TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

I for one think that Harry Plopper is going to end up being a fading memory in another decade- requiring a huge capital outlay to change up the parks again- and possibly at a time when it's not resourceful to do so.

I disagree with this. Harry Potter is, and will remain as popular (if not more popular) than Star Wars. Not only does HP have more movies, but their books are infinitely more popular than Star Wars books.

It's not going anywhere.

And if you look at the $$ made for movie franchises, HP is on top.

http://boxofficemojo.com/franchises/?view=Franchise&sort=sumgross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Granted, you have to factor in inflation, but on the flip side you'd also have to factor in all of the re-releases for Star Wars.

(Can I just add ... for those of you who don't like HP, it could be worse. We could be getting Twilight.)

^ I nearly face palmed myself to death when I saw that they were going to do Phantom Menace in 3D.

And if I recall correctly, didn't JK Rowling say she'd write another novel if she felt like it? Sshe probably will. I doubt she'd just let the franchise wither away slowly but surely.

I'm still not quite sure if I want this to happen, but I think if they balance Potter with a new attraction 1 or 2 years after it opens, it'll divert the crowds a bit more than before.

Also, does anyone know the apox lifespan/how long they plan to keep either Mummy or Jurrassic Park? While the lower lot now has Transformers, I'd assume they'll need something new down there after HP opens up top to split the crowds up. I'd assume they'd probably get rid of Mummy before they would get rid of JP. Frankly, I like both so...

As for the Vision Plan, I hope that got dumped down the drain after Comcast took over. I honestly liked the sort of Movie Studio feel USH has, and I feel that if they were to add Potter, it would still keep to the theme bit better, but the area would need some serious improvements from IOA's.

As for different ride technology, didn't Universal recently pattent a system that was basically a coaster capable of latching onto a piece of track that moved like a motion sim through a darkride section? I think they should consider running with that before they decide to do a repeat performance with Kuka. Overall I felt the transitions on FJ ended up being choppy and awkward whereas Spidey has absolutely seamless scene transitioning.

^ I nearly face palmed myself to death when I saw that they were going to do Phantom Menace in 3D.

As for different ride technology, didn't Universal recently pattent a system that was basically a coaster capable of latching onto a piece of track that moved like a motion sim through a darkride section? I think they should consider running with that before they decide to do a repeat performance with Kuka. Overall I felt the transitions on FJ ended up being choppy and awkward whereas Spidey has absolutely seamless scene transitioning.

That was patented long ago, actually. I don't remember when it was, but it wasn't recent.

They're going incorporate FJ. The general public will be expecting that once the new land is announced. They could use that as a second ride, but tat would be jumping the gun to do two big themed rides at once. I would expect them to have some sort of alternate version of Dragon Challenge.

His reasoning is because there is no free space down on the lower lot, so something would have to be removed to add something new. However, I think there are more creative ideas then removing parts of the park. Its a lot easier to move a sound stage then empty a ride area and rebuild something else.

If anything, I'd say that the only change after HP we might see to the lower lot is maybe a re-theme for Mummy.

JP isn't going anywhere, especially considering that JP4 is reportedly coming soon.

As with Mummy, you could technically re-do that coaster with another franchise, bring in new (better) effects. I'm sure there is some Universal property coming out soon that could fit the bill.

Maybe even ... I hate to say it ... Fast and Furious? Those movies are more popular than Mummy at this point.

There's nothing wrong with clones. Especially when it allows people on one end of the world to experience an attraction they normally wouldn't be able to. What is upsetting, are clones that don't live up to the original. It saddens me to no end (hyperbole, I know its just a ride) that DCA's Tower of Terror could never hold a candle to DHS's. But I've come to terms with USH already being a downer of a park. The park serves as a sort of Greatest Hits album that happens to have weird remixes of some of your favorite songs and never seems to have the ones you REALLY like.

So, if they make very few sacrifices in transporting this attraction I will consider it a personal success. Financially, they got this. They can't lose. But as a fan of theme parks, movies, and good storytelling like Potter, I will be satisfied if it remains faithful to their original project.

Also, I NEEDS ME SOME BUTTERBEER!

I am very much for it, but I would rather have it built at the T2:3D up to the House of Horrors because it would just feel right there for me. Couldn't they just remove the parking structure and reinforce that whole area? Then they could build a different parking structure somewhere else to make up for the loss of Frankenstein's.

One attraction at a time! We're getting way ahead of ourselves talking about a JP or Mummy replacement to "balance out crowds" 3 years before this land/attraction/whatever it turns out to be is even supposed to open.

What I find most interesting is that Disney wanted the rights to Harry Potter on the west coast....

Edited by Jew

Regarding potterland at USJ, remember that USJ is not actually owned/operated by Universal. That is probably a deal breaker, as it came out when Blackstone sold its half of Universal that there was a clause in the licensing deal stating that Universal had to own/control the park or the licensing deal would end. You can never say never, but I do think that it is going to take a bit more time to get potterland into USJ/Singapore/any future parks Universal only licenses the brand to.

I really don't think the Brand Agreement is that big of a deal breaker. It can easily be modified and money talks, especially to that terrible woman JK Rowling!

^I want to be clear, I don't JUST hate Harry Potter, I hate how adults keep reading young adult fiction and loving it and creating movies and theme parks about it!

Anyone see the Simpsons episode about this a couple of weeks ago? It was awesome!

Why they're using Harry Potter when they have much better franchises available is beyond me. Seriously, why are the not making the SyFy Saturday Night section for a park? You can't tell me that a Sharktopus ride would not be the greatest thing ever. Universal, you're sitting on an untapped goldmine!

dt

^Sharktopus can replace Jaws!!!

From what I have heard secondhand, WB/JK Rowling are very protective of the brand (understandably so). I'm sure it will eventually work itself out, but I have to imagine they will be in talks for quite awhile to make sure a USJ version of WWoHP meets their standards.

Hearing stories like Universal having to talk JK Rowling out of insisting that WWoHP be staffed entirely by British people to keep the theme makes me think the logistics of getting this deal done for USH and any future parks isn't as simple as just a monetary thing. But this report really came out of nowhere (aside from the hint Ron Meyer dropped), so who know for sure! I'm definitely just speculating on my part.

Edited by Jew

Why they're using Harry Potter when they have much better franchises available is beyond me. Seriously, why are the not making the SyFy Saturday Night section for a park? You can't tell me that a Sharktopus ride would not be the greatest thing ever. Universal, you're sitting on an untapped goldmine!

dt

This is why we should be in charge of the parks.

I can only imagine all of the amazing rides and attractions we would come up with.

Plus there would be daily lesser Baldwin Brother meet and greets every day!

You had me at "lesser Baldwin Brother meet and greets every day"! This would be the greatest park ever!

Seriously, you could make so many awesome attractions from SyFy movies. Turn stupid, worthless Twister into NYC: Tornado Terror! Make Waterworld into Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus! Turn Transformers into Sharktopus (Yeah, I know, it's not open yet, but seriously Sharktopus > anything in any Transformers movie ever)! Have the tran tour drive past a scene where a yeti yanks a guys leg off then beats him with it! The possibilities are endless!!!

Seriously, why is Universal not hopping on our amazing ideas?!? Plus, we HAVE to be easier to work with than JK Rowling!

dt

^I want to be clear, I don't JUST hate Harry Potter, I hate how adults keep reading young adult fiction and loving it and creating movies and theme parks about it!

Anyone see the Simpsons episode about this a couple of weeks ago? It was awesome!

and that was a great episode...

Edited by Chroniq