TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Racer becomes an ACE Landmark

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^Yeah, the park opened with a coaster, lots of parks before that opened with one, lots of parks after it opened with one, and I doubt they all had coasters when they opened because they realized that Kings Island did and it was fantastic. Look at the olden days of Coney Island NY, all the parks there opened with coasters. Why didn't ones that opened post-WWII and Pre-Kings Island not open with coasters? Maybe it was the lack of wood or cost, not much desire for woodies anymore at the time, or the fact that they wanted to establish themselves before investing so much cash. Look at Disneyland and SFOT, both of those didn't open with coasters, and when they did add coasters, they were revolutionary, made out of tubular steel track. As others have said, Kings Island was pretty much just re-establishing Coney Island down the road because it kept flooding all the time. Of course the people are going to want a coaster, they had one at the old park, and instead of relocating the Wildcat, just build something else from scratch.

And I hardly believe the entire world was noticing the park and calling their travel agents to get to Cincinnati.

Point is, ACE shouldn't be wasting it's member's money giving every park some plaque for their coasters, it's already getting pretty pointless and meaningless, and will continue as ACE gives more and more plaques for the little things.

This makes no sense.

The following coasters were awarded ACE Coaster Classic plaques, but subsequent equipment, design, or operating procedures changes have made the coaster ineligible for ACE Coaster Classic status:

Beastie. Paramount's Kings Island, Kings Mills, OH USA

They will take their "award" away from a coaster due to a design change, in this case seat belts, but turning a train so that is operates backwards 10 years after it opens is ok to get an award?

*Rubber stamp- ACE was here*

A list of things to make the Racer more noteworthy:

- Paint the handrails blue, and track red.

- Ditch the headrests. Many well-run parks don't need these monstrsities to have safe coasters.

- Have more enthusiastsic ride operators. Cedar Point has a great racing coaster with great people.

- Ditch the Paramount Parks shirts NOW! I know that they will be replaced by next season, but IMO they look bored in these shirts!

- RACE the damn ride every time. Get a "greeter" at the entrance so that everyone in line is tall enough to ride.

And how does the "Beastie at Paramount's Kings Island" not have Coaster Classic status anymore. It's no different than Scooby-Doo at Kings Dominion....

Point is, ACE shouldn't be wasting it's member's money giving every park some plaque for their coasters, it's already getting pretty pointless and meaningless, and will continue as ACE gives more and more plaques for the little things.

Ahh but Derek, you forget!!!

Doesn't one of the Executive Committee Members run a sign and trophy company!?!?!?

Oh yes, he does...hmmm, interesting!

Ahh but Derek, you forget!!!

Doesn't one of the Executive Committee Members run a sign and trophy company!?!?!? (Emphasis added.)

Oh yes, he does...hmmm, interesting!

This is one of the funniest little tidbits I've ever read--and it sure explains a lot.

^I'm sure that person would say they make the plaque for cost only and may even include a discount or something, in which case he'll be awarded "ACE Lifetime membership" in a few years for volunteering to make the plaques that plague the parks (try saying that 3 times fast!). Meanwhile, the cost of membership will go up another $30 a person to make up for that, the increased cost of mail, the cost of color print paper, and to rent out more space to hold all the plaques given to parks that have since had those rides bulldozed.

Look, I'm not here to "defend" ACE, I'm just giving their "view" as to why Racer is worthy of landmark status. Do I agree with it? I really don't care. But it seems they felt the ride was worthy of landmark status.

I just don't see what the big deal here is. So a group of coaster enthusiasts give out a meaningless award to mediocre coaster at a park full of mediocre coasters. Who cares? Why does everyone here acting as if its the end of the world because the Racer got an award? You are all acting as if ACEers kill babies and have acid instead of blood. Why is this such a big deal? I doubt any of Kings Island's guest will care that the Racer is an ACE landmark. It seems the only people that care about this award is the members of themeparkreview.com. So I ask again, who cares it the Racer is an ACE landmark? Its a meaningless award, and really doesn't deserve a thread 7 pages long.

^To which you have added another page--congrats!

I think people are just enjoying the debate; plus, it has grown beyond whether Racer "deserves" a plaque to whether such awards are worthwhile.

Hey, with the many TPR trips going on, why don't we make our own "TPR Coaster Classic" plaques? We can put one on the Holidog at HW or Boomerang at Knott's! It'll be red dawn awesome!

Hey, with the many TPR trips going on, why don't we make our own "TPR Coaster Classic" plaques? We can put one on the Holidog at HW or Boomerang at Knott's! It'll be red dawn awesome!

Agreed. I nominate Jr. Gemini as a TPR Coaster Classic, for being the most "sad and pathetic" credit

You are all acting as if ACEers kill babies and have acid instead of blood.

You speak the truth!

So I ask again, who cares it the Racer is an ACE landmark? Its a meaningless award, and really doesn't deserve a thread 7 pages long.

You're right! And probably wouldn't have been this long has to not made such a big deal out of it.

--Robb "Please get a sense of humor and try not to take things so seriously." Alvey