TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney Characters gone wild?

I'm really not amused by this. These cast members should know better, it doesn't matter that they were out of public view, when you put on that costume you can't do stuff like that.

I hope they were all fired and worse!

Now, now...just because Chip N' Dale were the victims of some funky buttloving, don't get all testy!

G "Goofy's a bad dog" Money

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to be honest. I'm not amused by the video either. Disney has a right to protect their intellectual property and just because you work as a character doesn't give you a right to violate that, regardless if you're on stage or not. They are employees of a company paid to uphold very specific behavior rules (I too worked for Disney dealing with consumer products and licensed characters) and your employment agreement *DOES NOT* give you the right to do anything like this for *ANY* reason. PERIOD!

Now because of this video, which is out there for the public to see, Disney will have to additional work to explain this and it could have an impact on their image, at least to anyone who would see the video and not understand the context in which is was filmed.

This is NOT cool. And I agree those employees should be fired and there should be additional measures put in place to make sure something like this doesn't happen again.

--Robb "It's kind of sad that these employees couldn't be trusted." Alvey

I really don't see the big deal was, The people shoud be told to chill, but not fired. It just shouldnt have been leaked to the internet, that just blew it way out of proportion. These were just people messing around. YES this was videotaped, but please don't tell me this is the only time this has happened lol. Im sure Batman and wonder woman or whatever have had mock shack ups before they go out on stage. It probly happens everywhere, I mean you have to think of how many teenagers and early 20 somethings are in these costumes, theyre just messing around people. You can't put your finger at those specific people and say "OMG theyre so dirty what the hell!!" because like I said, this was the only VIDEOTAPED account of costumed characters or employees in general doing stupid stuff and goofing around behind the scenes (not like that or just in sexual context, but anything), but trust me im sure stuff like this happens at every park. They're just messing around having some fun and yeah I agree its weird but whatever, it was done behind closed doors where theres no access to the public and that video should have never seen the light of internet, THAT is what blew it up into what it could become. I'm sure EVERYONE has done something dumb or stupid goofing around on any job in some way that they shrug off, but if videotaped and put on the internet for millions to see would piss you off and blow it WAY out of proportion just as I see this, slapped up and blown up to a huge international "scandal" about disneys hidden sex romps or whatever I blame the moron with the camera mostly and/or whoever leaked it.

Although I think it is hysterical, if you sign a contract which the employees did, there should be ramifications.

My brother-in-law works for ABC/Disney so they have never had a spotless image in my mind.

A couple of years ago an employee of my company went to a party sponsored by a vendor. This was off the company property closed event at a bar. She got completely annihilated and made a fool of herself (to the point of defecating in her clothes).

She was canned the next day and rightly so as she broke an agreement she signed about embarassing the company.

I really don't see the big deal was,

The "big deal" is that these are characters that a multi-BILLION dollar company has been based on for nearly 100 years.

A bunch of kids in costumes DO NOT HAVE ANY RIGHT to tarnish that image just because they wanted to have some fun "messing around" or blow off some steam.

Perhaps after you've created charaters that millions of kids all over the world grew to love and have built an empire only to watch a bunch of kids f**k with your work then you'll understand.

The point is...THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN DOING THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE!

--Robb "Larry's right...they are in total violation of their contract." Alvey

Too many broken funny bones out there.

Should they be fired? Who cares?

Why should that stop anybody from laughing at Minnie and Goofy dry humping?

"OMG! Inappropriate work ethic!"

Lighten up.

You don't understand how intellectual property and employment contracts work do you? Or what impact something like this could potentially have on Disney. Perhaps you're too young and immature to understand, I dunno, but you're statement is wrong. And that's not telling someone that their opinion is wrong. But you're just flat out wrong based on the letter of the contract these people signed.

I'm not sure how I could be more clear other than to dig up the copy of the contract I signed when I worked for Disney.

--Robb

I remember when I started working for Mickey that I spent the best part of a day signing various contracts about not aking photos back stage, not damaging the Disney brand, not talking about the characters as if they weren't real ( which they are) etc. etc.

I'm sure DLRP can work out who is responsible for this. Yuo can see the faces of several Cast members so they could be interviewed. They could also work out from past rotas who was working that day and narrow down the suspect characters.

Whilst it's quite amusing think of all those little kids out there who could be devestated to hear about this. Not to mention the damage this could do to the Disney name.

damage done to the disney name because it was video taped and slapped up on the internet, like I said, ok they messed around and did something stupid, but i'm sure youll find stupid antics like this anywhere. Youd probly have to fire a hell of alot of people in alot of companies and alot of work places. I don't see how people laugh at guy and jahan (which i was one of those people that video was friggin halarious!) who not only took off their shirt while in the park, but while a ride was operating and whirled them around while being video taped, but just because this is a larger company its considered more "dangerous"? (ok not to specify just that topic just siting it because its more recent but theres alot of funny videos where some rules may have been bent just a little ).Sure theres more people out there with eyes on disney then there are jahan's nipples, but it doesn't make either any more right or wrong. I think if the video would have just stayed in that guy's personal collection (for whatever reason...) or not videotaped at all and no harm would have been done and nobody would ever have known just like the countless other antics that go on behind the scenes that we never see and worry about because if we did we would all have headaches.

The antics of the staff at the majority of companies don't draw the media attention that something like this does for Disney. Damage the brand of the characters and Disney loses a lot of money. Without Mickey, Minnie etc we wouldn't have the Disney parks around the world.

