-frozen-to-close-on-broadway/

116481-3.jpg.08d3c74e20b948ed623d6435300d10db.jpg

This is an awesome upBEAT video! For the N.Y.Actors Fund, somebody got everybody and anybody together, who was involved with every version of HAIRSPRAY you could find! Including the LIVE tv version. The original film is repped by Ricki Lake, the original Tracy Turnblad. And it gets better and better!

You Can't Stop the Beat.......No You Can't, Woo Hoo!

Here's the link to it: https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199318/these-hairspray-fam-favorites-performing-you-cant-stop-the-beat-will-make-your-day/

1575562064_YouCantStopBeat-2020May.png.5d71d32ec4e3b112bf2c70850c1d5017.png

(Screenshot ~ And how many Broadway/Hollywood Actors can you spot, in this one shot? I counted 7 I knew.)

This is an awesome upBEAT video! For the N.Y.Actors Fund, somebody got everybody and anybody together, who was involved with every version of HAIRSPRAY you could find! Including the LIVE tv version. The original film is repped by Ricki Lake, the original Tracy Turnblad. And it gets better and better!

You Can't Stop the Beat.......No You Can't, Woo Hoo!

Here's the link to it: https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199318/these-hairspray-fam-favorites-performing-you-cant-stop-the-beat-will-make-your-day/

So much fun! Thanks for the heads-up. (And speaking of fun, it's kind of interesting to check out people's homes. I'd recognize a NYC kitchen in a heartbeat. Bwahahahaha!) I hope they raise some funds; they deserve it. It's pretty scary right now. Even for the 'big-name' performers. Thank goodness for NY's current non-eviction policy...hope the Gov/Mayor extends it...

Alice

^ By the way. You DO know there's a broadcast of the SOLD OUT One Night Only Concert performance

of SMASH??? It's on at 8pm EST at http://www.people.com one of the sites it's being shown on.

Here's the link: https://people.com/tv/bombshell-in-concert-smash-reunion-livestream/

And the cast has been grouped together, for an online interview during 'intermission.' Fun!

smashbombshellconcert1.thumb.jpg.ee1695d43ae3827f9fc56882faeeace9.jpg

The original poster for the concert (2015).

^ By the way. You DO know there's a broadcast of the SOLD OUT One Night Only Concert performance

of SMASH??? It's on at 8pm EST at http://www.people.com one of the sites it's being shown on.

Here's the link: https://people.com/tv/bombshell-in-concert-smash-reunion-livestream/

And the cast has been grouped together, for an online interview during 'intermission.' Fun!

THANKS, Bill!

Alice

^^And after all of it - First, I could not believe that "Baseball Number"! I mean, Megan had been quoted about doing the "family" version of it, vs. an "x-rated" version of it? Hmmm. Looks like X Hit The Spot! It was awesome, but totally not for the kiddies, LOL!

Other stuff was: Ann Harada, and Donna McKechnie...great performances from both, especially Harada! The Big Finish.... FINISH from Hilty and McPhee. And very happy that D'arcy James was FINALLY allowed to sing! He sang the song that Debra Messing was so sweet singing on the show (No Regrets), but obviously freaked at having to sing LIVE. Good casting call guys.

Great broadcast and interviews, everybody. Now, make a DVD for sale, of it, plplplplease???

(May 21st)... AND! AND! AND!: They just announced, that there WILL be A Broadway production coming... soon! It also sounds like they are going to go with the musical-within-a-musical idea they did with SMASH and "Bombshell". And it's tentative title will be SMASH: A New Musical. No surprise there, heh. Here's the Broadway.com link to the announcement!

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199335/tv-fan-favorite-smash-heading-to-broadway-as-a-new-musical/

• 2 weeks later...

We just got an email from Broadway Across Canada, letting us know that the September tour of CHICAGO will not be coming our way. Or anywhere else, for that matter. And this is the start of our upcoming 2020/21 Season, too. We get a credit, but still. We're now down to three shows (Superstar; Anastasia; Hamilton) and "Come From Away" in March, as an add-on...

Life goes on.

Well.... Happy Non-TONYs Day everybody!

(Postponed because of the pandemic.)

'And the Award goes to.... 'TO BE CONTINUED...'

Applause to each & every cast member of this past year's shows. Your time will come, and your audience and your supporters will not forget!

