Phil & Michael's 2018 Adventures

Some very, very sad news to report. :-(
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Phil & Michael's 2018 Adventures

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:09 pm

After leaving St. Louis, we headed for....BRANSON!!!
DSC06156 (Copy).JPG
I had been told by a co-worker that the Titanic Experience in Pigeon Forge was pretty cool, so we decided to add tickets to our Welk Resort package.

It was interesting, if not a bit of museum overload for me. They give you cards at the beginning with a name of someone on the Titanic and then you see if you live or die at the end.

Somewhat morbid, but I did end up "surviving" the sinking of the ship - Michael didn't fare so well, however. :-(

Oh wait - he did...that's him down there on the sidewalk!

Hi Michael!
DSC06158 (Copy).JPG
We went downtown to see a Patsy Cline tribute, which was a hoot. Before the show, we were looking for a place where Michael could get an ice cream.

This place certainly fits the bill!
DSC06159 (Copy).JPG
Someone is a happy camper with his hot fudge sundae.

I got a chili cheese dog and it was really good!
DSC06160 (Copy).JPG
When we went to the theater, it was somewhat odd, although very reminiscent of how theaters used to be with the old soda jerk and concession stand...neat!
DSC06161 (Copy).JPG
No pics of Patsy, but here is the theatre where she performed.

I know that this may sound petty, but I was really impressed that you didn't have to pay for parking in downtown Branson - how cool is that???
DSC06162 (Copy).JPG
Here is downtown Branson's version of the Bellagio fountains in Vegas. Every hour they do a cool fountain show with lights, fire (came from those tubes) and music.

We heard some Joe Walsh, Beatles and another cool band (Fleetwood Mac perhaps?)...a great selection of songs with the fountains dancing along in synchronicity!
DSC06164 (Copy).JPG
We decided to hit a Mexican restaurant at Branson Landing and order a couple of drinks and appetizers to watch the show.

It was so relaxing and fun...and given that it was a weekday in May, crowds were non-existent!

The queso, salsa and guac were outstanding, but my watermelon margarita was a bit too tart for my taste. Michael's mango one on the left tasted much better, although nowhere near as tasty as the ones we drank in Aruba.
DSC06165 (Copy).JPG
A pic of the view from our room at the Welk Resort - very nice!

SDC coming soon!!!

Postby bert425 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:45 pm

Philrad71 wrote:We heard some Joe Walsh, Beatles and another cool band (Fleetwood Mac perhaps?)...a great selection of songs with the fountains dancing along in synchronicity!

you sure the third band wasn't these guys? :p

great pics, that Titanic stop is all kinds of F-ed up, which means we'd LOVE it.

how were the crowds, age wise?

We've never done Branson only because we didn't want to be the youngest people there (oh, we don't mind being in that situation . .after all, we did go to Weeki Wachie to see the mermaids). . but we don't want the whole trip to be like that (shades of the Holland America Cruise my Mom took us on).

and I've discovered with Margaritas that are too tart? after a couple of sips, one doesn't really care.

can't wait to see SCD pics.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:21 pm

^ LOL - I would have loved it if they would have played Synchronicity II as that's one of my favorite Police tunes! :b

To give you an idea about how Branson and SDC were in terms of age, I made mention to Michael at SDC that it seemed weird that I was the outcast in terms of age at a theme park!

I would say that the majority of people at the park and in Branson were either senior citizens or young kids (school groups mostly). And there were lots of seniors working at SDC as well that were all very polite and pleasant - personally I would rather parks hire seniors than young school kids based on their work ethic alone.

And yes, I was definitely the youngest one at the Patsy Cline and Million Dollar Quartet shows by a large margin - lol!

Certainly don't let that be a factor in visiting though...I really had a great time and would highly recommend the area to anyone. Beautiful country, clean, and with very friendly people everywhere without quite as much Jesus stuff thrown in my face like in Pigeon Forge.

I came away very impressed and hope to go back again someday.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Philrad71 wrote:
To give you an idea about how Branson and SDC were in terms of age, I made mention to Michael at SDC that it seemed weird that I was the outcast in terms of age at a theme park!

I would say that the majority of people at the park and in Branson were either senior citizens or young kids (school groups mostly).

You went on a weekday before school was out, so that factors into it. On weekends it's a lot of families, and during summer you see a better mix of people. SDC truly is for everyone. It's weird when we travel and see almost nothing but groups of teenagers--SDC doesn't really have that demographic.

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:57 am

^ I have to admit (albeit a bit greedily) that I loved going then because just about everything was a walk-on (TT & PK were by far the longest waits). I literally rode Wildfire & Outlaw Run with like 3-4 other people on the trains!

Although it is interesting that they didn't allow re-rides if no one else was in the station. They make you go back through the line if you want to ride again - so I ended up getting tons of steps on my pedometer during those two days. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Great report! I always wondered if the Titanic museum was any good when I passed the one in Pigeon Forge.

Usually Outlaw Run and WildFire were one train waits for the front or back so I had to walk around anyway. Though on days when you can get rerides that easily, it really is a first world problem to complain. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Great Adventure Opening Day & Hersheypark Opening Day

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:08 pm

^ Oh I certainly agree about the re-rides...not a problem walking around to ride again as I try to rack up pedometer steps when I can because I get rewards for the more steps that I get.

On a sadder note, I am going to have to put a delay on this report. Michael was admitted to a hospital in Erie yesterday with a serious blood infection and a CT scan detected "something" on his liver. More tests tomorrow and we are hoping that it's an abscess (and not a cancerous tumor) that can be cleared up with doses of heavy antibiotics.

I will still continue to use this site as my "escape from reality" and will still post here and there, but please try to keep us in your thoughts as we battle yet another setback in poor Michael's health. :cry:

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Oh man, that really sucks. Definitely will be thinking of you guys.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:15 pm

oh shit. Phil, we're all here for you and Michael. Keep us up to date, when you can.

<hugs> Bill & David
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Sorry to hear that and I'll be hoping for the best with Michael.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Great Adventure Opening Day & Hersheypark Opening Day

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!