2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

^Glad to see more of the mid-western states legalizing gay marriage. Now they just have to work more on some of those stubborn conservative states in the South!

I agree! I am proud to live in the ONLY state (Maryland) below the mason dixie line that has legalized gay marriage. Not only that but it was legalized by leaving it up to the public to vote on it and not the local government. I think it would become legal in more states if it was handled that way.

Some states I think its going to be a heck of a ride to get it legalized - primarily Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Kentucky. The places where religion is HUGE.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted in this thread in a long, LONG time, but I figured, "why not?"

Last month, I went to Atlanta Pride for the first time, and holy hell was it fun. I'm pretty sure my friend and I were the only outwardly open asexuals that I saw at the entire event, but we basically stayed around the loop of shops and the street that the parade was on, so I definitely didn't see everyone. I scored a bunch of cool free stuff, gave a Mini Cooper picnic blanket to this super-sweet lady and her partner (who wanted the blanket even more than she did!), and caught almost all of the parade. Longest parade I've ever seen in my life, but it was worth it. Not even gonna lie, watching the PFLAG group pass by with their posters and signs and whatnot made me tear up a little bit.

Funnily enough, my favorite moment of the entire day was when the guy running one of the more bear-oriented shops told me that I'm a "cute cub." It helped validate my extra baggage, that's for sure.

(By the way, if you were also at Atlanta Pride on Sunday and saw a slightly larger gentleman sporting a purple afro and a purple shirt that read "Don't Sweat My Life", that was me!)

I can't wait for next year's Pride!

Funnily enough, my favorite moment of the entire day was when the guy running one of the more bear-oriented shops told me that I'm a "cute cub." It helped validate my extra baggage, that's for sure.

Awwwww. Nice.

So yesterday we had a memorial service for our dear friend Kevin Lancaster who passed away. Afterwards we had a auction and benefit drag show at SoCo. (The local gay bar) It was odd his parents were there and they went to the drag show. They knew their son was gay and they didn't care. That said it was their FIRST drag show. It was . . . Uncomfortable. Not sure if a crude and very sexually driven drag show was a good way for his parents to mourn. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
So yesterday we had a memorial service for our dear friend Kevin Lancaster who passed away. Afterwards we had a auction and benefit drag show at SoCo. (The local gay bar) It was odd his parents were there and they went to the drag show. They knew their son was gay and they didn't care. That said it was their FIRST drag show. It was . . . Uncomfortable. Not sure if a crude and very sexually driven drag show was a good way for his parents to mourn. Oh well.

My condolences on your loss.

although personally?. . I think it's WONDERFUL that his parents showed up for the Drag Show.

(it was a benefit for their son, and what a wonderful show of support (even after his passing) that they wanted to participate in some way, and yes, showing up is participating).

hugs to you all!

I haven't posted in this thread in a long, LONG time, but I figured, "why not?"

Last month, I went to Atlanta Pride for the first time, and holy hell was it fun. I'm pretty sure my friend and I were the only outwardly open asexuals that I saw at the entire event, but we basically stayed around the loop of shops and the street that the parade was on, so I definitely didn't see everyone. I scored a bunch of cool free stuff, gave a Mini Cooper picnic blanket to this super-sweet lady and her partner (who wanted the blanket even more than she did!), and caught almost all of the parade. Longest parade I've ever seen in my life, but it was worth it. Not even gonna lie, watching the PFLAG group pass by with their posters and signs and whatnot made me tear up a little bit.

(By the way, if you were also at Atlanta Pride on Sunday and saw a slightly larger gentleman sporting a purple afro and a purple shirt that read "Don't Sweat My Life", that was me!)

I can't wait for next year's Pride!

I am glad you had a good time. I LOVE Pride events. I have been going to Baltimore's since I was in high school. DC's is fun but so many pretentious gays there, I hate that part. Surprisingly Delaware has had some nice Prides in the past. It used to be held right in a park that was on a beach. If things go well and I move to Texas I will get to experience Houston's next summer.

^If any of you ever get the chance, Atlanta's Pride is pretty "out of this world" fun. It is REALLY big and always a ton of fun. I moved down here to Orlando right before Pride here, but I did not go (just way too much going on.)