Alice

PS Thanks Bill for the heads up.

^ It's funny that, by TONY time, I would have several cast cds to listen to,

and make a somewhat limited choice, for who I think should win what, etc.

But for this season? There are at this time, only three CDs available: (in order of opening)

Moulin Rouge: The Musical!

David Byrne's AMERICAN UTOPIA On Broadway (special event show)

Jagged Little Pill

The two musicals, I love for different reasons. But...pick a winner? Tough choice between the two. For design, lighting and sound, I think I would definitely give Moulin Rouge the 4 TONY wins (costumes, too).

And give Danny Burstein a TONY, please! Finally! He's earned this one,

musically, AND gotten thru an episode of Co-vid19!

P.S. Since off-Broadway's "A Strange Loop" just won the Pulitzer Prize for drama (putting it with a few notable musicals, like "How To Succeed..." "A Chorus Line" and of course "Hamilton"), look to it for next season on Broadway (hopefully) and then getting itself a nice little cache of TONYs, too.

MoulinRouge02.png.9e8a21428741baa2ef94a04d3f4bceab.png

Danny! Danny! Danny!

AStrangeLoop2020.png.3d8da1e96ed545c3e04392b008cb8fd2.png

~ The 2020 Pulitzer Prize for Drama ~

Phantom of the Opera's international tour here is running and they're extending dates and also doing another run in another part of Korea. The play got shut down for a while when some of the cast had corona (presumably imported cases and not caught here), it hasn't been making news and selling out like Lion King did so I guess they're extending their tour since we're one of the only countries with musicals still running and since moving on might be hard for them to go to any other scheduled countries right now.

Apparently, according to Korean news, due to Corona, the Korean version of Les Miserables that will move into the Seoul theater once Phantom of the Opera moves to Daegu saw over 1,400 people audition for the 50 supporting and background roles which is the highest number the casting company has ever seen.

^ Very impressive about that Phantom audition and those numbers!

Musicals help the world heal in marvelous ways, no matter where we live in the world.

FiddlerJapan.png.65eb4cf3b2c6ae8a6de597b21650604a.png

I still love hearing how Japan LOVED "Fiddler" - it was "so normal and local," they said!

I know this is nearly three months old, but the video still resonates with the current world events.

This was all the (then) current companies (5 of 'em) of Come From Away, including the

NA touring company we saw last year. And it's coming back to us next year, end of March.

Enjoy. https://www.broadway.com/buzz/198945/five-companies-of-come-from-away-sing-welcome-to-the-rock-in-a-moving-tribute-to-world-theatre-day/

487400376_ComeFromAway.png.f0430d568fe05aa29df37a859e026268.png

Video courtesy of Broadway.com ~ thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Cordero. 41. RIP

Broadway has been following and supporting his wife, in his struggle with Co-Vid 19.

Here's a link to his TONY-nominated performance in the musical treatment of

"Bullets Over Broadway."

1. It absolutely is a "rap musical." I call this out because, while this is a popular feature of the show, it is also my least favorite part of the show. When it comes right down to it, I'm just not a huge fan of rap music, and I'd say about 1/3 of the show is fairly hardcore rap (at least for me) and if that isn't something you are a fan of, I would suggest taking a listen to the cast recording before spending hundreds of dollars on tickets. While I do like most of the rest of the music that is not quite as hardcore rap, I find myself tuning out about 1/3 of the show because it is a music style that I just cannot connect with.

Since my chances of seeing it live are slim at best for a while I watched the Disney+ version. I really enjoyed it but I'm glad I read posts here like this. I've had so many friends tell me how it'll blow all my favorites away and it'll be my new number one. I didn't actually listen to the album since it was TV and not splashing out hundreds, and I also can't remember the last movie/musical I went in completely blind on what the songs will sound like.

I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I would. I really am not a big fan of rap or hip-hop so I think if I hadn't seen posts like this my expectations would have been set way too high and I might have been more disappointed. Knowing the rap was coming, I spent more time being amazed at the dancing, lighting and set-ups. Satisfaction in particular blew me away on its execution.

I'm just going to leave this here.... it's REALLY LONG... but a work of art... if you are a fan Hamilton, at least hop around the video and listen to different songs/parts because it's absolutely ridiculous....

If you are *not* a fan of hamilton, maybe it will make you a fan.... lol.

