TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just took a new survey and it looks like some flat rides and a water ride for next year?

Take it here: http://feedback.sixflags.com/AdvisoryPanel/startsurvey.aspx?s=MC2013&

Has anyone brought up the fact yet that the one "African" name they suggest, "Shango", is Swahili for "chlamydia"?

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg&biw=1600&bih=743&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sl=sw&tl=en&text=shango&client=ob

AAAAAAAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

X2s reliability has greatly improved since its transformation. I'd say its just as reliable as the other rides in the park.

X2 is a love it or hate it type of ride. Personally, its my favorite ride in the park and one of the few rides in the park that IMO is worth a re ride.

For the best ride, ride it first thing in the morning before it has a chance to warm up. Sit towards the front of the train with the heavier person sitting on the outside seat. Make sure the restraints are very snug on your shoulders and chest.

Bold part most important. Rides on the outside, especially with no one on the inside are extremely painful. It's my favorite ride in the world when it's not trying to kill me, which it has done more often than not lately.

The first time I went to Lex Luthor, it was broken down. So, I decided to wait a few, then come back. Came back, it had just broken down a few minutes before. So, again, wait a few then come back. This time, I waited until the ride looked like it was operating, which it was... until I got there. Right when I got there, the operator told us that it had just broken down, this time not even a minute before I got there. Am I cursed?

Today? It's supposed to be down until the end of the month. Are you sure it wasn't just testing? Even that I'd be surprised to see if it was supposed to be down until the end of the month..

No, it was during last summer.

Had a great day at the park on Wednesday! Rode everything except Riddlers & Scream (I usually skip these two). X2 is definitely a love it for me Staff were very friendly and the park seemed really clean! Full Throttle was a blast too, wish it was longer, but still great!

Thursday, got there when the park opened. Was not busy at all.

The new coaster is awesome, really enjoyed it. Had about a 15 minute wait. They did not overdo the restraints on this like so many others.

Goliath, no line, Little or no wait on most rides. Didn't go on X2 or Tatsu. First time on Green Hornet and that ride was painful. People who have long upper bodies like me get the wrath of the pain on these restraints. These restraints just dig into my shoulders and my head gets banged on in the padding.

Superman was a surprised as I was not expecting to go backwards. Great thrill.

No flash pass was necessary. I did notice some people using them, but they weren't saving too much time.

I think the threat of rain may have kept some away, but after the muggy/humid morning the heat broke and it was pretty comfortable from 3pm on.

I would like to see some 4-D type attractions to add variety. But know that's not going to happen. We attended the magic show. It was filled with young families, apparently many were not tall enough for the coasters. Some of the dancing was not G-Rated and more suitable for a strip joint.

Thursday, got there when the park opened. Was not busy at all.

The new coaster is awesome, really enjoyed it. Had about a 15 minute wait. They did not overdo the restraints on this like so many others.

Goliath, no line, Little or no wait on most rides. Didn't go on X2 or Tatsu. First time on Green Hornet and that ride was painful. People who have long upper bodies like me get the wrath of the pain on these restraints. These restraints just dig into my shoulders and my head gets banged on in the padding.

Nice review. Glad you had a fun time. It's odd, it seems like this summer hasn't been as busy as maybe the park was hoping?

And from this day, Green Lantern will be known as Green Hornet. Both movies sucked but the ride sucks even more.

I'm going to Hurricane Harbor on Monday, and noticed on the website that with a gold pass there is early entry just like into Magic Mountain. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how early? Is it the same as Magic Mountain with about 15 minutes?

I'm going to Hurricane Harbor on Monday, and noticed on the website that with a gold pass there is early entry just like into Magic Mountain. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how early? Is it the same as Magic Mountain with about 15 minutes?

I'm pretty sure it's 15 minutes also. I'll be there too with some friends!

Hi all!

I am a UK fanatic about to visit the park early august. I remember reading someone post on here in the previous pages that you should wait to see if it is worth buying flash pass when you get there. Would the advice be the same for this time of year or is it pretty much definitely worth buying one early august?

Also, with flash pass can you select rides to wait for whenever you want? For example, if i select to wait in line for tatsu can I select to wait in line for goliath straight after so i only have 10mins to walk from tatsu to goliath and then get straight on goliath? Or do I have to wait to select the next ride to wait in on the device?