^If any of you ever get the chance, Atlanta's Pride is pretty "out of this world" fun. It is REALLY big and always a ton of fun. I moved down here to Orlando right before Pride here, but I did not go (just way too much going on.)

I've never been in Atlanta for the Pride week.

I'm always in Atlanta during Labor Day Weekend for Dragon*con, so most of the gay men are always gone, as that's the same weekend as the big party in New Orleans (Southern Decadence).

however, Labor Day always seems to coincide with Black Lesbian Pride weekend, so we always have a grand time hanging out with the TONS of Lesbians who come to town for that

^If any of you ever get the chance, Atlanta's Pride is pretty "out of this world" fun. It is REALLY big and always a ton of fun.

Agreed completely. After this year, I can safely say that going to Atlanta Pride is essential for anyone living in Georgia and the surrounding states.

Has anybody else noticed how attitudes have shifted now that everyone knows who Tom Daley is dating? I've noticed it's basically this:

12/3/2013: Tom Daley announces he's bi.

YAY TOM.

SO PROUD.

LOVE IS LOVE.

12/4/2013: Tom Daley is dating someone 20 years older.

NO THANKS.

THAT'S GROSS.

HE COULD DO BETTER.

I've got friends who work on marriage campaigns and at HRC and I still see them talking about how he's 'too old' for Tom and how Tom must be his 'little boytoy' and man, it's just really frustrating me. It's just so amazing how one day you get an outpouring of support, and then the next day a whole lot of judgement because of his choice of partner. People are such hypocrites sometimes...

^ There is nothing wrong with their age gap. We can not help who we love. If they are genuinely happy and in love that is awesome. Who is anyone to judge them. People who have something to say about it are just not comfortable in their own skin.

David, thank for you bringing up Atlanta Pride, That is on my list of pride events to visit. I want to visit the big ones - San Francisco, NYC, LA.

I also want to visit New Orleans when they have Southern Decadence and Cali when Folsom Fair is going on so I can be completely freaked out lol

^ There is nothing wrong with their age gap. We can not help who we love. If they are genuinely happy and in love that is awesome. Who is anyone to judge them. People who have something to say about it are just not comfortable in their own skin.

Amen to that!

My partner is now 70 and I am 42 and we have TONS of good times together! The best thing is that both of our families know and are very supportive of us because they love us and want us to be happy. Over ten years now and still going strong!

People that don't know us and see us from afar probably think that we're weird, but we don't care. Take the time to get to know us and you'll know that we are a very friendly and fun couple!

I can see why people are quick to jump on the boy-toy thing though or look at us with scowled eyebrows. To be honest, I have seen that happen to several of my partner's gay older friends where they think that they have met someone really special, only to find out that the younger guys are just looking to use them for their money.

It's really sad when you seen an older gay guy that is super depressed because he just can't meet that one special guy in his life and he feels like he is rapidly running out of time. We have one friend in his 70's that has never had a life partner and is just miserable all the time despite the fact that he is financially sound with a gorgeous house and has traveled all over the world. Like they say, money can't buy happiness.

We also lost a close friend of ours to suicide a couple of years ago. He had never really had a substantial relationship after divorcing his wife and coming out as gay. Other friends of ours found him hanging in the rafters of his basement apartment in Boston - 68 years old.

So whoever thinks that we "choose" to be gay deserves to get smacked in my opinion.

I've never been in Atlanta for the Pride week.

I'm always in Atlanta during Labor Day Weekend for Dragon*con, so most of the gay men are always gone, as that's the same weekend as the big party in New Orleans (Southern Decadence).

however, Labor Day always seems to coincide with Black Lesbian Pride weekend, so we always have a grand time hanging out with the TONS of Lesbians who come to town for that

Labor day weekend in Atlanta is insane. It's not just a lesbian thing, it's the official black pride weekend, with 75,000 attendees. Add in Dragon*con, Decatur Bookfest, the college football kickoff game, three large music festivals and a NASCAR race, and Atlanta is a delightful mish-mash of humanity for the holiday weekend.

^ WOW you could see A LOT in that weekend. That sounds awesomely fun.

that's why Dragon*con has been an appointment con for me for YEARS. (although it used to be on 4th of July weekend until ~2001).

I've gone 17 of the past 18 years!