TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

4 Year Old Drowns At Great America (California)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a requirement in all articles relating to an amusement park accident, that they reference all previous accidents that have happened at the same park, no matter how unrelated.

This is so true, it's like in every article, they have to go back really far to pick out all the deaths, no matter how long ago.

Today's paper had an article about the GA drowning. According to the article (Not sure how accurate it is) the parents were at the poolside and another 7-10 year old (forgot age) was with the kid. (To me, a young kid's not responsible enough to watch another kid, which the parent should have been at the kids side...that's just my feeling.) It then went onto talking about how the signage says "Parent supervision/Lifejackets Recommended" not "Required" and was printed in only English, which could possibly come to a change...whether if people are going to read it or not is another story. I'm definitely expecting a lawsuit from this event. Lastly, it talked about how now that this happened, other waterparks will have lifeguards at the shallow end as well for the tykes.

That is sad how you can cause something that is totally your fault and then turn around and sue somebody else for it, pathetic. I guess they were due for an accident 6 in 31 years, that is about 1 every 5 years on average. I must point out that over the last 31 years millions visited the park without incident, millions! That almost makes this 6 look like nothing. Eventhough that is 6 too many, when it comes down to it the park is really safe. Whatever the cause and outcome of this they will take steps to prevent this from happening again. I would just like to know when did it become okay to have a child supervising a younger child in a pool, and a wave pool at that. Something is terribly wrong with that and what makes me angry is there are parents that see no problem with this. Then look what happens, an innocent child has to pay with his life for his parents lack of caring. Thats right, his parents lack of caring. How truly sad.

I was at the on Friday (the 13th) and when I was on Drop Zone I noticed the whole wavepool was empty. This was around 6 pm and I'm not sure what time they close up the waterpark, but I have a feeling the wave pool might have been closed.

Seated in a group of chairs at one side of the pool, Flores said she could see her son when he went back into the pool after a break. He was back in the water only for about 10 minutes, she said, when he moved out of her sight. Jasmine found Carlos, who was not wearing one of the free life jackets provided nearby, not breathing. She said the lifeguards on duty - she said there were four, park officials said there were six - should have done more.

"They could have saved his life if they did their jobs," she said. "They didn't do their jobs."

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_6380556?source=rss

I'm sure she's in shock right now and trying to avoid blame, can't even imagine what it must be like to loose a young child. But she really has no right to be saying anyone at GA wasn't doing their job. As a mother, it's HER job and no one elses to ensure that her 4yr old child was safe at all times, regardless of where she was at. At the very least, she should have insisted a 4yr old wear one of the free life jackets provided. Yet another example of people leaving their brains at the gate when they go to parks, thinking that it's the parks responsibility to protect them and their children from their own negligence.

The reader comments below the article seem to agree. Very sad tragic accident, but most understand and agree that GA could have only done so much in this situation. Has she been a responsible parent and by her 4yr olds side at all times like she should have been, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

^could not agree more! Dont even try to blame the park for something you caused, something that is your fault, only yours, and yours alone. Yes this is sad but you know what lady its your own damn fault! Themeparks are not daycare centers and are not responsible for you doing your job as a parent and watching your child. So the only falure here is you being a good parent. The park did all they could and you should be thankful for that but you are the one who has to go thru the rest of her life knowing it was your own fault and only you could have prevented this. Makes me really angry your neglegence caused a kid to die. The park should be suing you for gross neglegence that led to death. So angry about this, stupid parent.

It is just a shame that this accident couldn't have been prevented. I'm not saying this is the park's fault, but there seem to be so many factors that led up to the drowning.

1.) The parents let the 4 year old go off by himself. It would be one thing if the parents were at the base of the pool looking in with the kid in the shallow area, but to be off in another area is unbelievable. I can't imagine letting a 4 year old child of mine go to a wave pool by themselves.

2.) The lifeguards were unable to see the kid before it was too late. Again, I'm not saying it is their fault, but it does seem like from being at GL they could be a bit more watchful in the shallow end to prevent possible inattentiveness from taking a life. It also would have prevented a lot of grief, for the lifeguards too, if someone had of seen the kid earlier.

3.) Other people in the pool. I get that most parents are busy watching their kids, but again it is just a shame someone wasn't able to notice something wrong with the kid earlier, either someone in the pool, or someone watching it from chairs.

It is just a shame that so many factors led to this. It does sort of raise concern for me on multiple levels. Obviously it is hard to control how other people watch their kids, but I do hope that Great America will perhaps readjust their life-guarding systems to try to prevent something like this from happening again.

I can see both sides to this. On the one hand, life-guards should never be expected to take on the role of "parent" and watch your kids for you, but then again you hope that if something does happen life-guards would be able to notice and respond quickly. I'm not saying that this was the life-guards fault, as I'm sure this whole thing happened very quickly and they responded as quickly as they could, but it is food for thought. Obviously the parents are to blame here, and whether or not they truly did lose sight of him accidentally, they still shouldn't be blaming the park unless they were negligent, which it doesn't sound like they were.

How tradgic is it that the boy probably died while his mother got a tan?

I think people need to have more respect for not only wave pools but all amusement rides. I have been knocked over more than once by a wave that I was not expecting. If the child was dragged out too far by the waves... its very likely he could not keep his head above water. I hope the family does not get any money out of the boys death.

Went to Great America today and noticed that some young kids actually were running ahead of their parents to get a spot in line. Shoot...I even saw some whose parents did the work of waiting inline and the kids come in at the last minute...(Probably 10-year-olds...Great job parents in teaching your kids to do this!).

Ok, now that I've seen more of the story, I would go so far as to say that "mother" should be prosecuted. Hell no, do you send your 4 year old into a freaking wave pool without a free life jacket while you sit off to the side! The lifeguards can't possibly see every single person at every moment.

I hope that in her heart, she really does know that she's to blame and has to live with that for the rest of her miserable life.

How convenient that you can go somewhere, CAUSE your child to die, blame that place, and sue for millions and probably get it. How totally pathetic! And I hope this irresposible lady has the misfortune to read these threads and see what people think of her irresponsible actions. Hey lady, it was YOUR child YOUR responsibility and NO ONE elses!!! Hey stupid, a 4 year old does not belong in a pool without you being by their side and them wearing a life jacket, it's called being a parent! This lady needs to be criminally prosecuted for murder!!!

^^ You my good man, are a good father lol.

I don't find this surprising in the least, but I find it odd that its a height restriction and not an age restriction type dealio. Hopefully this will limit the amount of deaths that occur in wave pools... Not that there were many to begin with.

^ Just out of curiosity, what is the point of your sig?

Sorry for the late response. The point of my signature is nothing, really except to make people ask questions like that. It really has no purpose, it's just there to cause you to wonder about it.