TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Gerstlauer Spinner- Update

http://www.westedmontonmall.com/play/galaxyland.asp

Brand new Gerstlauer spinning coaster for West Edmonton Mall's Galaxyland, opening in Summer 2007! The ride will wind all over the park!

"Galaxyland set to welcome a big addition!

Construction is underway in Galaxyland to install a brand new roller coaster that will be completed this summer and will mark the biggest addition to the park since it opened in 1985. Designed for people of all ages and will rank somewhere between the park's famous Mindbender roller coaster and the somewhat tamer Autosled. "

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These Gerstlauer spinning coasters seem really popular with the GP, and I doubt that this will be an exception. The design looks fun, and it looks like it will have good airtime on some hills. My only complaint is that I don't think there enough turns for a spinning coaster like this. Look at Dragons Fury or Timberland Twister, those are filled with turns., but this one seems straight forward with out many turns.

These Gerstlauer spinning coasters seem really popular with the GP, and I doubt that this will be an exception. The design looks fun, and it looks like it will have good airtime on some hills. My only complaint is that I don't think there enough turns for a spinning coaster like this. Look at Dragons Fury or Timberland Twister, those are filled with turns., but this one seems straight forward with out many turns.

It has like four lift hills haha, and there are a lot of turns. Look carefully at the video, I was very dissapointed the first time I looked at it, but I took a double take, and the end of the ride is pretty twisted. Isn't Dragon's Fury Maurer Sohne?

It's about time we saw a Gerstlauer spinner that wasnt a clone!

Most of them are clones? I never knew that!

"Construction on the park's 4th roller coaster has commenced. The coaster will create a very visible addition to Galaxyland with the track winding its way around the entire park. Each car on the coaster train will not only wind along the park-wide track but spin on its own axis while doing so, thereby adding a whole new dimension to the traditional roller coaster ride and ensuring no two rides are ever the same. This will be the first coaster of its kind in Canada. This new roller coaster will be a family ride, similar to the "Autosled", but will be around 3 times the length. The roller coaster will cover all areas of the park, heading over the "Swing of the Century", and even going through the second loop of the Mindbender roller coaster. A small section of the ride is to be positioned outside, heading through the roof (while remaining enclosed). Heavy construction is scheduled to begin in May, and will likely not be ready in time for the busy summer season. Workers have ripped out part of the purple-blue rocks in some places and have cut lines on the ground in some places to make room for this attraction."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxyland

It has like four lift hills haha, and there are a lot of turns. Look carefully at the video, I was very dissapointed the first time I looked at it, but I took a double take, and the end of the ride is pretty twisted. Isn't Dragon's Fury Maurer Sohne?

One helix at the end of yet another lift does not make a ride good though, and everything leading up to that point looks pretty 'meh'

It's about time we saw a Gerstlauer spinner that wasnt a clone!

Most of them are clones? I never knew that!

Are you joking? Every single Gerstlauer spinner up until now has been a clone.

Spinning Dragons, Timberland Twister, Mr. Six's Pandemonium, Tony Hawk's Big Spin (SFStL), and Tony Hawks Big Spin (SFFT).

Anyways, this coaster does seem to be very drawn out and boring, nothing at all like its tight and twisted counter-parts. And what's up with the lift hills using tires? Maybe it's launched up them!

I like the look of the new Gerst track on that coaster, I want their version of NL! no fair!

Looks fun but the 4 lift hills is really over kill.

It's because the ride is high off the ground, and they are already building a roof extension, but building one really big to make it a single lift hill would cost a lot of money.

Great!

A good reason to take a drive over to Alberta for a ride-see ... hee hee hee.

Oops. Forgot, I also still have a couple of creds at Calaway Park in Calgary, to pick up, too. Great! That means four credits between Edmonton and C-town. Sweet!

I like the look of the new Gerst track on that coaster, I want their version of NL! no fair!

It's because the ride is high off the ground, and they are already building a roof extension, but building one really big to make it a single lift hill would cost a lot of money.

then why does the one at MOA have 1 lift?

or why do they have a Shwartzkopht indoors, it's not too expensive, they could shorten the layout.

or why do they have a Shwartzkopht indoors, it's not too expensive, they could shorten the layout.

Because the one at MOA is a heckofalot shorter, it's compact, stays in one area of the park, and they had room when they built it. And the Schwarzkopf is there from 1985! I think it was there when GL built it!

Great!

A good reason to take a drive over to Alberta for a ride-see ... hee hee hee.

Oops. Forgot, I also still have a couple of creds at Calaway Park in Calgary, to pick up, too. Great! That means four credits between Edmonton and C-town. Sweet!

If you can get on the dragon wagon at Galaxyland, then that's four credits there.

Length: 1492'

Height: 44'

Inversions: 0

Speed: 30 mph

Duration: 1:27

Alright, I'm really second guessing that that video is the coaster.. these stats look nothing like it.. it's only ten feet shorter than timberland twister... maybe it's just NL that needed the tires or something, because this doesn't appear to need four lifts if it's max speed is 1 mph less that TT's, and it only has one lift... and this one is longer...

Because the one at MOA is a heckofalot shorter,

Yes, a MASSIVE 147ft.

^^ Already did Dragon Wagon and Mindbender on last visit there, few years back, but thanks for the reminding of, heh heh.

The Sled and the new spinning will be the two new creds for me, there.

Because the one at MOA is a heckofalot shorter,

Yes, a MASSIVE 147ft.

That is longer, in a spinning coaster that could be like 3 helices..

The tire driven lift hill things look cool, but overall I think the ride looks tame. A tame coaster will be good for a mall setting.

Because.. Mindbender is tame? And the double shot? This park has a lot of things... and actually, I'm really thinking now, even moreso because the track colours differ, that this isn't the final version.

A "LIM" Spinning coaster would be good for this type of layout, save on tyres for the lift-hill sections. It should be able to produce 20 spins a min if you get the weight ratio right.

I like "Dragons Fury" at Chessington, the only downside is not much on the hills. love the downward spiral helix's

The tire driven lift hill things look cool, but overall I think the ride looks tame. A tame coaster will be good for a mall setting.

Because.. Mindbender is tame? And the double shot? This park has a lot of things... and actually, I'm really thinking now, even moreso because the track colours differ, that this isn't the final version.

Yes, they decided to switch the colors, so they're obviously going to re-adjust the whole layout that they announced. Or maybe they reliezed the layout sucks, and they're trying to keep people like you optimistic. There is always the slim possibilty that they just switched the colors...

The ride looks like a bomb to me. That many lifts look horrible. I'm not a fan of exiting a lift, just to go around a turn before going back up another. Not only do the lifts look like a bummer, but I always thought spinners were supposed to spin. Other than the last block (I do like it, but it's only "YAHOO! THREE LITTLE TURNS!"), and the very start, the cars look nearly stationary.

Did they make a track with the little space they have? Yes. Does it look like a fun one? Hell naw.