Six Flags to operate Frontier City again

P. 4 - New Kids Area for 2019 Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: Six Flags to operate Frontier City again

Postby LegendLover » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:56 pm

Dang! I didn't realize that Frontier City owned all that land! No wonder Six Flags bought the operating rights to this park. I do see them expanding the park. Like I said before, Jim Reid-Anderson loves the charm of this park, and I do too. It is a small park with smaller coasters, but I spent a whole day from 10am to 9pm at the park, and I was entertained the whole time. An Eclipse would be a smart choice! It's compact, fairly cheap, and could be marketed as a world's first. Plus, being 100ft, it would be one of the tallest rides in the park. However, none of the specifications of the Eclipse fit that 165' stat. Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if they removed Soaring Eagle. It didn't feel like it FIT the park. I'm so excited to see what becomes of the 2020 project. I fell in love with Frontier City when I first visited in 2014, and now I've gone every year since. It is a wonderful park.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mrjoelabs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:42 pm

Visited this park for this first time during the 4th holidays. Nice small park, but man the coasters suck. Wife and I loved the water area the most as there were no waits for slides.

But I do have one big question for any locals. Does anyone know the history of the abandoned hotel complex just north of the parking lot? Was this a Frontier City hotel at some point? When did it close..etc. It looks like on the map someone posted that it may be owned by frontier city? Thanks

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Developing all that land will not be easy due to both zoning and the neighboring communities. They may be able to shift some of that land into parking, then develop on their current parking lot. Really though, as we've seen with plenty of parks, it's all in how you use your existing land vs. having a ton of area to spread out.

The abandoned hotel North of the park had no direct relation to FC that I know of. If FC has acquired that land, it is a recent development. They bought out half the old RV park a few years ago. Their parking area used to be tiny, but they rarely filled it up. These days they fill both the asphalt and the grass area up regularly.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mrjoelabs » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:36 pm

What was the name of the hotel? When did it close

Postby Kemotblue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:55 pm

Frontier City does indeed own that old hotel to the north and like Shave The Whales said it was fairly recent 2005 I believe just after they purchased half of the campground. You can see on Google Maps Street View it goes as far back as 2007 shows the Fright Fest Hurst parked under the canopy. They currently use the hotel for storage. This past year I've seen work being done to it like paint and the old sign up front was torn down. Fright Fest Vehicles are parked in the parking lot of the hotel. I can't recall the hotel brand. I say it was a Best Western at one time. Not entirely sure of the hotel. I think it was built in the early 80's.

Postby Kemotblue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:10 pm

Also someone reported to me that a couple of weeks ago they saw the doors open on The Nightmare Mine Building and Six Flags Corporate people were in and out of the building with clip boards. They were walking around the building and along the train tracks. maybe they will be getting two new attractions. A Skyscreamer and an indoor coaster. A off the shelf Maur SC2000 like Spider at Lagoon would easily fit inside the buildings footprint. They could do like they did with Timbertown Redo a whole area of the park with upgrades. They spent neary 12 million dollars on Timbertown. It was a complete remodel of the area from ground up in some parts and the whole kids area now looks amazing. Every single area of the kids area was touched even the restrooms got remodeled So if they redo that section of the park with it's up charge rides and winged warrior not to many attractions. They add a Sky Screamer and a indoor coaster back in the building that they only use once a year for a seasonal attraction. That would improve that area of the park. It would help balance out the coasters for the park. It would place 3 coasters on one end of the park and 3 coasters in the back area of the park. I know their investment on Timbertown has paid off I talked to one of the managers at the park they said they have had a 75 percent increase in traffic this year. I asked them I noticed the crowds during the week are larger there is some days an hour before closing have to wait 2 cycles on Wildcat and Silver Bullet because the coasters have a line. Last season they were re rides till you were tired of riding the coaster. I haven't had that experience this year Since Six Flags took over operations of the park. There have been more guests. More guests equal more rides and attractions.

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:20 am

^Interesting info. I had forgot the hotel was included in the purchase, I'm sure you told us about it before. It's very interesting that they are fixing the building up, considering the recent survey about possibly adding hotels on to SF parks. It would be an easy market test for the concept since they already have the building and infrastructure.

The attendance bump has been so noticeable. I'm psyched that they are starting to see the potential here.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I could see them just entirely re-doing the area around Nightmare Mine. That's a ton of land that is only really half used. With the right planning, they could fit a new coaster and something else there, especially if they also chip some land away from the maintenance area. They should move the entire maintenance area across the road to the boneyard.

Postby LegendLover » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:53 pm

If they spent twelve million dollars on Timbertown, then an indoor spinning coaster and a Sky Screamer could definitely be part of the budget. I'm unaware of the cost of Sky Screamers, but an off the shelf spinning coaster from Maurer is about six million dollars, or at least Phoenix at Adventureland was.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:43 pm

So has anything happened in this park for 2020 yet? Just curious
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:15 am

The park has been oddly quiet. Apparently they are missing some people in their marketing department since the transition. Not much going on with their social media these days.

I am still holding out hope for something major in 2020. It might end up being for White Water though... At this point the park has shown its potential, and everyone involved knows that the rides are seriously lacking. People aren't going to return next year if there isn't anything new. The park really needs a good ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!