TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

^ I will be interested to see how that immediate amusement park expansion area plays out. Right now, that area is part of a cliff that goes down to the lake (or ravine as some call it) and to Sara's Campground (on the right).

I was thinking that Sara's was not overly thrilled when Waldameer built RFII - I wonder what they would think if they tried to grate down the ravine to expand the amusement park down to the waterfront. Looks like there are also some residential homes on the left which could also interfere with the parks expansion plans.

Not trying to be a Negative Nelly here as I hope that they can and would expand, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for development of this area.

My suggestion would be to tear down the Rainbow Gardens hall, or at least rebuild it for the company picnics. That place is disgusting and is in dire need of a refurb or a complete teardown. With all of the other picnic groves, I can't see why they couldn't tear it down...you would definitely have a new place to add a couple more rides if it wasn't there.

Sara Coyne Campground wasted too much money previously to even challenge the fact that anything else was built. Every appeal to the building ordinances they filed were rejected... it was only the Environmental Board that was slowing the construction of RFII.

As for Rainbow Gardens being in need of a refurb, it isn't that bad inside. The only thing that makes it look "run-down" is the fact that they have failed to clean up the facade on the outside. The rest of the building itself is in pretty good shape (albeit some cleaning and fresh paint wouldn't hurt).

Waldameer does own almost all of the "trailer park" area around the current park, it is just leased out to those homes. What I see happening is the parking lot and area behind the pavilion next to Steel Dragon being removed, and expanding all of that area down the old "boardwalk" area down to the water side. The area used to be a public access to the beach, but due to liability they removed that area (about 30 years ago or so).

I can't wait to see what they do. I've heard some ideas that have been passed around their offices (when my company was in a bidding war for the contract for their new website), and from what was even being talked about, I can only be excited about the next four years they have planned out.

The rest of the building itself is in pretty good shape (albeit some cleaning and fresh paint wouldn't hurt).

Yes, as well as new bathrooms! Those things are well...YUK!

I will be most interested to see how this all plays out. I would definitely love the see the park expand, but there are some definite challenges ahead for them. It sure seems that the drop off down to the campground would have to somehow be made into more of a gradual slope in order to get the park down to the waterfront. I would think this might be difficult due to erosion of the rock (limestone?).

Maybe they could just make an alpine slide or build another sky ride down to the new section!

^ This is what they did to the Cleveland Zoo to address a similar issue. If i remember correctly, the Cleveland Zoo's was much steeper and higher. Even though you can not tell from that image.

1599811931_CZramp.jpg.8a1e1b0e01c05cbd9b5bc8c0632c71d7.jpg

Do a modified that (although panning the whole hillside they own to reduce slope) with this and problem solved.

1698646875_WaldCliff.jpg.3a411527faf850f344b7a9d707fdb8ab.jpg

Maybe it is not a simple I I think though.

^I can attest to the steepness of that ramp/stair going up to the upper area of the Cleveland Zoo. It is a surprisingly steep hillside that has an effective means of circulation that is minimally invasive on the landscape.

Hopefully one day I'll get out to Waldameer. I've always wanted to go, especially since the addition of RFII but have yet to find the opportunity. It seems like a great small park and I'm glad it is continuing to expand in a time when small parks seem to be closing left and right.

The hillside could also receive an escalator, and perhaps an elevator for those who need it, to get up and down. I think of the Pittsburgh Zoo, which has a very similar installation.

As I said before, it is great that Waldameer is continuing to grow, and, despite their ability to squeeze rides into tiny spaces, I am still amazed that they figured out how to fit THREE rides in the train turnaround. The blog has pictures of the construction, with markers outlining the footprints for the rides, so I certainly believe it.

I wonder if we'll see the "food court" in the Merry-Go-Round grove next season, or for 2012 with their "thrill" ride nearby.

It seems early to speculate about another coaster, but when they eventually are able to add a new one, I think a Eurofighter, especially a compact one like Rage/Untamed, would be a perfect fit for the park.

^ A themed Eurofighter would be great for this park with a inversion or two.

I have spent so much time at this park the past few years that I could Roller Coaster Tycoon up some expansion ideas.

My wish list is:

Trivoli Orbitor

Round Up (or Darton Zero G)

Hawk 24 (They need an inverting flat)

Huss Enterprise (Not needed, if the Hawk 24 is added).

