TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Not public fear, it's SF policy. The public is quite aware that you can go upside down with just a lap bar; Montezooma's Revenge at KBF serves as an example.

That being said, I got to ride it before the OTSR's came in, and yeah, its a wildly different ride now. We don't talk about it much anymore because all hope is lost, but many people hope one day for at least a retrofit with more comfortable harnesses.

Yeah we can always hope .

^It's also an insurance thing too.

The best thing that could happen to Revolution is to replace the trains with the new Schwarzkopf trains, this would provide a better ride and because the trains would have the new type of OTSRs not only would the ride be way more comfortable but it would also comply with the insurance company requirements. What would actually happen in all reality in a best case scenario is the current rock hard, incorrect size, look-like-they-don't-belong OTSRs would at least be replaced with new soft, custom fitted OTSRs that actually are the CORRECT SIZE to fit the ride and the riders and not something that looks like it was just thrown on at the last minute. That is the biggest problem with them, they are not the correct size/type or even mounted at the correct height. When I sit in the train the bottom of the OTSR pretty much is at my throat with a lot of extra room above me, obviously when you compare this to other rides that have proper restraints you really see how wrong these are.

I don't think they will ever get new trains, they really don't need to as they are in very good shape and they won't spend the money, sadly, to replace all the trains just because the restraints are wrong. But, what they could do, less expensively, is at least replace these OTSRs with the correct size and type so they at least fit like they are supposed to, I think that would help tremendously.

^It's also an insurance thing too.

The best thing that could happen to Revolution is to replace the trains with the new Schwarzkopf trains, this would provide a better ride and because the trains would have the new type of OTSRs not only would the ride be way more comfortable but it would also comply with the insurance company requirements. What would actually happen in all reality in a best case scenario is the current rock hard, incorrect size, look-like-they-don't-belong OTSRs would at least be replaced with new soft, custom fitted OTSRs that actually are the CORRECT SIZE to fit the ride and the riders and not something that looks like it was just thrown on at the last minute. That is the biggest problem with them, they are not the correct size/type or even mounted at the correct height. When I sit in the train the bottom of the OTSR pretty much is at my throat with a lot of extra room above me, obviously when you compare this to other rides that have proper restraints you really see how wrong these are.

I don't think they will ever get new trains, they really don't need to as they are in very good shape and they won't spend the money, sadly, to replace all the trains just because the restraints are wrong. But, what they could do, less expensively, is at least replace these OTSRs with the correct size and type so they at least fit like they are supposed to, I think that would help tremendously.

Yeah I understand now . I really hope they do what you said about the trains or replacing the OTSRs with new correctly fitting ones. Now that I think about it they do look really awkward haha.

^Not public fear, it's SF policy. The public is quite aware that you can go upside down with just a lap bar; Montezooma's Revenge at KBF serves as an example.

Then why did SFOT and SFOG get to keep their lap bars on their Schwarzkopf loopers? Does anyone know what made Revo get the special treatment, while its cousins at other SF parks did not?

Then why did SFOT and SFOG get to keep their lap bars on their Schwarzkopf loopers? Does anyone know what made Revo get the special treatment, while its cousins at other SF parks did not?

My guess it all comes down to the state these rides are in and not necessarily what Six Flags requires.

^ Well Six Flags decided to add them to the ride after all the reports of injuries began to pile up, similarly to what's happening with Ghostrider at Knotts currently. Instead of sourcing out the modifications to a company like Intamin, they took the cheap route and did it "in house" and really screwed up the ride experience completely. Unfortunately in the state of California, once you modify a ride from it's original state, you cannot reverse it without a lot of hassle and red tape. According to a few "people in the know", the park is currently trying to switch to a softer restraint for Revolution, and are not having an easy time getting it approved.

Yes its a California thing. If this ride was in one of those states it would most likely never have gotten the OTSRs.

It sucks that this state has to be so anal about stuff like this when this kind of thing would be perfectly fine in another state, thank you very much you sue happy greedy Californians, and your lawyers for that matter too!

^Montezooma's Revenge is in the same state, and only has lap bars.

I imagine that the state offers some sort of tax break to parks that retrofit their existing rides to comply with a new law like one mandating OTSRs on looping roller coasters. So Six Flags, close to bankruptcy, would easily choose to add them to Revolution, while Cedar Fair parks chose to forfeit whatever the state may have done for them in order to keep lap bars on the shuttles. And, of course, every looping coaster in California since has to have OTSRs to comply.

At least, that's how I always understood it, and how it made sense to me.

^I'd imagine it's not NEARLY that complicated legally. "Section 1298754 © any old roller coaster retrofitted with OTSR's can get a 2% tax break." Yeah right. I'd also imagine that somebody is going to step in and say 'Take your speculation to the rumor thread' so this will be my last post on the subject; but as it was explained at WCB it is Six Flags policy and not a subject they want to elaborate on.

That's not very complicated at all. When new laws are passed, older subjects tend to be grandfathered in, or given an incentive to change. Most anything you'll find in the legal system is 10x more complicated than that. And it can most certainly be that simple - for years, the government was giving $500 to anyone driving a hybrid car. It's not unfeasible.

And I'm pretty sure every other Schwartzkopf in the SF chain has lap bars, so that can't really be policy.

^Montezooma's Revenge is in the same state, and only has lap bars. Six Flags say's its their policy.

