TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Has a waterslide ever scared you?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I used to know someone who swears they got stuck in an enclosed waterslide. The only enclosed slides she would do are the ones you ride on with tubes.

Honestly the only thing that scares me about waterslides are those walks to the top. I've been on some where I could feel the whole thing structure shaking at certain times. Not a fun experience...

^I couldn't agree more. Everything at Aquatica is on struts and stilts, and I tend to get freaked out when walking up. It feels worse when the steps are slippery and you're freezing in line while the wind is blowing.

I'm not a big fan of speed slides, especially after I got a gnarly wedgie on one when Aquatica used to be Soak City, U.S.A. I walked a bit funny for an hour or two after I got off.

When I was 12 I've been to Miramar in Germany and I wanted to go on their new doubble loop slide but at the end I didn't went on it because I was scared of it. But I wasn't scared about the trap door at the beginning, I was scared to get stuck in front of a loop in this tiny tube!! Because there you must have a minimum weight to ride and I was 10lbs over it but I still was scared! Also because there happend a deadly accident on this slide a few days before we went there!!! That was because of tecnical problems!!!!

But 2 years later I went to Aquaparc Le Bouveret in Switzerland and they have a looping slide and I went on it, but I also was a bit scared before riding it! After I rode it I felt happy because I made it to the end of the Slide and I went 3 times on it!

There's a crappy (really crappy) water park in the town we usually spend a few days of the summer in and last time I went there I was riding a water slide which finishes with a rather tight left turn but the wall on the right doesn't go any higher. Basically I could feel that half of my back actually came off the slide. It was enough to make my heart stop for a moment. The thing is you tend to think (with amusement parks in general): Oh, it's fine... it's safe.. But the problem is, with crappy ones like this I'm no so sure.

In another one of those a combination of a tight turn with a little drop makes you jump and land on your back/left shoulder quite brutally.

Rode my first trapdoor slide at Aquatica a little over a month ago. Definately a very tense moment before you drop. Didn't really enjoy the ride very much, just water everywhere with no idea where I was going. Overall I'm not too enthusiastic about these intense waterslides. Now the eight-lane racing slide they have however was absolutely brilliant!

The tall speed slides with a steep drop where you can see everything below you scare me the most. I get the sensation that I could fall off the slide. Fully enclosed slides don't scare me because I know won't fall off the water slide. Although I have had rafts capsize on me on two person slides that are enclosed, and that's never happened to me on multi person slides that weren't enclosed.

I got to try some trapdoor slides for the first time this year, and the first couple rides on those really scared me. Not only is the concept unnerving, but on the slides I tried there was a heartbeat sound that got louder and louder the longer you waited, adding to the anticipation. Finally, the door didn't open right when the countdown ended, creating a real "oh s***!" moment. After a couple rides, you get used to it and it's not so scary, but the first time is just insane.

As far as the rides themselves go, the straight plummets are among the best speed slides out there, but for whatever reason all the serpentine trapdoor slides seem inferior to regular serpentine speed slides (at least in my experience).