I'm honestly suprised no one has given the media a hard time here, like what usually happens when there is an accident at WDW in which the Orlando Sentinel "blasts" Disney. To me, the worst part of the story is that it was photographed, and then the photos got out. I would bet stuff like this happens at all the Disney parks... its just no one was stupid enough to take photos (which probably violates company rules) and somehow get them in the hands of media. Without the photos, no one would have known.

As for damaging a child.. do you really think that a 7-year-old would know what the characters are doing? And if they did.. do you still think they would "believe" they are real?

To me, its kind of like a sex tape. Think of how many celebrities have sex... but once in a while, a tape gets out. No one cares what they do in their homes until it gets out, and then everyone is making a big deal out of it.

Not saying that I approve of it, but it is kind of funny, and I think more is being made out of it then there should be... however I also feel that Disney has the right to respond in any way they feel, even if it means firing the employees.

I still dont see "damage to Disney" Though I see how it sucks for Disney and understand why they are mad because the stupid video leaked for how many to see, Disney can handle something like this and not really loose any credibility, like they do the accusations of "sex in the clouds" on lion king, the "penis" on the mermaid cover, the "all good teens take of their clothes" in alladin, and so on and so on. Theyre a solid company and Im not saying they SHOULD have to be able to handle stuff like this, im saying they are able to because it would take alot to put a HUGE dent into Disney.

As for damaging a child.. do you really think that a 7-year-old would know what the characters are doing? And if they did.. do you still think they would "believe" they are real?

It has nothing to do with what one child versus another might think is going on. It has to do with intellectual property rights and contracts signed by the employees.

These are VERY sensitive issues, especially with the company that has the most widely known intellectual properties in the world.

Perhaps I'm just not expecting people understand until they have actually worked for a company that deals in such a high profile, sensitive issue.

No one is really going to give a sh1t about Tommy Lee's or Paris Hilton's sex tapes because their image really hasn't changed much before or after the tape was released.

But there is a REASON why tapes like, or images of characters "with their heads off" DO NOT APPEAR in the public.

Think about the THOUSANDS of employees who have played these characters over the years. How many videos or images like this have we seen? Very, VERY few! In fact, the ONLY images I have seen have been photoshopped.

There *IS* something funny about it, when you know it's "fake" but when you see the ACTUAL characters who are clearly backstage at some Disney sponsored event or park, that really brings the whole "contractual agreement" issue into question.

Again, I don't expect people to understand unless they've worked for Disney or another similar company. But trying to convince people that this is "ok" is just clearing wrong....on many different levels.

--Robb

Yes Robb is right! I didnt realize there was a contract stating specifically not to act in such a manner. If a contract was signed then yes I would have to say it was inapropriate because there was a contract signed. Because a contract is a contract, I believe you should follow what it says with no exceptions. That is why they make them!

To protect their image!

But I also agree with Allan too. I am sure this is done all over the place and this is just ONE out of all the other things that may go on behind the scenes that just happened to be caught on camera.

I still dont see "damage to Disney"

Ok, let me try to explain it in pictures....let's pretend you're a CEO of a VERY successful company. And let's just say your company made religious artifacts for a very hetrosexual jewish community.

And perhaps you and a friend were "messing around" one day and you created the following image of yourself:

And somehow that image got leaked. It was obvious that YOU made it. It came from YOUR computer. And all YOUR heterosexual jewish customers were able to see your bashing the very reason why they buy your products. Think about what DAMAGE that image could do to your company.

NOW do you understand?

--Robb

It has nothing to do with what one child versus another might think is going on. It has to do with intellectual property rights and contracts signed by the employees.

Someone on the previous page mentioned the effect on children, which is where my comment came from.

But trying to convince people that this is "ok" is just clearing wrong....on many different levels.

For the record...

Not saying that I approve of it....

I just don't think its as grotesque as some have made it out to be, and also believe that the violation of company rules is the real issue.

- Joe

Sure Disney can cope with losing a few thousand dollars when they're as big as they are but why should they have to. To much of this sort of behaviour could seriously harm the company. It's built itself on offering good, clean harmelss fun to millions around the world. I'm sure there are a lot of families who might think twice knowing that cast members act in this way. There must be a lot of very conservative/straight laced people shocked by this. The more open minded will think it's funny but not everyone will.

I just don't think its as grotesque as some have made it out to be, and also believe that the violation of company rules is the real issue.

- Joe

I agree with you hear but this has affected a lot of people severely!

On a side note. We all know this is definetly going to get out on either Family Guy or South Park! Most likely both!!

I'm sure there are a lot of families who might think twice knowing that cast members act in this way.

EXACTLY!!! It's bad enough that you see headlines like "DISNEY'S KILLER RIDES" when I'm sure there is data out there shows a certain percentage of people who visit a Disney park don't go on rides and those headlines would not impact their day.

But I'm willing to put good money on it that many of those people who don't go on rides will take their children or grandchildren to get a picture or autograph with Minnie Mouse.

So imagine what a headline of "DISNEY CHARACTERS ARE SEX OFFENDERS" would do?

The last thing Disney wants is someone to say "I don't want my kids anywhere near those characters after that video I saw...."

I do agree that to many of the people here on this forum the video is probably funny and wouldn't impact any of us. But we need to think about how it affects the parks we love outside of this community.

--Robb