TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

From here regarding The Dragon at Legoland (more or less an extended Roller Skater):

Minimum height: 40" (If under 48", must be accompanied by an adult 48" or taller)

Do you think that's reasonable?

Eric

In ways, the 48" and under (untill 40") is pretty reasonable, the minimum height of 40" is pretty unreasonable.

From here regarding The Dragon at Legoland (more or less an extended Roller Skater):

Minimum height: 40" (If under 48", must be accompanied by an adult 48" or taller)

Do you think that's reasonable?

Eric

The Dragon is a very different ride, though. Remember it's not a Roller Skater and the design of the ride is based on a pre-existing ride at the other Legolands that was not originally designed or built by Vekoma.

It also has that long, slow (and scary to some kids) dark ride part where a kid could potentially get out of the ride vehicle. So adult supervision might actually be more needed on this ride.

I would think 40" is reasonable given that it's more like a "Big Thunder Mountain" and less like your typical off-the-shelf model Roller Skater.

Remember that Legoland also has "Coastersauraus", which is more like your typical Roller Skater, and that coaster has a 36" height restriction.

--Robb

Wouldn't it be better if Vekoma just designated for all their models and call it problem solved? If not that, then how about a water dummy that mimics the size of a 36 inch tall kid? The way it seems, it comes down to restraint size.

It just seems kind of stupid to have different ride heights for virtually the same exact rides in the same company.

I just got a message on Twitter after I asked and gere what they said

I will doublecheck with Magic Moutain this afternoon (still very early on the west coast) but, according to the site its 42". Get back asap!

Andrew "For the record I didn't choose my title " Iorio

I just got a message on Twitter after I asked and gere what they said
I will doublecheck with Magic Moutain this afternoon (still very early on the west coast) but, according to the site its 42". Get back asap!

Andrew "For the record I didn't choose my title " Iorio

did you piss of the title fairy?

^ You can say that. Besides my title I have seen this all over Twitter, Screamscape and so forth and this 42 inch requirement is causing a lot of hoopla. Would SFMM look at this (Even though they had their Twitter account deleted) and change their mind because this just doesn't seem right.

Andrew "Glad Six Flags twitter is actually responding" Iorio

The Shamu express at Sea World Orlando is 42" as well , but....with a parent or adult they can ride at 36".

Not a Vekoma Roller Skater, but just proves our point anyway. This children's ride should be 36'' with an adult or 42'' alone, which is pretty much what the last six pages are all about.

What a waste of money and efforts if this stands. They should have used these funds and efforts to go toward a Kingda Ka clone for 2011.

Not only do we get a "family" roller coaster that nullifies the family aspect of it all, which makes the ride practically useless.

...But at least they are now tied with Cedar Point for the most coasters in one park.

I have to think this is just a misunderstanding, and I'm sure it'll all get straightened out today.

I'm not so sure about that. Usually, execs who will make these types of flaws in operations need to have a lesson in failure and then they change their strategy. The failure of Thomas Town (as the SFMM example) not increasing "family" attendance was a top down decision that imo did not take into account the regional competition.

My prediction is that the next error will be in the marketing of the ride. The commercials will advertise the record for the coasters, likely with a big old 17 coasters in maximum font size. They will show Term, Tatsu, X2, Deja..all the big ones, and maybe a split second of Mr. Six. So just by association, the average customer will incorrectly assume it's also a thrill ride, and show up and be dissapointed.

I'm really hoping they actually advertise Mr. Six in context with the other "family" rides / attractions from Thomas Town / Bugs Bunny.

100% agree about the height limits. Goldrusher having seatbelts seems like the cheapest way to add an additional ride for the younger set. If family and park cleanup is their focus, then Goldrusher should be near the top of the list.

To end on a positive note, I do appreciate the coaster paint jobs and the obvious effort being made to continually improve the aesthetic appeal of the park.