TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I am 6'1" and 315lb. Are there any rides that should be avoided due to my size?

The only problem ride I see is Riddler's. Batman and Scream you'll need to be in rows 4 or 5. If you have any doubt, my recommendation would be to go up the exit to check restraint fit prior to waiting in line.

In regards to time, your only wait longer than 30 minutes will probably be X2.

Sir Clink.

You are correct! I only saw one manager picking up trash on Sunday compared to last Weekend where I saw a good number doing so. I did see a group meeting with what looked like leads from different areas getting lectured by someone standing in a circle.

The Dispatch lady for Goliath is one of the best and does well at keeping things moving. On a busy day they were pushing 900 per hour. Could be better but they only run 2 trains. Viper's crew was also doing well.

Scream got stuck a few times on the MCBR so 5 techs came out and did a reset... only took 15-20mins.

Glad to hear about the Kids Height requirement. My little bro can once again ride. (Maybe my title can be changed ) But now I think we know where the Green Lantern entrance will be since they're redoing Gotham Backlot.

-Cookie "Title Fairy I'm looking at you since I won the 36" Requirement fight!" Iorio

Relocated: A 28-foot-tall junior coaster -- formerly known as Road Runner Express at the now-shuttered Six Flags New Orleans park -- will also make its debut March 19 at Magic Mountain. The coaster was originally scheduled to open last summer at Magic Mountain as Mr. Six's DanceCoaster, but the park postponed the launch and dropped the name. After considering a new theme based on DC Comics superhero sidekicks, the park opted for simplicity and will name the coaster Road Runner Express. The coaster, which will have a 36-inch height requirement, replaces the former Sierra Falls water-tube slide.
Edited by robbalvey

So we have Roadrunner Express and Apocalypse. Standing by for rename of Green Lantern to 'Vertical Flippy Ride.'

I am glad they gave the roller skater a 36" requirement though, even if it DOES reside over with the rest of the under 54" rides. Maybe SFMM wants to keep all the kids stuff right there, like at PKI? I find it kind of nice exploring the park without a bazillion kids around, its the #1 reason I have not visited the Disney properties more than I have.

Why does Viper always seem to have blazing fast dispatches? Do the best crews just like working there or something?

I'm thinking it has to do with the simplicity of the restraints which affects their procedure.

Same with Colossus, Goliath when that one lady works, Apocolypse is usually all right.

Generally, speaking though they are all around pretty bad. Living in Socal I'm pretty spoiled with the Space Mountain 20 second dispatch.

I disagree with Road Runner Express simply being done for "Simplicity". I didn't care for the name "Little Flash" and it honestly didn't fit that name in that area of the park.

If they were somehow going to put the Roller Skater over near Batman or something, then it would have made sense with the whole DC Universe thing.

Don't forget Riddler!

Riddler was intentionally left out cause its 3rd train is in New Jersey. They may have no choice but to have 1 train operation if the 2nd is in rehab. I'm giving the park the benefit of the doubt. Probably shouldn't, but I am.

Maybe SFMM wants to keep all the kids stuff right there, like at PKI? I find it kind of nice exploring the park without a bazillion kids around,

As a parent of a child who can't ride many other rides in the park other than Bugs Bunny World, it's terrible. Case in point, Elissa, Kristen, and I were at the park last week with two of our friends. Elissa went with Kristen to the "kiddie area" and I went to ride coasters with our friends. Because we were making a clockwise circle around the park, I pretty much never saw Elissa and Kristen the rest of the day. At one point when I was back by Psyclone I called Elissa and said "Do you want to switch", but think about what a chore it is to walk ALL THE WAY OVER TO PSYCLONE, half way across the park, do the swap and drop off, and then walk ALL THE WAY BACK ACROSS THE PARK AGAIN to the kids area.

Parks like Dollywood and Silver Dollar City have it right. They are either kids rides or kids play areas all over the park so that adults can trade places with each other, do baby swaps, etc, and your kids aren't bored waiting around.

It would be really nice to have more things for kids to do in other parts of the park to make this easier...but I do get the feeling that a focus on "kids stuff" is not what SFMM is going to be targeting in the future years.

--Robb

I was just wondering, did anyone notice that with people on it in the POV that the front of the car barely passed the red on the tower.

I know this is a couple pages late, but I think the reason you barely see the red in the POV is because of the angle of the camera and the design of the car. If you're looking over the nose of the car when you're riding, it blocks a section to a section and a half of the track in front of you, so it may appear like you're just barely in the red even though the nose of the car is clearing it by more if you're on the ground watching. Also, the camera isn't pointed down to the nose of the train either, and if it was I have a feeling you'd see a lot more red.

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine they would want to launch it THAT CLOSE to the E-Brakes on a regular basis.

The E-Brakes at the top have no moving parts, they're more like magnets you see on B&M's and Intamins to slow the train down just in case. There's nothing mechanical up there that needs to work, so if they decided to launch the car to pass the magnetic brakes every time, it wouldn't be an issue and wouldn't cause any damage.

Then again, there's the still the underlying problem of excessive power consumption.

