The 2015-16 NBA Season

SPOILER ALERT: The Spurs/Cavs will be in the finals....
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: The 2012-13 NBA Season

Postby Jew » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:00 am

The east is so terrible, they'd have to try real hard to tank and not make the playoffs.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby cmullin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:33 pm

I think the NBA should seriously consider doing the 16 or 8 best records for the playoffs, East and West combined because the East has been pathetic the last few years. 2 teams with .600 and above records, and one hovering around .500 is sad. Meanwhile, the West has 11 teams .500 and over. The East doesn't deserve just as many spots as the West.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby DanM64 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:03 pm

^That's not a bad idea, but really I think the NBA should just downsize in general. Eliminate a few teams, adjust the conferences accordingly.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby cmullin » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Downsizing the NBA would be almost impossible. The fact that David Stern wouldn't even let CP3 got to the Lakers would cause a huge mess if a good franchise goes for a superstar on one of the cut teams, and the NBA would also lose revenue, and another lockout would be bad.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby yankeeman311 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Neither will ever happen. Playoff games make extra revenue for teams and if you let the west get more spots, it creates a competitive balance problem (ironic I know). The real problem with the NBA is the soft cap. The soft cap allows it to be a league run by superstars and creates a few stacked teams but several horrible teams thus resulting in a lack of parity and a focus on dynasties.
The end of an era and the rise of a new one:
#1 overall coaster from 2008-2013: El Toro
#1 overall coaster from 2013-present: Skyrush

Postby DanM64 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:04 pm

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the league when Stern finally retires next year. I love the NBA, but some things need to change. If nothing else, I bet the WNBA finally gets shut down, do the NBA can quit pouring money into it.

My Bulls are tanking without even trying to! Couldn't even beat the Orlando Magic. Let that sink in!

Postby Jew » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:40 am

Adam Silver has been Stern's #2 for almost 10 years…I doubt he would reverse course and do something that would be sure to damage the NBA's brand.

Postby DanM64 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:15 pm

^True, but how much would that really damage the NBA in the long term? Some people would be mad for awhile, but they'd get over it. There's definitely a good business case to shut it down. Maybe it's more popular by you? In Chicago the Sky struggle to bring in even 5,000 fans a night.

Postby Jew » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:05 am

^That's about the average for the WNBA. I think the Sparks are around 7,000 here in L.A. The NBA still subsidizes the league, but many of the teams are independently owned now. I definitely think the remaining teams that are owned by their NBA counterparts will sell them off, but I don't think it will fold.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 am

Ed Farmer wrote:Anfernee Hardaway, Grant Hill, Derrick Rose.

Realistically, the Bulls weren't going to seriously contend for a championship this year, and I don't think he was the piece to build around anyway, but he would have been 1a to whoever 1 would have been. Now, this version of the Bulls (2010-present/Tom Thibodeau era) is set to get parted and scrapped to facilitate a rebuild- with no guarantee that Rose will ever be the same player he was upon his return.

The maddening thing about this is that one of their greatest strengths (Tom Thibodeau) will hinder that process. His teams are unbelievably well-coached and will probably be good for a 4-6 seed in the playoffs, which effectively kills any chance of securing a higher pick in the draft. Not good enough to win, not bad enough for the consolation prize. Probably the worst place an NBA team can find itself in.

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd just quote my own post from last time around. Had the radio on as background noise when this story broke. I thought I was hearing things, even after it was repeated for the third time. Can't imagine what must be going through Rose' mind right now.

My initial reaction was that I wish there would be a merciful end to this, and both sides could just move on- but there are 2 more seasons at $20M per after this one. This more than likely cements the end of Thibodeau's time in Chicago.
We Are Come To Outlive Our Brains

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random