TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do you like wooden roller coasters or steel coasters better?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like wooden roller coasters or steel coasters better?

• Steel
    • Wood

Bumping!!

Personally, I prefer steel coasters, although that may or may not be down to the fact that I've only ridden about 20 wooden coasters, very few of which I felt were *really* enjoyable (Balder and Thundercoaster being the notable exceptions).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it all depends on the type of ride and manufacturer.

In no particular order: My favorites

Intamin Steel Mega/Giga- Ex. S:ROS (SFNE&SFA), Millennium Force

Intamin Woodie-Ex. El Toro

Intamin Rocket- Ex. Storm Runner

GCII Woodie- Ex. Thunderhead

B&M Hyper- Ex. Apollo's Chariot, Goliath (SFOG)

B&M Invert- Ex. DD-Fire&Ice, Montu

All in all, I would have to say steel because of the Intamin mega/giga.

I voted for steel because I like to be flipped up-side down and I like the smoothness and speed.

Here's my favorite list-

Goliath (SFoG)

Superman-UF (SFoG)

The Hulk

Dueling Dragons

TTD

Millenium Force

Mantis

Mad Mouse (MiA)

Batman-The Ride (SFoG)

Mindbender

I'll go with steel.

I like steel coasters a lot better because they are smoother, offer more options, have unique capabilities, and offer inversions.

Also, my top five is all steel (if you can call Expedition Everest steel, which I do)

1. Raptor

2. Expedition Everest

3. Magnum XL-200

4. Wicked Twister

5. Rock'n'Roller Coaster

-PLCP

I'll go with steel.

I like steel coasters a lot better because they are smoother, offer more options, have unique capabilities, and offer inversions.

Also, my top five is all steel (if you can call Expedition Everest steel, which I do)

1. Raptor

2. Expedition Everest

3. Magnum XL-200

4. Wicked Twister

5. Rock'n'Roller Coaster

-PLCP

What else could you possibly call Expedition Everest?

Also, why is everybody obsessed with inversions? I just don't see why everybody loves them so much.

I like wood more. To me inversions and such are gimmicks, and wooden coasters don't need them due to the sheer out of control feeling. I really like being thrown around a lot, and steels don't do that. So yeah, for me it's wood.

I will fly across the world for a good woodie. TThere has only been ione coaster made of steel that has taken my breathe away and it was Nitro. I like more highbanked turns and a lot of airtime that i just dont feel I get with steel. I am not a big fan of inversions, barrel rolls and loops. I dont ever have to ride a coaster with a loop.

I choose steel, and not just because of from a marketing perspective... "Steel Sells." Even though I understand and feel the beauty of a traditional wood coaster, and especiually the newer ones (GCI, CCI, GG, etc), more can simply be done with steel.

Holiday World could be my favorite park if it had a decent steel coaster or two. But right now, it's Cedar Point - full of excellent and great steel coasters - and one very good woodie thrown in the mix.

Steel for sure. I like you Robb used to love the woodies (more because I was to scared to go on the steel ones haha) . But as of right now steel rules all, more height more speed and inversions to round it all off. Yes steel pretty much rules in my book although I love a good woodie now and again..

Oh i forgot X is the only steel coaster that I have been on where the ride ops had to help me out of my seat. I was totally out of breath. This coaster is phenominal. El Toro did the same for me. My next coaster I am looking forward to is The Voyage. I just love woodies more. X gave me the biggest high I have had in yrs. Inversions and loops are too repetative for me. They are so quick and disorienting that I really dont know what I just experienced. A good woodie gives me more of a strong rush that a smooth steel coaster that glides through the air.

So when I look at my overall "favorite" coasters, while there is still a woodie near the top, I would rather ride my favorite steel coasters over wooden coasters anyday:

Expedition GeForce

Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

Superman: Ride of Steel (SFA)

Phoenix

Dueling Dragons

Kumba

Viper (SFGam)

Raven

Goliath (Walibi World)

Montu

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

Mr. Freeze

Storm Runner

XLR8R

Millennium Force

Grand National

Timber Terror

So yeah, while the woodies IMO ruled the 80s and 90s, the lack of really good woodies today due to poor maintenance, has made my vote swing to steel coasters over wood.

--Robb "Who hopes that some of those ex-top ten wood coasters can return to their former glory someday..." Alvey

Robb, you haven't ridden El Toro yet... When you do, I'm sure there will be another glorious Woodie in the arsenal!

BTW, when ARE you coming East and riding with us? You can stay with me if you like.

G "I better stock up on Nerds rope" Money

To add on to my explanation, theres nothing like tearing ass through the woods at night on a wooden coaster. You can hear every track joint, the airtime, all of that. For example, a nightride on beast with the trims off in 02, that was INSANE. We must have gone 3/4th up the second lift. Anyways, all wooden coasters can have that "holy sh*t" feeling to them if they are maintained properly.

To add on to my explanation, theres nothing like tearing a$$ through the woods at night on a wooden coaster. You can hear every track joint, the airtime, all of that. For example, a nightride on beast with the trims off in 02, that was INSANE. We must have gone 3/4th up the second lift. Anyways, all wooden coasters can have that "holy sh*t" feeling to them if they are maintained properly.

Define...Maintained Properly. You cant control the weather, the warping and bowing of the wood. Wood coasters ALWAYS give you a different ride. That's what I personally love about them, and I'm putting my vote under wood. By far!

-Ryan