TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I was thinking of holidaying up the Gotham District. Add some fake snow and add some Christmas Decorations. And there's always everyone favorite Christmas song...

Jingle Bells

Batman Smells

Robin Laid an Egg

The Batmobile Lost a Wheel

And Joker got away

Jingle Bells

Batman Smells

Robin Laid an Egg

And Joker got away

Jingle Bells

Batman Smells

Robin Laid an Egg

And Jo-ker got away

[instrumental cymbals, pounding & stuff]

THE JOKER GOT AWAY!

THE JOKER GOT AWAY!

I was at the park today and here is what I observed

The good.

Tatsu's operations are great 90sec- 2min dispatches

Deja Vu is being re painted

Terminator looks like it will go vertical real soon.

X2 lift has been silenced.

The bad.

X2 had a 150min wait due to one train operation all day. (good job sfmm!)

Viper was at one train operation all day

Scream was at one train operation all day causing a 45min wait.

Saw a few employees on cell phone.

Some more information for New Years Eve...

http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/7039/

Some highlights of the article...

Tickets cost $29.99 at www.sixflags.com.

Pretty cheap, I expect a huge crowd. I think this is a good idea. It makes New Years for the whole family instead of just for adults to drink too much.

I've gone looking through pages of thread material looking for my answer, and maybe I just missed it, but I haven't found it.

SFMM's website says regarding the New Year's Eve party "All activities are included with park admission." However, this article says that tickets cost $29.99. So exactly what ticket are people buying for $29.99? Is SFMM discounting admission that much for New Year's Eve or am I really missing something here?

^ On the winter wonderland note...it has been know to snow in Valencia, thus covering SFMM. Rides wouldn't likely be operating in such conditions, but people could still come in to shop, eat, etc. if they had a craft fair or something along those lines. One of the hills could be covered with snow to provide sledding if they chose to do that.

Eric

Um, the last time it snowed here was 1988, unless you count the extremely minor flurry (if it was even that) that we received in Jan '07.

Um, the last time it snowed here was 1988, unless you count the extremely minor flurry (if it was even that) that we received in Jan '07.

Even in this past storm that hit about a week ago I think, They said it was in the 30s and there wasn't even flurries? I only say that because it was the same tempature where I live and it snowed for about 20 minutes.

^^Also you said X2's lift is quiet now, I think the reason for that is because when I went last month there was a train that was quiet going up the lift Music and all you said it was one train opreation so you may have got that train. But they hopefully fixed the audio on the train.

Does anybody know if they're still selling the season parking passes? I had an Xtreme pass this past year and am looking at downgrading to a regular pass with parking because the new discount on Flashpasses isn't quite as good as the past. I was looking on they're website and couldn't seem to find anywhere that mentioned it. Is it something that has to be done at the park?

Does anybody know if they're still selling the season parking passes? I had an Xtreme pass this past year and am looking at downgrading to a regular pass with parking because the new discount on Flashpasses isn't quite as good as the past. I was looking on they're website and couldn't seem to find anywhere that mentioned it. Is it something that has to be done at the park?

When I renewed online they offered the parking for $50

Also you said X2's lift is quiet now, I think the reason for that is because when I went last month there was a train that was quiet going up the lift Music and all you said it was one train opreation so you may have got that train. But they hopefully fixed the audio on the train.

I meant the anti rollbacks have been silenced. You can now hear the soundtrack clearly while going up the lift.

Even in this past storm that hit about a week ago I think, They said it was in the 30s and there wasn't even flurries? I only say that because it was the same tempature where I live and it snowed for about 20 minutes.

Yeah, even though the I-5 was closed a whopping 7 exits north of me (and 4 north of Magic Mountain Parkway), at Parker Rd., we didn't get a single hint of snow. I drove up to Parker Rd on the night of the closure and all I found was big rigs lining both sides of the I-5 for about 6 miles up to the closure. No hint of snow. I drove up the I-5 last Tuesday (12/23) to find snow, and I had to go clear to Gorman/Frazier Park to really find it.

It does get into the 30s and even 20s here overnight this time of year, but Valencia is at a way low elevation for snow. Gets into the 50s-60s during the days. During the storm, it got up into the upper 40s during the daylight hours. When there's cloud cover, at this elevation the heat gets trapped overnight so it's still too warm to snow.

Snow at Magic Mountain is extremely unlikely, but, as demonstrated by the recent freeway closure, sometimes you don't have to go very far north up the I-5 to find snow.

^The Sky Tower has pictures of snowfall at Magic Mountain from the 1980's. Its a shot of the park entrance covered in it.

I've been under the impression that the main reason the park doesn't "go all out" for the holidays is due to its mostly weekend-only operation this time of year (aside from the couple of weeks surrounding Christmas and New Years). If its only open weekends, it would seem like a lot of work to put up decorations that would just sit there on the days the park was closed.

Ok so who is going to the New Years Event tomorrow night and would be willing to post an update for us?

--Robb

BTW, here's a little sneak peak of what you can expect tomorrow night:

Six Flags Magic Mountain New Year's Eve Dry Run

Personally I think that looks GREAT!

--Robb

Ok so who is going to the New Years Event tomorrow night and would be willing to post an update for us?

--Robb

BTW, here's a little sneak peak of what you can expect tomorrow night:

More photos:

Jeff Turner

Personally I think that looks GREAT!

--Robb

^ and ^^ I was teasing. I'm sure they're counting down the last seconds of 2008 and the "2008" will change to "2009" at the appropriate time.

Though I won't be there this time, I'll join in and say that this looks to be a great event, and hopefully will become an annual tradtion. Just another way that SFMM is improving from where it was just a few short years ago.

Quite honestly, I'll bet there are more surprises in store for us as time goes on.

Eric