Small scale rapids ride.

Shoot the Shuts splash down.

Turnpike style ride.

Matterhorn style flat or Music Express.

One more dark ride.

Some more kiddy rides for the young ones.

I think I could fit that all in if the map proves to be true.

Also, good to see your name again. I was on another forum briefly years ago that I believe you are on. I made a joke about some of Kennywoods attendance being hilljacks with mullets. Well, they did not have a sense of humor and I gave up trying to give them one. I grew up in the area and had one myself in high school.... Oh well....

The hillside could also receive an escalator, and perhaps an elevator for those who need it, to get up and down. I think of the Pittsburgh Zoo, which has a very similar installation.

Great idea as well as the possible grating down of the hill to make it more of a gradual slope. But I have an even better idea than the skyride or alpine slide. Do the escalators and have an elevator, but install ZIP LINES with an interactive attraction at the top like Dollywood's!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wondering for some time about a slide that must have been planned but never completed. There is a slide complex that has the end built to the splash pool, a place for the start and even some footers poured. It seems as if it was planned and cut for some reason during construction. Does anyone know why?

I wish I would have taken photos on my last visit, but was able to get a close angle from Bing maps.

1824559401_WaldWaterslide.jpg.d0a3ddfee4202803961f2b95d46a4265.jpg

^ I wondered that myself for a while so one time while in the water park I struck up a converstion with the lifeguard on top of the tower and he told me there was a slide there at one point, but they took it out for some reason. He didn't know why they took it out but he seemed like he knew what he was talking about.

I don't believe that there was ever a slide there... if it was, it was removed fairly early on, as an Aerial photo of the park from 9/1993 on Google Earth still shows the green space and footers sitting there, even that early on. I have a feeling that the slide was just cut out of the budget before it was installed. I can try and talk to a couple of people I know in the front office to see if I can dig up any other information on it...

I don't believe that there was ever a slide there... if it was, it was removed fairly early on, as an Aerial photo of the park from 9/1993 on Google Earth still shows the green space and footers sitting there, even that early on. I have a feeling that the slide was just cut out of the budget before it was installed. I can try and talk to a couple of people I know in the front office to see if I can dig up any other information on it...

I guess he could have given me wrong information, but if you can find out for sure please let us know.

^^ Thanks, that would be great if you could find out from your contacts. I wonder is it was cut if they ever plan on adding it in the future since there is space for it.

Do you know if this slide complex was added with the original waterpark or part of the million dollar expansion that they sold their original Merry Go Round for?

Thanks for the info....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's really such an excellent spot for flying swings. It should definitely provide some good views of the lake and Ravine Flyer II. The park is a bit small and far for a trip in itself (about 4 hours from me), but after my rides on Ravine Flyer a few months ago, It's absolutely worth it. The park is full of charm and has a beautiful location. I can't wait to go back and see their new, continuously well rounded collection of rides.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

New for 2012 will be a Happy Swing for Kiddieland.

A second engine for the railroad.

Magnetic brakes for the Comet, and adding two train operations.

Improved Wacky Shack loading area.

Also the park is going cashless next year.

Great to see the park is investing on improving park capacity next year, especially on the Wacky Shack which is the worst line in the park.

What's New for 2012

Just because summer is over doesn't mean we can't stop thinking about it!

Many plans are in the works to make Waldameer's 2012 season even more fun and exciting than the last. New for 2012 is a second brand new train, the L. Ruth Express 2, which will run on busy days to keep you riding instead of waiting in line. Another addition will be a new magnetic braking system for our 60 year old Comet coaster. This will allow the ride to operate two trains on busy days to keep you riding. The Whacky Shack loading area will be redesigned to help get more people on that world famous dark ride too.

And just announced, Kiddieland's newest addition, a Zamperla Happy Swing! Check out Waldameer.com for more!

Visit Waldameer's blog to keep up on all the action throughout the winter.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=9ccmzvdab&v=001fTAmhMmZbVJbofb5oX3BYIqygpC6bHrNhApx8O-DS2GsX91OcsOiUJvVepX7TjMONPKTqFfItvVb3kdg9mLTKK4u_HRs831jBWlnCFs26SA%3D

Interesting to hear...not the 'thrill' ride they claimed earlier in the year, but it's still good to see the park adding a ride in addition to all those improvements. Any clues as to where they'll be putting this one?