Montezooma's Revenge has never been retrofitted with OTSR. If it ever were to be, it would be tough to remove them in the state of California. It's not a Six Flags policy, it was a Six Flags decision to add them to Revolution. As has been mentioned already, several other Schwartzkopf loopers in the Six Flags chain operate with lap bar set ups, as does the recently opened Dare Devil Dive at SFOG.

Edited by John Knotts

According to a few "people in the know", the park is currently trying to switch to a softer restraint for Revolution, and are not having an easy time getting it approved.

People in the know? They showed everyone at WCB..

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=23&linkid=10107&pageno=5

Haha, I remember that. It was an opening joke to head off the yearly questions about revolution. Those are actually Green Lantern restraints, not for Revolution. Though soft padded OTSR like those would be nice!

I'm not sure how, but I got on the mailing list for Six Flags. They asked me to do a ride naming survery, and this is what the e-mail read.

Dear Andrew,

Greetings from Six Flags! We are conducting a survey to help us choose the names for our new rides next year and we would very much like your feedback.

Take the Six Flags Ride Naming Survey

The survey is completely anonymous. There is no cost to participate, and nothing you tell us can or will be used to try to sell you anything. We will only use your responses to help us name next year's rides! In appreciation for completing the survey you will automatically be entered into an exclusive drawing to win tickets to the Six Flags park of your choice.

Thank you for your participation!

Sincerely,

Mark Kupferman

Vice President, Guest Feedback Programs

Six Flags Entertainment Corp.

I was supposed to "Imagine that Six Flags Magic Mountain was opening a new area in 2012, and there will be 7 new rides. But you have a flight to get to later, and you can't ride them all. And you know all the names!" or something along the lines of that (and mind you, they said at the end of the survey that they aren't opening a new land, it might be a coaster, waterslide, or show). The survey asked general things about what names sounded "most terrifying," "most family-friendly," "most like it came from a comic book," etc. I should have written the names down, my fault on that part, although I do remember some: Cataclysm, Drop of Doom, SkyScreamer, LunasSEE, and Vertical Velocity. They also asked stuff about their Facebook page and their newsletter, and said that whoever took the survey was entered to win tickets to the park (in the survey they just said "a prize" when I had to enter my e-mail address).

Did anyone else get this in their e-mail? And could they put down the other ride names if they have them?

By the way, spotted and error.

64643041_SixFlagssurveylol.jpg.faed3417f1402a77bd0f335d38b944ec.jpg

^ So did Greezed Lightning at Great America. And didn't Zonga at Discovery Kingdom have them too?

Zonga at SFDK had lapbars and OTSRs, that severely restricted arm movement. If I remember right, when they put that ride in they had to put those on due to clearance issues since part of the ride was reprofiled and to get around those issues the "answer" was OTSRs that severely restricted you from sticking your arms up or outside the cars. The explanation of this can be read here...Zonga info, RCDB

If you look closely you can see the OTSRs here...

Tidal Wave only ever had lap bars, like it was intended to, I always really liked that ride.

As for this Revolution rumor, if its true that's good, at least they are trying to improve the restraints. If its not true then that is a shame. I just wish something would happen with it already...how long has this been going on now? Seems like forever! Once they finally get this settled, maybe, hopefully someday, they would do something about the trims and maybe the reason its trimmed so heavily is because of the titanium retraints on there now.

^Montezooma's Revenge is in the same state, and only has lap bars. Six Flags say's its their policy.

He is correct. State law mandates that all rides be operated in accordance with their SOP. As it currently stands, Revolution's SOP includes OTSR's. To have that changed, the manufacturer would have to approve the modification/update all the technical documents, go through the testing process, have the state inspect it, etc. It definitely would not be easy, but *IS* still possible.

I'm not sure how, but I got on the mailing list for Six Flags. They asked me to do a ride naming survery, and this is what the e-mail read.

Dear Andrew,

Greetings from Six Flags! We are conducting a survey to help us choose the names for our new rides next year and we would very much like your feedback.

Take the Six Flags Ride Naming Survey

The survey is completely anonymous. There is no cost to participate, and nothing you tell us can or will be used to try to sell you anything. We will only use your responses to help us name next year's rides! In appreciation for completing the survey you will automatically be entered into an exclusive drawing to win tickets to the Six Flags park of your choice.

Thank you for your participation!

Sincerely,

Mark Kupferman

Vice President, Guest Feedback Programs

Six Flags Entertainment Corp.

I was supposed to "Imagine that Six Flags Magic Mountain was opening a new area in 2012, and there will be 7 new rides. But you have a flight to get to later, and you can't ride them all. And you know all the names!" or something along the lines of that (and mind you, they said at the end of the survey that they aren't opening a new land, it might be a coaster, waterslide, or show). The survey asked general things about what names sounded "most terrifying," "most family-friendly," "most like it came from a comic book," etc. I should have written the names down, my fault on that part, although I do remember some: Cataclysm, Drop of Doom, SkyScreamer, LunasSEE, and Vertical Velocity. They also asked stuff about their Facebook page and their newsletter, and said that whoever took the survey was entered to win tickets to the park (in the survey they just said "a prize" when I had to enter my e-mail address).

Did anyone else get this in their e-mail? And could they put down the other ride names if they have them?

By the way, spotted and error.

I also got the email. Let's see.... "Which attraction name sounds like it would be most appealing..."

- SkyScreamer

- Drop of Doom

- Vertical Velocity

- LunasSEE

- Mastermind Bender

- Cataclysm

- Stratos Fear

Hmmm....

Oh, and that "asses" typo was fixed, but that wasn't the only typo...

"Printable coupon for $5 off your next meal a thte park"