TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Ah Superman. They won't take it out. It's still a good ride even though it was put in 1997. I remember when I was there in 1999 Superman had ride pictures but I didn't get one. I wish I did now. I have ride pictures from Batman & Riddlers both 1999. When I was there in 2006 I went right to Superman after opening & got to ride in the front 3 times in a row w/out getting off. For the 4th time I had to move to the 2nd row. But why can't they make the cars go higher up the tower to make it even more thrilling? I can just hear the launch of the cars now!

The cars do not go up as high because the ride is no longer as fast as it used to be. To the extent of my knowledge, what did S:TE intitial launch in was poor maintence and numerous breakdowns. And S:TE is a maintence nightmare

Just got back from the park today and everything was great except for the ride ops at Scream. Decent dispatches but constant chatter between operators over the speakers, constantly pressing of the horn, and there was tons of trash littered throughout the line (though RRv's was worst). Oh, and there was also lots of trash inside the funnel cake bakery too. On a side note, has there always been fog in Terminator's first tunnel after the fire?

Just got back from the park today and everything was great except for the ride ops at Scream. Decent dispatches but constant chatter between operators over the speakers, constantly pressing of the horn, and there was tons of trash littered throughout the line (though RRv's was worst). Oh, and there was also lots of trash inside the funnel cake bakery too. On a side note, has there always been fog in Terminator's first tunnel after the fire?

^Do the ride operators at Scream really need to be on their game that much? I mean it never does have a line, oh well you're always gonna run into some bad eggs at any park. And yes Terminator has always had fog, however, like X2, it is sometimes turned off

Just got back from the park today and everything was great except for the ride ops at Scream. Decent dispatches but constant chatter between operators over the speakers, constantly pressing of the horn, and there was tons of trash littered throughout the line (though RRv's was worst). Oh, and there was also lots of trash inside the funnel cake bakery too.

PLEASE go to Guest Relations and leave comments like this!

Hey guys...I read somewhere that the station for Riddler's Revenge has a messed up row sorter. Is this true? Is there any kind of rider row sorting divisions going on in there???

Do they at least have signs telling you, "First row left" and "Rows 2-8 right"??

Are there any other coasters in the park that have a messed up station or row sorter?

Its not really a messed up "row sorter" as much as the station is just huge and they dont use a grouper. Actually they do have someone controlling the line that goes up to the station (person who stands at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the station)...but well most of the time they dont do a stellar job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGicyMlWzfw

Its not really a messed up "row sorter" as much as the station is just huge and they dont use a grouper. Actually they do have someone controlling the line that goes up to the station (person who stands at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the station)...but well most of the time they dont do a stellar job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGicyMlWzfw

LOL...party in the RRv station!!!!

EDIT: On a side note are there any rough coasters at SFMM? Any that can cause slight pain?

I know at my homepark, SFGAm Iron Wolf has a nasty corkscrew, it's rough as hell, it can give you headaches, and they tend to stop the trains hard on the final brake run, and if you're not paying attention, that hard stop can strike your family jewels very hard.

I hope RRv is better, since it was built eight years later...

RRV is a great ride, one of the best in the park. While its not butter smooth its not nearly as rough as Iron Wolf (although I love Iron Wolf for its start to finish sheer intensity).

Most people consider Viper rough though IMO its not that rough, like all Arrow loopers sit in car 7 row 1 for the best ride. Last time I rode it was closer to the front and it jerked around quite a bit. Your home park being SFGAm though im sure you remember Shockwave, its not nearly as rough/intense as that because theres a trim right before the 2 loops and it doesnt turn sharply into the MCBR. Colossus is pretty rough also but not nearly as bad as Mean Streak, SOB, or Cyclone at SFNE.

RRV is a great ride, one of the best in the park. While its not butter smooth its not nearly as rough as Iron Wolf (although I love Iron Wolf for its start to finish sheer intensity).

Most people consider Viper rough though IMO its not that rough, like all Arrow loopers sit in car 7 row 1 for the best ride. Last time I rode it was closer to the front and it jerked around quite a bit. Your home park being SFGAm though im sure you remember Shockwave, its not nearly as rough/intense as that because theres a trim right before the 2 loops and it doesnt turn sharply into the MCBR. Colossus is pretty rough also but not nearly as bad as Mean Streak, SOB, or Cyclone at SFNE.

How could I forget it? Thanks for the tip.

^I'm 6'1", if you were shorter and yor head was at grade with the OSTR's, as I remember when I was shorter, it would be a rough headbanger. I think the shoulder-head trade off is a fair one.

I'm 5' 7"...I don't think my head would come over Viper's OSTR's???

Last time I rode Viper I leaned forward, didnt bang my head once, it has gotten much smoother in the past half a year though cause I also remember that ride absolutely killing me. X2 can be good and bad, sometimes I've come off thinking that it's the smoothest Arrow ever and wonder what everyone complains about, and other it hurts like hell

EDIT: On a side note are there any rough coasters at SFMM? Any that can cause slight pain?

quote]

X2 can be really rough on an outside seat, it's also rougher the farther back you sit. Go front row inside seat and you'll get a great ride.

Viper is a pretty rough ride most of the time, there's some days where it's just magically smooth, but unless you get that day, expect a headbanging experience.

I'd say that's all at SFMM that you need to worry about for roughness, and no I am not forgetting anything.

I rode Viper back on June 26, 2007. I was almost always the only one riding, even though the park was crowded. No one wanted to ride Viper I guess! I rode it about ten times that day. The front was very smooth. Not butter smooth, but it had a few "fun" bumps to it. The back was fun, but it was a little rough. I only rode back there once or twice. Granted it was 2 years ago, but it still shows how Viper varies it's smoothness.

^Do the ride operators at Scream really need to be on their game that much? I mean it never does have a line, oh well you're always gonna run into some bad eggs at any park. And yes Terminator has always had fog, however, like X2, it is sometimes turned off

My friend was with me last night, guy lives in Valencia but hasn't been back to the park in nearly a decade. After witnessing the Scream ride ops goof around and stack the trains, he said "I guess things haven't changed much here." So yeah, the rest of the park operation was great, but it only took one ride to taint my friend's perception of the park.

Oh and Scream was pretty darn rough last night and I was riding in the front.

^Scream definitely has its ups and downs...mainly downs...but yeah definitely report those people, you just went in at the wrong time, I've never noticed an especially bad crew...well I don't really notice how fast crews are since I'm too excited to ride to think about that stuff

Anybody else notice that SFMM LOWERED Admission prices very recently? The adult regular price went from $59.99 to $53.99, which with the Buy 1 get 1 free discount is a great deal! Hope to see other parks follow this move and lower prices.