TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags' Mark Shapiro Visits Europa Park

This just in from Europa Park:

Six Flags CEO came for a visit to Germany’s biggest theme park

Mark Shapiro enjoyed southern atmosphere at Europa-Park

On 5 April, two leisure professionals from the US landed on the Black Forest Airport in Lahr: Mark Shapiro, President and CEO of Six Flags Inc., and the Vice President of the US-American leisure company Mark Quenzel came to Germany’s biggest theme park for an informative visit and enjoyed not only many fascinating thrill-rides but also the southern ambience of the 4-star superior hotel “Colosseo”. They had been invited for an informative stay by Europa-Park’s managing director Roland Mack.

The theme park experts were especially impressed by the variety of attractions and by the large offer for families at Europa-Park, because the reorientation of the altogether 21 American Six Flags theme parks clearly involves that the parks have to be designed more attractive for families. Especially with regards to family-offers, Shapiro and Quenzel were able to get new impressions and ideas at Europa-Park.

Among other attractions, the following rides were tested by Shapiro and Quenzel: the dark coaster “Eurosat”, the YoungSTAR Coaster “Pegasus”, the “Euro-Mir” in the Russian themed area and water coasters such as “Poseidon” and “Atlantica SuperSplash” – all of them built by MACK Rides in Waldkirch.

But not just the “thrill rides” in Germany’s biggest theme park were among the favourites of the US-American visitors: they also went on an expedition to find the sunken city in the new theme ride “Atlantis Adventure” in the Greek themed area and the new “Science House” offered interesting insights into science and technology.

In the evening, the Six Flags delegation stayed in the Roman-Italian themed hotel “Colosseo”, which has given proof of the high standards of quality in Germany’s biggest theme park already in 2004, when the IAAPA Summer Meeting was held in the new hotel. During its 32 years of existence, Europa-Park has continuously developed and is meanwhile the largest seasonal theme park in the world.

Europa-Park is open until 4 November, daily from 9 am to 6 pm (longer opening hours during peak season). Further information on www.europa-park.co.uk.

MarkShapiro2.jpg.7d60b35815af90245e1063457ca96818.jpg

left to right: Mark Quenzel, Thomas and Roland Mack, Mark Shapiro, Jürgen and Michael Mack in front of the historical “Balthasar Castle”

MarkShapiro1.jpg.46d1b3f168d0f06c6225a96a9bcd9790.jpg

Three theme park professionals: Jürgen Mack, Mark Shapiro and Roland Mack (left to right)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a sales pitch to me. But hey, if you are going to take ideas from (or buy rides based on concepts at) a theme park...Europa Park is a great place to start! The park has themeing on par with any Disney park, awesome rides, and the hotels were awesome too.

^ Wrong. Roland and Jürgen Mack own the park, Michael Mack is Roland's son. The coaster company is owned by Kurt and Christel Mack-Even. Kurt and Christel are cousins of Roland and Jürgen though. The park was originaly build as a sort of showroom for Mack Rides.

I think its pretty cool that he took a trip over there, I know how much people love Europa

Maybe Mark can learn a few things about capacity while visiting Europa! Im not sure if Europa even knows what single train operation is...

I don't know if you've been to a Six Flags this year, but I know my local Six Flags has been running things to max capacity consistently, and I recall reading Great Adventure doing the same...

Not that there's really been the need for all trains to run so far this year with the cold weather and low crowds, but quite a few coasters at SFGAd haven't been running to capacity.

--El Toro just started running 2 trains on Monday.

--Nitro and Runaway Mine Train's 3rd trains are both still in pieces

--Rolling Thunder has only been using one train on one track

--GASM and Medusa have only been using 2 trains

--S:UF seems to mostly be one train

It definitely seems like they're going to make the effort this year, but it's not there just yet.

Shapire visiting Europa can only be a good thing. I haven't been there yet, but from what I've heard, it's definitely one of my must-get-to parks.