And one more question, I want to get in the park as soon as possible to get in x2 with little wait. How long do you think i need to get to park before opening time to be the first in?

Sorry for so many questions - I did look over the last 15 or so pages but didn't find answers to these there. Your answers are much appreciated!

Thanks

Hi all!

I am a UK fanatic about to visit the park early august. I remember reading someone post on here in the previous pages that you should wait to see if it is worth buying flash pass when you get there. Would the advice be the same for this time of year or is it pretty much definitely worth buying one early august?

Also, with flash pass can you select rides to wait for whenever you want? For example, if i select to wait in line for tatsu can I select to wait in line for goliath straight after so i only have 10mins to walk from tatsu to goliath and then get straight on goliath? Or do I have to wait to select the next ride to wait in on the device?

And one more question, I want to get in the park as soon as possible to get in x2 with little wait. How long do you think i need to get to park before opening time to be the first in?

Sorry for so many questions - I did look over the last 15 or so pages but didn't find answers to these there. Your answers are much appreciated!

Thanks

If youre going on a Saturday (or event day), or you wont be showing up until late in the day, then buy your flash pass ahead of time (the day before is plenty). Otherwise there's little chance of them selling out.

You can only reserve one ride at a time, but the moment you get your pass scanned in the station, it resets and you can select another ride. If you have a gold or platinum pass your next ride will usually be ready before you even get off the current one.

To get in fast it's usually advisable to be at the entrance about an hour before gates open. If you have a Gold Season Pass or a Discover card, you can get in before everyone else (and then you dont need to get there that early). The first ride you hit should actually be YOLOCoaster, as it's line will probably be long all day. X2's almost always dwindles to nothing by about 4pm (see previous post), so you can wait until then to hit that one.

Thank you both for your responses - great help!

At the moment we plan to head straight to YOLOcoaster then the other rides in the following order:

Tatsu, Goliath, Lex Luther, Scream, X2 when the time is right and then from there just fit in any ride really... Does that sound good in terms of order? Also are there any rides that you think I should definitely include that I haven't named? Ninja maybe?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's 15 minutes also. I'll be there too with some friends!

Thanks! That 15 minutes should help get a head start in Hurricane Harbor as well. I plan on getting through it in a couple hours so I can head into Magic Mountain to finally ride Full Throttle and Superman, and hopefully even more if I have enough time. Maybe we'll run into each other there!

At the moment we plan to head straight to YOLOcoaster then the other rides in the following order:

Tatsu, Goliath, Lex Luther, Scream, X2 when the time is right and then from there just fit in any ride really... Does that sound good in terms of order? Also are there any rides that you think I should definitely include that I haven't named? Ninja maybe?

Thanks

I'd suggest going to YOLOcoaster first (As you said) then going through the park in a counter-clockwise fashion. The back of the park is really dead the first hour or so of any day -- Even a Saturday. Whenever I go I always do YOLOcoaster, Goliath, Lex Luthor, Colossus & Scream (If I feel like riding them) Batman, Green Lantern, (Usually skip this one), Riddlers Revenge, Jet Stream (Again, if I feel like it), Apocolypse (If theres 1 Train and the lines more than an hour, Not worth it).

Usually by this point I head back to Johnny Rockets or something and eat, then walk up the Hill of Death by the YOLOcoaster Tunnel Entrance and go to Superman, afterwards I head to Ninja (Again, If im feeling it). Tatsu would probably be next but usually the line is crazy (Tatsu's Line is about the same all day, sadly) so that one is just when you feel like waiting. No matter WHERE you are in the park id go to X2 around 3:30-4ish. By then its pretty dead and you should only wait at max 30 minutes. It stays pretty dead until it starts getting dark.

Obviously this fluctuates each time I go, but its a good way to go as you ride a lot of the rides in the back without a wait because nobody is usually back there until 11:30ish.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Ninja's line has been a bit out of control lately (compared to what it usually is historically), 45 minute + waits and lines into the upper switchbacks have been observed, so if you want to ride it on a busy day and you dont have a flash pass you may want to work it in sooner than later. It's not the most intense coaster in the world obviously, but I think it's the best of the suspended coasters, and it's a terrain hugger which is always good, so I try to ride it at least once per trip. (Same goes for Gold Rusher, but no long line worries there, ever)