TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

JZ's Ongoing Kings Island Update Thread!

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys!

I got to go to the park today for a total of four hours.

I got on three rides.

-Drop Tower

-Red Racer

-The Crypt

2 hours and 15 minutes were spent on the Crypt. I'll be brief for now. It broke down a lot. But this is seriously like a whole new ride. Better theming in the tunnel, new "pre show" and the ride....WOW. Wayyyy more intense than the older program! And now there's cool techno playing throughout the ride. Yup odd. I'll post pictures later.

Oh, and there's only 2 rows now, instead of three.

Ah, the 2008 season. Many improvements.

Best name? NO! Best ride? One of the best! Ah, so good to get back on it.

Maybe next week. I got distracted by construction.

Wow....a BIG surprise! Experince The Crypt in 2008!!!

Construction video below!

100_0663.mov

A video of the Construction!

Red Racer review:

Well, the Racer looks nice with red and blue trains on each side, and I did see some racing going on. Unfortunately the ride on Red Racer was very mediocre. RIP, Backwards Racer! Now, there's a lot of re-tracking, so it's a very smooth, enjoyable ride. I rode last car front bench. But there was hardly any airtime! I was really upset, you usually got a nice dose on the Backwards Racer. -sigh-

Operations seemed very good today, SoB was always screaming at the top of the chainlift; Face....er, Invertigo was operational, and Backlot was working with what seemed to be everything! Even police sirens!

IMG_1599_copy.jpg.6eb70419760e2b96c928f8f0f64ef34e.jpg

Or mutant flying squirrel?

IMG_1595_copy.jpg.0cade94a9e04724dc37fcd5869506e90.jpg

Death Bat!

IMG_1593_copy.jpg.51fcb04eb77b9b5ea007dda57e8edad2.jpg

No more monkeys!

^^I was at the park today too and Red Racer was my first ride. Only one thing to say...BORING! I agree there was hardly any airtime! I mean how lame is that! Isn't the whole point for the ride to have airtime? Oh well...I didn't get a chance to ride the Crypt because the line was way too long. Oh and the Beast still rocks!

I've always loved TR:TR. But now that the whole "ride show" is gone. It's really like a large garage! There are even tire tracks on the floor! But the thing I hate the most is that they still have bright white flood lights to light it up. I mean, why not have it pitch black? Or have some cool dark neon colors?

I mean, you go though this tropical area, then enter a creepy cave, pass dead bodies that dead ends you to the creepy demon rat. And then you go into what?

A giant shed with techno.

Um, wtf? I really wished there was an 'alternate ending'.

Haha I remember calling James when outside the Crypt. I was like "dude, I hear techno coming from the building.....I'm scared!"

-JZ

I've always loved TR:TR. But now that the whole "ride show" is gone. It's really like a large garage! There are even tire tracks on the floor! But the thing I hate the most is that they still have bright white flood lights to light it up. I mean, why not have it pitch black? Or have some cool dark neon colors?

I mean, you go though this tropical area, then enter a creepy cave, pass dead bodies that dead ends you to the creepy demon rat. And then you go into what?

A giant shed with techno.

Um, wtf? I really wished there was an 'alternate ending'.

Haha I remember calling James when outside the Crypt. I was like "dude, I hear techno coming from the building.....I'm scared!"

-JZ

I was at the park today and thought the same thing about the Crypt. Good thing I only waited 12 min. Also you forgot to tell them it has only has 2 rows like every other Top Spin. Last year it had 3 rows.

Okay, here's a little depiction I did from beaver's shot. It seems kinda obvious it's going to be a coaster; atleast in my opinion. Here's what I see.

The entrance/exit will be either or both of the green areas.

The red boxes could be the station. A entrance/exit platform, or just one station and a brake run on either side.

The purple is just the coaster. I can see it going up on either side of The Crypt based on where the footers are. Now, as far as the coaster goes? Say it ain't so, but I can see an Intamini Mini Rocket fitting perfectly in that space. I love TTD and I wouldn't mind a good accel coming in; but a B&M Mega/Hyper would be awesome.

Just my thoughts...what do you guys see?

KingsIsland026.jpg.951714e1b38d9cf11829e337e8acc73d.jpg

Wow, this one may restore our faith in Cedar Fair, at least occasionally, to do the right thing. Instead of just slapping on a new sign, they saw it as an opportunity to improve upon the ride. Amazing!

So let me see if I am right on this, and if I am wrong feel free to call me on it since I have not been to KI since last Spring. The crypt still has this creepy scary feel up until the actual ride, which seems like a good idea. Then you get into the main part and it is just an open room playing techno musice, so the theming up til then has no payoff. Then they reduce the capacity which is why they can run it more intense, or like most parks run this ride to begin with and somehow this will restore our faith in Cedar Fair. Unless I am missing something it just sounds almost exactly what I would expect from CF.

Red Racer review:

Well, the Racer looks nice with red and blue trains on each side, and I did see some racing going on. Unfortunately the ride on Red Racer was very mediocre. RIP, Backwards Racer! Now, there's a lot of re-tracking, so it's a very smooth, enjoyable ride. I rode last car front bench. But there was hardly any airtime! I was really upset, you usually got a nice dose on the Backwards Racer. -sigh-

Eh, maybe it'll run better later in the season after the new sections have worn in a little bit. Also, it might run better later in the day. We used to spend the last hour or so that that park was open riding nothing but the Racer. Sometimes we'd get lucky and the fireworks would start shooting off right as we hit the turn around.

Eh, maybe it'll run better later in the season after the new sections have worn in a little bit. Also, it might run better later in the day. We used to spend the last hour or so that that park was open riding nothing but the Racer. Sometimes we'd get lucky and the fireworks would start shooting off right as we hit the turn around.

I hope so...and I realized that trim on the turn around sucks! Blah, maybe my opinion will change later.

And coaster05; that's really the just of The Crypt. No payoff. Well...there is - the ride itself. But I hate it when they have to close off rows because they remove seats/cars from a ride/coaster. Just a pet peave.

And coaster05; that's really the just of The Crypt. No payoff. Well...there is - the ride itself. But I hate it when they have to close off rows because they remove seats/cars from a ride/coaster. Just a pet peave.

One thing that ride does not need is less capacity. I think I've only been on it one time because the lines are always horrific. I can't imagine what the lines will be like with 1/3rd less capacity.

Sorry I couldn't talk much when you called me, JZ, I've been super busy lately. Glad to hear there are changes for the better. Too bad about the Racer, though. Maybe it will get better with age... I have negative money with being in college again and all, but if you hook me up, I'll come and spend a day at good ole' KI with you sometime this summer.

-James Dillaman