TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Gold Pass Guests getting in after the regular lines should never happen and yet it does all the time.

Yes...this is very true. And it depends on whether they're doing finger scans or just scanning pass barcodes. The latter saves 5-10 minutes of waiting. I actually take headcounts of people in the GP line, and, once I've found my place, use the following rule, assuming finger scanning:

Less than 35th in line: GO for getting in early.

35th to less than 45th: On the BUBBLE. May beat the GP.

45th in line or more: NO-GO.

On a busy day, the difference between being 15th and 45th is major.That's only a difference of 5-10 minutes at the gate, but expect 60 minutes or more of extra time waiting in standby queues.

Getting to the park early is crucial.

CRUCIAL!

Yay six flags. Something new. Let everyone in that had gold pass thirty minutes early to wait by a gate further in the park. No bottle necking trying to get early entry at the gate

Nice of them to do, though I wonder how many people bought gold passes during the flash sale?

Yay six flags. Something new. Let everyone in that had gold pass thirty minutes early to wait by a gate further in the park. No bottle necking trying to get early entry at the gate

Nice of them to do, though I wonder how many people bought gold passes during the flash sale?

I imagine a lot. It seems like every time we fly out from vegas this year (about once every month or 2, the gold early entry line grows each time. I was having to get there earlier each time to still get in with the crowd. It looked like there were probably 60 or so people this time. (Versus the 10 or so earlier this year). When the scanners were new, I was around number 20 in line, and ended up getting in after half the GP did...

I know other parks have done similar things. Knotts does it all the time, but to really enjoy that perk, this is a change that was needed. I'm hoping this will be permanent...

So yesterday was by far the best day I never had at the park. I arrived around 11:30 and they were just starting to fill the second parking lot (Which when I left the second lot was only 1/3 full) .

x2, (YES X2) batman, riddler (the major rides I hit) was a walk on in the evening. The park was so dead I even had battery on my cellphone left. Its usually dead because we play games in the long lines.

The food was good.

My Favorites:

Deep Fryed Oreos- (Wing Place infront of x2) Kind of expensive IMHO for $4.99 you get 6 oreos. They were really good and they freshly fired my batch.

Peppermint Apple - From the candy store in the front of the park. Very Delicious white chocolate with peppermint coating on a apple.

Hot Chocolate: - Tasted good with the peeps marshmello but could of used more chocolate syrup mix. They have a similar cup deal like with the sports bottle where you buy one and get a discount on refills and unlimited the day off. Wish it had some peppermint in it. Oh well.

Things I learned from regularly visiting the park:

Admission

Buy a season pass: For 10$ more then a days admission you get free parking if you get gold (But you usually have a group of more then 4 people) and that pays for itself. )You also get HH free if you do gold. If you don't get gold you still get a discount on food in the park. The Gold pass is also good for any Six Flags park but I would go to your home six flags park first since the discounts loaded on your card are based on where you buy the card and I believe they have to be activated at what ever park you choose online as your home park when you buy it.

Season Pass Processing-

The park has used biometric scanners to "speed up the lines" but it has done the complete opposite. You can still stand in line at the Season Processing Center (which now is a lot shorter) and get a traditional photo ID. The Photo ID is alot easer and faster then fighting with their readers. Tell them you want to opt out of the fingerprint scanner for privacy concerns. They will honor that request. It will save you a lot of frustration at the gate especially if you have younger kids.

When to go:

The day before the bring a friend free is usually significantly shorter lines then a regular Saturday. If you have to go on a Saturday (like if you work Sunday) this is usually your best bet. School Holidays have been getting significantly longer lines lately and I think it was a lot of the locals with passes who don't go out of town especially when the holiday is mid week.

Shopping

If you want kids want a hat and a cape its cheaper to go play one of the water racing games which guarantees a winner every time and pay for both to play for 5$ each the winner can pick the hat and the looser can get the cape. No harm no fowl. Also use this strategy if your kid wants a cape since its "Every Player is a Winner" they can still play a game and get a little more amusement for your buck.

If you are going to shop; which I warn you can be very expensive. I recommend you shop at Flags Gift Shop in the front of the park. Not only will they hold your stuff they are open after the park closes which allows you to not have to carry all your stuff you buy around. They also have a larger assortment so its easier if your a season pass member to spend the 10$ minimum to get your 10% off discount.

Also, there is a discount loaded on your card for a FREE bugs bunny pass holder with a 5$ purchase. This is very handy to keep your credit card / pass in.

Food:

The meal deal has been very handy for a regular like me. My favorite is the Tri Tip sandwiches from BJS or the tacos from food ECT (For 1.30 more they will let you have carne asada instead of chicken).