Darnit. Another touring show has dropped out of our "current schedule" that being 2020/21.

We were supposed to see Jesus Christ: Superstar at the end of October, but now it's not to be.

And the funny/wierd thing is, they didn't cancel altogether, but BUMPED it up to one year+ from now!

So now we're seeing it Oct.25-31st....2021. Usually it's where the Wed.performance falls, for us to see anything.

So now "the 2020/21 'Broadway Over Canada Season' is now extended to the Fall of 2021."

And now we only have two shows of the original season to see....we hope.

"Anastasia" in January and "Hamilton" by late June. And then "Superstar", end of October.

• 1 month later...

It looks like there's going to be a digital TONY Awards, coming this fall...

Broadway's biggest night is back on! After jointly announcing a postponement of the 74th Annual Tony Awards, originally scheduled for June 7 at Radio City Music Hall, the Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing have shared that the ceremony will now take place digitally this fall. Final eligibility determinations will be made by the Tony Awards Administration Committee in the coming days. Further details, a platform for the awards ceremony and an exact date will be announced later.

Hope it works out for all involved.

EDIT TO ADD: At this point in time, if they do indeed, run a nominees and TONY winners thing....in my humble opinion, it will be a four-way race for BEST MUSICAL for: Moulin Rouge!; Tina:The Tina Turner Musical; Jagged Little Pill; Girl From North Country. Stay tuned until then.

TonyAwards2020.png.a8b024966ed06faf324040a9ae9eb0d8.png

• 1 month later...

TONY Award nominations are coming out this Thursday (Oct.15)! And with everything bunching up to the end of the year, it's probable the awards' ceremony isn't happening until December. And it'll be a Digital Broadcast, too.

That said, the Cutoff Date for this season of shows was in February. And that means there are only four musicals that are up for nomination: Moulin Rouge; Tina; Jagged Little Pill; and The Lightning Thief, which got lousy reviews and closed just after 2020 started.

And now, they've extended the Closed Time Period to the end of May next year! <sighs> I feel sad for everyone connected to theatre, over there.

From the "And to No One's Surprise" Dept.... The Lightning Thief got shut out, and all the TONY nominations were split between The Above ^3^ Musicals ^. 👏 Not "Girl From North Country", though. the cutoff date for noms was before this opened, officially.

The actual most interesting category is Best Leading Actor in a Musical. Of which only one actor has been nominated: Aaron Tveit from Moulin Rouge. So now it will be to all the TONY voters to give Aaron a 60%+ affirmation vote, and give him the award. This will make for an interesting broadcast, however they're planning to do it. Rumors are leading to a December airing.

And today, unsurprisingly, our next musical we were supposed to see this January ~~~~~ has been postponed until January..... of 2022!

⛈️ Oh well. After reading about the Broadway Shutdown extended to the end of May next year, I thought Anastasia would go, too. And now, the ONLY SHOW possibly able to come to us will be HAMILTON, late June, next summer.

So our Brand-New-ly put together Schedule goes like: Hamilton,June/21; Jesus Christ Superstar,Oct/21; Anastasia,Jan/22.

"Come From Away" is still scheduled for March next year, and is still an Add-On to the Subscription. I`ll wait and see on that one.

Anastasia.jpg.38493a068f6eeab115238f78b8a8cf21.jpg

^ See ya in...2022!  🎭

• 1 month later...

This just in!

There was a complete recording of Sondheim's much revered, but doomed (it bombed on Broadway) musical, "Anyone Can Whistle" in London.

The recording was done in the late 1990's. But wasn't released until......now. Go figure. Show biz.

Juicy TRIVIA of it all is... John Barrowman? He's Capt. Jack Harkness in the Doctor Who series! And the father of "I can't remember who" in the recently ended ARROW tv series. And I never knew he could sing, until recently, truth!

Available eventually on Amazon, or directly from https://www.jayrecords.com/

133558381_AnyoneCanWhistle.png.3fde03688e1676fb83976737d9fba8c1.png

And Sondheim himself, loved this recording of the show, it is reported!

Here is today's RANT.....

When the f*** are they calling this virtual online 2020 TONYs Awards Ceremony?....

They already announced the nominees weeks ago. But now......nada? No telecast announcement?

I hope they announce The Date soon. Really soon. I DO want to watch it, as well as the rest of the theatre world.