NPD data

DS = 918,000

PS2 = 664,000

GBA = 641,000

360 = 511,000

Wii = 476,000

PSP = 412,000

PS3 = 197,000

Nintendo sold- 2,035,000 systems (Not counting GC's)

Sony Sold- 1,273,000 systems

Pretty sad that Sony did not even ship 200k PS3's in November

I am very surprised that GBA is still selling that well with the DS being such a mega hit.

I wonder if this counts the Micro as well, I bought a GBM last month for $40 and it is a very sleek and cool little system with a great screen.

Alot of people cannot believe PS2 has not gone down to $99 yet, but why would they if it is still selling that well.

JEFF

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe because they are $130... or because people think they are getting a GREAT deal on "the new playstation"

I think the number of units sold for the Wii is surprisingly low. Everyone kept saying "Nintendo is rolling out 4 million Wii's by year's end" and then they only go and sell a little less than 500,000. So either the numbers were off or there are a lot more headed over soon.

On the other hand, the number Sony was supposed to have by 12.31 was only 400,000 and they already sold half of that...

I can truthfully say why Sony is lacking is because most of the PS3's sold are still floating around Ebay and of course slow production.

Last friday, my school did a survey and one of the questions were "PS3, 360, or Wii?"

Unfortunate to see, my high school is all "OMG PS3 ROX!", followed closely by "Xbox 360... must... have... Halo 3..." Only a handful of Wii votes .

Then of course, the PS/PS2 is practically the NES of this generation. It will live on for years after its release (at most, 10+, the PS1 died out in 2004). The PS2's library is large and vast, and when it first came out, it was practically an all-in-one box for a living room back in 2000 (Good game system with a DVD player, as we know, DVD's caught on in 2000 or so, Sony won because of that, and why it was one of the many nails in the coffin for the SEGA Dreamcast).

As for the PSP, unsurprising, however a few good games have been coming out for it. Oh yeah, it can play emulators too (porta Genesis/SNES/NES/N64).

Bravo Nintendo, I especially like the DS figure. Now, if only I had some cash to get some new games (Megaman ZX, Kirby Squeak Squad, Yoshi's Island DS).

^ High-school kids are idiots (no offense ) of course they're going to fall for all the PS3 marketing guff.

Why are people still buying PS2s??

Because they're cheap! A lot of PS2s are becoming presents for little kids, and the kid game market on that system is booming.

And I have to agree with Elissa that the DS is one of the best systems around .. I can't really think of anything it's missing or got wrong..

Cameron (Still Wii-less) Silver.

I think the number of units sold for the Wii is surprisingly low. Everyone kept saying "Nintendo is rolling out 4 million Wii's by year's end" and then they only go and sell a little less than 500,000. So either the numbers were off or there are a lot more headed over soon.

From what I here that 4 million is the woldwide figure by years end.

Probably 2 million in the us, 1 million japan and 1 million for europe.

(Good game system with a DVD player, as we know, DVD's caught on in 2000 or so, Sony won because of that, and why it was one of the many nails in the coffin for the SEGA Dreamcast).

Sony did not win because of that. To be honest the PS2 was a really crappy DVD player. Mine would barely play DVDs.

Dreamcast was a stronger system with better games.

Sony won only because it's hype machine crushed Sega.

And because of EA's refusing to support the DC. Had Madden been a launch game instead of NFL 2K (I prefer the 2K series to Madden), I think it would have really helped the DC.

Too many people won't buy a system without EA's games and won't even give another sports game a chance, as shown by Madden 2005 still outselling NFL 2K5 on PS2 despite NFL 2K5 having a price tag 60% lower than Madden.

I can't believe how well GBA is still selling. It's a good system but I would think most people would rather just get a DS at this point since it plays the GBA games as well.

Im guessing most of you know about www.nexgenwars.com. Being a fan of the Wii, I hope those figures forshadow the future, and I think they do. Theres alot of frustration being created by the lack of PS2s available which is one reason why some have either turned to Wii/Xbox360/ and even PS2s this holiday season. My friend just bought his GF a PS2 with a bunch of games for her Bday, so its no suprise PS2's are selling well still. PS1 still have games churning out long into PS2's life, so I expect PS2 to do the same and continue to sell well as other said they are cheap and have a huge game library of PS2 and PS1 games. Im curious about gamecube as well. When new systems comeout, obviously there are large price drops on the "old" ones, so Im wondering how GC sales were affected by Wii.

I was a big fan of the DC as well, still have one. The graphics were great and it had alot of decent games. Its a shame it went under so quickly. I also agree alot of the earlier and some later versions of PS2 had some really crappy dvd players, mines plagued with that problem, so who knows I might run out and buy a new slim PS2 since I have no intrest in PS3.

You know, I also have to say Nintendo is doing an awesome job at the DS, again. I just have to say this.

A few weeks ago, back in Thanksgiving, my young cousins were down. My 8 year old cousin, who was a girl, wanted a DS for a long time and has been saving up her money for one with Nintendogs.

Although I think of Nintendogs as a chore, I have to say Nintendo has done some pretty smart marketing with the DS and now hopefully the Wii. The DS and the "Touch Generations" games certainly are getting a LOT of casual gamers' and non-gamers' attention.

Viva la Nintendo!

What I find funny is with the amount of times I have gone into stores looking for Wiis not once have I found any but numerous times I have found at least 1 or two PS3's on the shelves.

Thats shows there people can't use the "well Nintendo shipped more" excuse. That does count for a good bit, but that also could be used against that argument that Nintendo shipped more then sony and oddly enough Sony is somehow more available. I was at the mall in a gamestop and found 1 PS3 on the shelf, and this was around 5 PM on a friday. Also, sorry if this has been talked about before, but what can you do with the photo channel in terms of sharing photos online? has anyone messed with that yet?

What I find funny is with the amount of times I have gone into stores looking for Wiis not once have I found any but numerous times I have found at least 1 or two PS3's on the shelves.

That's what i thought since my brother kept telling me they were sold out everywhere. The whole time he already had my Wii hidden somewhere he said he bought it a week after launch

Thats shows there people can't use the "well Nintendo shipped more" excuse. That does count for a good bit, but that also could be used against that argument that Nintendo shipped more then sony and oddly enough Sony is somehow more available. I was at the mall in a gamestop and found 1 PS3 on the shelf, and this was around 5 PM on a friday. Also, sorry if this has been talked about before, but what can you do with the photo channel in terms of sharing photos online? has anyone messed with that yet?

Its not that, its that Sony doesnt send thier PS3's out in big shipments. They send them out when they make a new one. So it could come at any time in the day to a store and no body knows.