TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoasters and contact lenses.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ridden Top Thrill Dragster with then in and they have been fine.

After my first ride on KK, the guy sitting next to me had his in the corner of his eyes. I've always wondered what percentage of contact wearers actually had problems with TTD and KK? I guess as of now, it's 50% huh?

I've only ever had a contact fall out once. Strangely, it was on Superman: Ultimate Flight at SFGAm. Ever other coaster I've been on has been fine on the contacts, even when they make the tears roll down my cheek. I've never been on TTD or KK, though.

The only problem I sometimes have with my contacts is they might dry out a little during the ride. A couple of blinks and they are back to normal.

Although it's no where near as big a TTD or KK, I went on Superman Escape and didn't have a problem.

I wear PureVision 30 day lenses which are, IMHO, the best invention ever. Taking lenses out everyday can be annoying but with these you just leave them in for 30 days, even when you sleep

I've been wearing contacts for 20 years, save for a brief period of a 3-4 years recently (I'm now back to wearing them, since February). I've never lost a pair on any roller coaster, nor have I ever lost a pair in a convertible or on a motorcycle (both of which create similar conditions usually at a much higher speed), including having my bike up to 172 in Arizona. The only time I've ever lost them was when I was 16, I wore them on a now-defunct waterslide at Wet & Wild in Orlando, and they were splashed out of my eyes.

In any case, I always take the "just-in-case" approach by packing extra lenses. I wear Acuvue Advance two-week disposables at about $50.00 for six pairs, so packing extras is really easy for me and cheap. I also carry my glasses, as an added measure.

I did the contacts thing for awhile. They caused me migraines when I did have them. But, what worked for me is sunglasses. They protect from too much wind. I have a pair of Oakleys that kind of wrap around the corner of my eyes so I get no extra air.

Looks like some people have good luck with them and some don't. It's trial and error I suppose. But, sunglasses do help.

I haven't had a problem with my Contacts on rides, except for KK's first row. The sheer amount of wind up there is insane! I'm sure the same would apply to any launcher in the front row...

My eyes were watering like crazy and I swore they were going to fly out!

I've worn contacts for over a year now, and I always wear them on coasters without a single problem as of yet.

I even wore them yesterday on Superman Ride of Steel at SFNE in the pouring rain, and they didn't come out..

I wear contact lenses since January and today was my first day trying a coaster with them on and I didn't have any problems ! I rode Goliath at La Ronde in the front row with the pouring ray, wearing my contact lenses and didn't experience any problems. Hence, they felt more confortable after the ride

• 5 months later...

I just got contacts today. Can't wait to try them at at a theme park. I can actually visit parks like Disney and USH without having to carry my glasses around so I can clearly watch thier shows. And I can also ride coasters with clearity. I'm exited!

I have worn contacts when riding front row for Dragster, and Kingda Ka and never had a problem.

I can see how a flyer might be a problem when you are in the horizontal position but I haven't a problem on either of the flyers I have been on - SUF at GAdv and Tatsu.

I've been wearing contacts for about 5 years. There has only been one time that I wish I had glasses on instead. After 2 days at Cedar Point with no problems with the contacts we made our last ride a nighttime ride on Millenium Force. I had to scrape 3 splatted bugs off of my lenses. Although I guess it would have been worse having them splat directly on my eyeball.

rbpia

"The price we pay for coasters at night. Worth every penny"