TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

My favorite team is the San Jose Sharks. No, not because they are in 1st. I've been watching them ever since I can remember. So far their record is 17-3-1. They are on fire and getting contributions from every player. I'm hoping to make it to a game or two this year. Maybe even a playoff game.

^ Just have to hope they can finally perform in the playoffs. San Jose the past few years has been a great regular season team,but faded in the playoffs.

The rebuilding in Toronto is in full swing as we're on the verge of getting Brian Burke as GM. But it's going to be a few more painful years.

Burke is overrated. He's already left Vancouver struggling and with very, very few assets, and then took over an Anaheim team with over half the team [and most of it's core contributors] ready and set for him, and suddenly he's become some sort of god-like GM. It's awful. He's not successfully rebuilt a team, and his preferred style of player is very narrow-minded and is not built to last in this new NHL.

He has done some good moves, but every GM has their good moves. His good moves were more plentiful than a bad GM's, but not more plentiful than his bad moves, and that is not the kind of guy we need on a team with very little in it's cupboard already.

I do, of course, reserve the right to change my mind if Burke blows everyone out of the water

^ I prefer not to think of it as Burke coming in as GM.

I prefer to think of it as removing Richard Peddie's power for the next six years. Preventing MLSE from sticking their nose where it doesn't belong is a great thing, regardless of who the GM is.

I just hope Tim Thomas can continue to play at this level all season.

You know, I've always been surprised at how Thomas gets the results he does. He's always looked like a brutal goalie to me. But I guess I can't really call it luck anymore.

Thomas has been great, I agree that he has looked decent in the past but really seems to be turning into an elite player this year. I am wondering with a new GM for the Leafs if they make an attempt to bring Sundin back. My guess right now is no, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

^ I doubt it. It seems most likely that Sundin will go to the Rangers.

I just can't see him come back to a losing situation in Toronto, as much as he has been the face of the franchise for the last decade.

And although they won't come out and say it, the team probably doesn't want to spend the money to bring him back. It would just hurt their attempts of blowing the team up.

• 1 month later...

Theres one game im looking forward to on new years day, and its not college football .

Its going to be an awesome scene watching the Hawks play the Wings at Wrigley Field, couldnt have picked a better year for it also with all the young talent the Blackhawks have, on an 8 game winning streak, 2nd in the division behind Detroit. Its going to be a great game and a great stretch-run to the playoffs. Oh...and GO HAWKS.

I am still a little puzzled by the Canes bringing back Paul Maurice, especially since Laviolette had the team within playoff contention. I know they were struggling, but I don't recall bringing back a guy you fired before being the best fix. The one thing I will say is that the team has been keeping up with the #8 spot a good portion of this month. As of Today, they are tied with Buffalo with 39 pts.

Current League Standings:

1 San Jose Sharks

2 Boston Bruins

3 Detroit Red Wings

4 Washington Capitals

5 New York Rangers

6 Montréal Canadiens

7 Chicago Blackhawks

If only I could erase the Caps, replace the Sharks with the B's (Sorry Rick), move the Leafs into the #2 slot, bump the Hawks to Washington's spot, and keep the Rangers and Habs in the cellar, I'd be in Original 6 heaven!

Either way, this is as close to perfect as it might ever be again in this day and age.

Boo for no Wayne Messmer.

The most overated singer???? Blah.

And screw the media and their friggin' idiotic mentioning of Bartman at every gosh darn sporting event at Wrigley.

News Flash: BARTMAN DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE CUBS LOSING. ALEX GONZALEZ, DUSTY BAKER, AND MARK PRIOR DID.

Drop it you assclowns, it's five years ago already.

Red Wings continue to prove theyre the class of the NHL and until someone dethrones them in the playoffs thats the way it will stay. Really sucks the Hawks lost the most publicized game of the regular season (not only that, got their face kicked in 2 games in a row), but thats what happens when a great young team plays a great veteran team.

Boo for no Wayne Messmer.

The most overated singer???? Blah.

Negative, Ghostrider. Wayne Messmer was the national anthem at a Hawks game. If this doesn't give you chills ('91 NHL All-Star Game), then you don't love hockey, and Matt, you must be a terrorist.

By the way, is that Bartman at 0:51?

Current League Standings:

1 San Jose Sharks

2 Boston Bruins

3 Detroit Red Wings

4 Washington Capitals

5 New York Rangers

6 Montréal Canadiens

7 Chicago Blackhawks

If only I could erase the Caps, replace the Sharks with the B's (Sorry Rick), move the Leafs into the #2 slot, bump the Hawks to Washington's spot, and keep the Rangers and Habs in the cellar, I'd be in Original 6 heaven!

Either way, this is as close to perfect as it might ever be again in this day and age.

Well, you could put an asterix next to San Jose until they show up in the playoffs. And Washington won't go anywhere anytime soon. You can't win in the NHL with a one person team.

You'll have to wait a few years for the Leafs to become respectable again though.

Mean while in LA, the Kings are still playing .500 hockey. I'm really thinking that the Kings will make the playoff's next year! I managed to get out and see a game a week or so ago as part of a quasi-bachelor party. They lost the game but looked much better then in previous years.