TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Think I'm going to go with PCW_nut on this one. Just don't see those supports being for a cell tower. Time will tell.

I think the cell tower situation is right. Maybe they went with the colourful design to blend in with the park a little so it doesn't look too awful. I'm guessing that since they had police next to the structure rather than park security It makes sence it's not for a ride or attraction.

From the permit: "...for the installation of a 60 m high “shrouded” tripole telecommunication tower..."

"Shrouded" means to cover something to conceal it from view. The tower is painted Behemoth's colours so as to "hide it" because its going up just in front of the helix.

The diagram also shows 4 sections of supports....which is exactly what we saw in the original pictures posted (pieces were numbered 1 to 4).

This is 100% not for an attraction.

Supports in the parking lot for what I'm guessing is the triple drop waterside everyone is talking about and that the radio as mentions.

The structure is for a cell tower.

Here's the permit I found a while back which was filed in 2012 for the tower.

http://www.vaughan.ca/council/minutes_agendas/AgendaItems/CWA0904_23.pdf

The description and diagrams perfectly match what we have seen.

Also the ad on the radios makes NO MENTION of a "NEW" waterslide...just a triple drop (probably referring to the Plunge).

Just to clarify, I never said "new".

I'll say this, that's one funky looking cell tower lol

I was referring to Haunt Maniacs post:

For sure it said a NEW triple drop waterslide at Splashworks.

Ciao!

I saw a few posts back that thunderrun is still there.

How can that be? The images showing the inside of the mountain clearly show its been gutted out.

Can someone clarify that part?

Sorry for the double post.

Inside the mountain are several levels. Thunder Run is on the upper level. WMG takes maybe 1 or 2 levels below and the Haunt Mazes last year were in the lowest underground level.

Here is a shot taken during construction. You can make out the multiple levels for a reference.

Taken from http://corbinseligman.com/vintage-1979/

Ciao!

I saw a few posts back that thunderrun is still there.

How can that be? The images showing the inside of the mountain clearly show its been gutted out.

Can someone clarify that part?

You should also note that Thunder Run uses a very, very small portion of the mountain. WMG is located in other areas.

From the permit: "...for the installation of a 60 m high “shrouded” tripole telecommunication tower..."

"Shrouded" means to cover something to conceal it from view. The tower is painted Behemoth's colours so as to "hide it" because its going up just in front of the helix.

The diagram also shows 4 sections of supports....which is exactly what we saw in the original pictures posted (pieces were numbered 1 to 4).

This is 100% not for an attraction.

The picture on the last page of the permit shows a tower with the top part "coverd". Maybe shrouded means something in the line of Wonderland adds or Wonderland logos on the top part of the tower.

According to reports from opening day, the park has poured concrete (or something similar) around the WMG footers making it look like the supports are coming out of the mountain. (no pics yet)

Have these pics been seen?

Here is Link.... http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.ca/search/label/Canada%27s%20Wonderland

I'm sure a lot of us have seen them by now. If you want to see more they are here:

I'm new here and have loved coasters since I was a preschooler! I'm headed to CW on Friday- wondering if the fast pass is worth it. It will just be me- by myself. My husband has an event he's going to in Toronto and I thought it would be fun to go to the park alone. If I don't get FP- how long do you think the waits might be?

I had the luxury of being REALLY tall as a child and I have pictures of me on Wild Beast at FOUR years old. My mom was terrified I'd fall out- but I had a BLAST!

Probably won't be necessary. Fridays in may are usually dead, as the weather (especially this year) is still quite mild and all k-12 schools are still in session. I would judge it when you get there, operations are usually quite good at CW so you shouldn't have any problems. If you get fast lane or not, be sure to ride the Fly and Thunder Run first, as they get long lines fast and don't have Fastlane.

Another question---I've been reading about how lots of roller coasters don't fit overweight guests. I'm a size 16/18 now and 5'8. My weight is 'hourglass shaped'- not all in my stomach. I've never had any issue riding rides before but I'm at my highest weight I've ever been. Anyone have any info on CW rollercoasters?

At passholder preview night on Friday, I was able to get a peek into the mountain entrance for WMG from the Vortex lift hill. Luckily, they had the lights on, so I could see a little bit of what's inside.

After coming back into the mountain, the train hits a small brake run, then takes a tight left. More importantly, there seems to be a ton of work left to do in the mountain. The screens are up, but still wrapped in plastic. I also saw a lot of framing, but nothing else.

Looking into what appears to be the station platform, it's more of the same. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if WMG doesn't open until June.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if WMG doesn't open until June.

Official CW website says "COMING SPRING 2014". As long as it opens before June 21st they aren't lying.

Was hoping it would open earlier in the season though to avoid long lines.

so now that they have this one pretty much finished, what coaster are they going to get next, and when?

Ummm, no....it's not pretty finished. They still have lots of work to do....a full test run hasn't even happened yet.

So did The Matcom Group Fabricate the Track and Columns?

Matcom is the company responsible to erect the track/columns. Kubes Steel fabricated the track/columns and another company (their name escapes my mind right now) designed it.

At passholder preview night on Friday, I was able to get a peek into the mountain entrance for WMG from the Vortex lift hill. Luckily, they had the lights on, so I could see a little bit of what's inside.

After coming back into the mountain, the train hits a small brake run, then takes a tight left. More importantly, there seems to be a ton of work left to do in the mountain. The screens are up, but still wrapped in plastic. I also saw a lot of framing, but nothing else.

Looking into what appears to be the station platform, it's more of the same. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if WMG doesn't open until June.

Thanks for the update. The plastic could just be to keep dust off the screens given that it's still a construction site.

Does anyone remember the dive event that would be done off the mountain?

I almost forgot about it till I saw those foot slots on the side of mountain.

I don't remember the divers using them. But looking at them now scares the crap out of me. So unsafe looking.

Does anyone remember the dive event that would be done off the mountain?

I almost forgot about it till I saw those foot slots on the side of mountain.

I don't remember the divers using them. But looking at them now scares the crap out of me. So unsafe looking.

They still do the dive show and the divers haven't used the foot slots in ages. Instead, they just climb up the rocks on the side.

With Guardian still not open yet and not much other than cosmetic elements left for the viewing public to see, I figured I'd start a discussion on the rides finale.

In an interview with the Toronto Star, Dave Phillips (VP of Marketing and Sales) stated the following about the finale:

The big finale is when you get to the end, you go to the dragon’s lair, and then there’s this feature which we’re not releasing, which is the finale of the ride.

What does everyone think it would be or even what (realistically) would you like it to be?

Of all the things that keep going through my mind I keep thinking drop track. The ride climbs to 60ft off the ground outside, loses about 5-10ft from the initial drop/dip and then goes inside to what we don't know about. Based off where the station is etc. that leaves about 30-35 ft (approx) of a decent it needs to make inside the mountain to level back to the station. A couple dips inside plus a section where the track drops could achieve this.

Let me stress that this is just my thought (and maybe a dash of wishful thinking) and I have as much knowledge about what's inside as anyone else.

*Quote taken from www.thestar.com/entertainment/2013/09/04/canadas_wonderland_marketing_guru_talks_up_4d_ride_wonder_mountains_guardian.html