Cheap Snacks- Popcorn bucket came in handy for a cheap snack. The first one was $5.99 and refills are a buck. I spent maybe $15 bucks on popcorn and 5 kids snacked on it all day. It would of cost 3 to 5 times more $ giving them other snack foods in the park. There are two places one in the front of the park and one in the entrance of DC universe to fill.

Also their is a coupon on the season pass for one buy one get one 50% off Dole Whip. You get it at a restaurant next to Goliath called Food Ect.

If you can't visit often I recommend you pay the extra dollar or two to get what you want. The food at Food ECT and JB's BBQ are much better for only 2$ more on average.

Ordering wings anywhere but Wings Ect they just dip chicken strips in what ever sauce and charge you more money. It doesn't taste the same. You can ask for like the BBQ sauce on the side and they will for free and not charge you the extra buck.

Drinks

If you want Hot Chocolate and already have a sports bottle buy your Holiday in the Park mug at the beginning of the day for $6.99 you get free refills all day and the wristband is the same as the sports bottle wristband so you can get free refills for both instead of paying 5$ for the wristband then $7 for the cup latter you pay 7$.

Purchasing the sports bottle: If you like Frozen Lemonade you should purchase your sports bottle there because your first fill of frozen lemonaid would then be free vs a discounted rate latter in the day and you still get the wristband for free soft drink refills. Also if you don't want an increment of 3 bottles you can still get the 3 bottle price by ordering 4/5/6/ ect at the same time. Ask them to call a manager if they can't figure out how to do it on the cash register.

Hope this saves you a little aggravation & some money.

** This post is a work in progress please feel free to suggest more things**

-Andy

I imagine a lot. It seems like every time we fly out from vegas this year (about once every month or 2, the gold early entry line grows each time. I was having to get there earlier each time to still get in with the crowd. It looked like there were probably 60 or so people this time. (Versus the 10 or so earlier this year). When the scanners were new, I was around number 20 in line, and ended up getting in after half the GP did...

I know other parks have done similar things. Knotts does it all the time, but to really enjoy that perk, this is a change that was needed. I'm hoping this will be permanent...

By their nature finger print scanners are very slow to read correctly. What really adds to that time is when someone brings in a new season pass to be processed. Then that has to be processed at the scanner. All the information goes into the scanner. Finger prints need to be scanned. A card needs to be issued and signed. Times this by how many people have new printed out passes and you can see why the gold pass doesn't work with more then 35 people.

I know it's been said before, but Colossus has had parking lot lines underneath it since the beginning of time, yet that doesn't seem to be a problem for anybody. I personally don't notice them one bit while riding. I know they can go away, but also, I can totally understand that they are not a priority. Would you rather them pay for landscaping on a currently unpopular ride, or see the money go basically ANYWHERE else?

Was driving by last night in the holiday traffic off the 5, and the SIX FLAGS signage off the freeway (the one that's lit) had it's light die on the "F" and the "A" in FLAGS. SIGH!!!! So it read ... SIX L GS!

Was driving by last night in the holiday traffic off the 5, and the SIX FLAGS signage off the freeway (the one that's lit) had it's light die on the "F" and the "A" in FLAGS. SIGH!!!! So it read ... SIX L GS!

You know, it could have been a lot worse if just one (different) letter was out....just sayin.

Anyway, despite the rain, I had a great visit to the park yesterday. The rain kept the crowds away. Foll Thattle and Superman did not open due to the rain, but all other rides were pretty much walk ons. The park has done a real nice job with the holiday decorations. All should make it a point to visit to see this.

You know, it could have been a lot worse if just one (different) letter was out....just sayin.

Anyway, despite the rain, I had a great visit to the park yesterday. The rain kept the crowds away. Foll Thattle and Superman did not open due to the rain, but all other rides were pretty much walk ons. The park has done a real nice job with the holiday decorations. All should make it a point to visit to see this.

Personally, I liked the sign MUCH better when it just said MAGIC MOUNTAIN. And that was all it said.

I know it's been said before, but Colossus has had parking lot lines underneath it since the beginning of time, yet that doesn't seem to be a problem for anybody. I personally don't notice them one bit while riding. I know they can go away, but also, I can totally understand that they are not a priority. Would you rather them pay for landscaping on a currently unpopular ride, or see the money go basically ANYWHERE else?

It probably has to do with the fact that the parking lot lines sort of blend in with the giant white wooden structure of Colossus.

Wow, that is a beautiful picture.

Does anyone know if there is track going up in places other than the lift? I haven't seen many pictures of the rest of the ride, so if anyone goes there it would be nice to know.

To put it simply, the track is being installed in phases. So no, no track besides the brake run-first lift/second lift. Up next is that drop.

I wonder if Scream will get a new name as well, I hope so cause the name 'Scream' is just so boring and unimaginative

I think I saw over on California Coasters that SFMM President mentioned to him that Scream WAS going to get a name change as well.