Not sure what you mean by this. Back in 96 Superman had problems with electricity because the wire gauge was too small to withstand the power the ride was taking but that was fixed long ago. The ride takes the same amount of power for each launch regardless of the launch speed. That's LSM's for ya. The problem with launching the ride at 100 is and has always been the computers that identify the location of the car on the track to fire the magnets sequentially. This timing is exceptionally fast. The computers they used to have had problems with such excessive speeds and would shut down the ride every couple cycles at the 100 MPH speed. This is why the ride ran at about 85 for the past decade - it was the fastest speed the computers could keep up with to keep downtime a minimum. It appears this issue has been fixed, especially if they are consistently launching trains at this new speed.

Unless the park installed some sort of cooling system we aren't aware of...Guess we will have to wait until it's been open for at least 6 months to find out if it can withstand constant operation at 100mph.

I think these videos of the ride going to the top of the tower show the park has done A LOT to the ride that maybe we aren't aware of, as there has not been any kind of technology leak to the public regarding the computer system, magnets or cooling system. Perhaps we will have to wait until WCB Q&A to get an answer from those in the know.

But as Robb mentioned, I for one am very happy to see this ride get some TLC it so desperately needed, and the ride not making it up to the very top by a couple feet is not going to make or break my appreciation for its refurbishment, or my excitement for the rides opening day.

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine they would want to launch it THAT CLOSE to the E-Brakes on a regular basis.

The E-Brakes at the top have no moving parts, they're more like magnets you see on B&M's and Intamins to slow the train down just in case. There's nothing mechanical up there that needs to work, so if they decided to launch the car to pass the magnetic brakes every time, it wouldn't be an issue and wouldn't cause any damage.

I'm not sure if this is correct. I have seen with my own eyes the car held at the top of the tower at those brakes.

hey guys its coasterjunkie91321 sorry ive been away so long health issues

back to topic i was just starting out working at sfmm through harts regional occupational program back in 96 when they had alot of mothballs to work out of the launch but looking at what they have done since then i give the maintance team props or the ride would not have the punch it has at the present all i can say is bring it on superman im ready

Another video was just posted on SFMM Facebook page with a POV!!!!

--Robb

EDIT: Here is what a good POV of their ride looks like....just so they know!

Hey Robb, did you get that POV from my locked topic? Oh yeah, just so you know i deleted it , anyway thanks for noting me with that e-mail , now i know how to start a proper discussion thread . Anyway have fun at Australia! If your free go check out the water parks they seem to look very neat! I think at Wild n Wet water park has an intamin Halfpipe . I THINK . Anyway thanks , for something.

I'm not sure if this is correct. I have seen with my own eyes the car held at the top of the tower at those brakes.

If the brakes at the top are "active" meaning they would have some sort of power source, then they could hold a car. However, if they are "passive" then they would only slow it then let it fall. I don't know which way it is but here's a pic of them, i can't tell if there is any conduit running to them, it's very hard to see. Maybe someone else can see it? But if Robb has seen the car actually being held then that would imply that they are indeed "active" brakes.

Robb,

To my knowledge the "e-brakes" at the top of the tower are the same design as the "e-brakes" behind the curtain in the station that are there to stop the vehicle in the event of a drive trip. It's just a strip of EXTREMELY powerful rare earth magnets. If the vehicle reaches the brakes behind the station it has to be winched off of the brakes very slowly.

I can see how it can appear that the car is being held at the top cause I can guarantee if the vehicle reaches those magnetic brakes at the top they are powerful enough to stall the vehicle enough that from the ground it'll look like it's being held. You should pitch that idea to Sandor.......Holding brake at the top

Edited by DJeXeL

I remember back in the day coming very, very close to the top. It felt like we during one ride almost touch Superman. Would not be surprised if from the ground it looked like the car was being held at the top by the magnets. If the car did almost reach the top, the strength of the magnets would hold the car up there for a moment or two longer than normal before the weight of the car and gravity took over? I would very much doubt that the magnets are strong enough to freeze the car in it's place until mechanics come to the rescue. But, a hold when the car approaches the top I am pretty sure I remember seeing. Then rushing up Superman hill to ride it because it was going faster than normal that day. It's been so long since I've seen it actually even approach the red zone, I'm actually just glad that it's getting close!

Very glad they dumped the "Little Flash" name. If Flash is going to be part of the DC Universe section of the park one day, a roller skater is not the coaster type that best represents the character. At least Road Runner fits into BBW perfectly.

Actually also like the DC Universe name. Backlot literally made no sense. It's not like the ride or any other attraction in the "Backlot" was related to movie production.

It would be nice if they would expand the "DC Universe" theme from the existing Gotham all the way to Riddler/Tidal Wave. Some name changes would be in order for Tidal Wave and the Bumper Cars though. I'm still hoping/wondering if they will somehow have another pathway from Batman to Riddlers to make that whole area mesh. Granted, Tidal Wave is in the way. They could name Tidal Wave "Aquaman" or something.

They can get rid of the Colossus County Fair sign over by the old Metro Station.

Somehow, I don't see Tidal Wave lasting much longer at all. That ride has become an eyesore, with low ridership to boot. I think something like Pilgim's Plunge may replace it elsewhere in the park one day, especially with a new park relationship with Intamin. That would free up the space needed to tie that whole section together.

And I think we will see a "Flash" ride at some point. Isn't there a film being developed?