TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Maybe the park and RMC will release some news before long. I mean, bad news is better than no news, right?

Not if you are in Public Relations! I would expect for the next news direct from Dollywood will be that it will open...whenever that may be. They're not going to update us on the details of the issues they're working to resolve.

I am at Dollywood today, they have been working on taking a train off the track all day. I would think this is a step in the wrong direction but we do not know anything so who knows. Was still something really cool to watch.

So is it a problem with the trains?

^Thats the only thing I can guess at. Either the trains or the new system (LSM Launch) not working properly with the trains. I don't see any other reason as why they would have to remove a train from the track when they work on them right under the station. As long as they don't do what happened to Firechaser Express' train during placement (One of the cars fell off somehow and smashed into the ground).

On a different-ish topic, I was thinking back to around Mystery Mine when a survey came out about new rides/coasters. There were two coasters proposed, one was an out and back coaster in Jukebox Junction, and the other was a coaster rumored "Shibang" that was based around a backwoods prototype racing fuel. Fast forward 2016, and you have Lightning Rod. I just find it interesting how 2 of Dollywoods ideas can come together as 1 over around 9 years and produce one amazing attraction.

On a different-ish topic, I was thinking back to around Mystery Mine when a survey came out about new rides/coasters. There were two coasters proposed, one was an out and back coaster in Jukebox Junction, and the other was a coaster rumored "Shibang" that was based around a backwoods prototype racing fuel. Fast forward 2016, and you have Lightning Rod. I just find it interesting how 2 of Dollywoods ideas can come together as 1 over around 9 years and produce one amazing attraction.

If I recall correctly, that first proposal may have stemmed from the park considering to buy the Zippin Pippin from Libertyland in Memphis. But I don't think it was a smart or feasible move. And honestly, as much as I would have loved to keep the coaster in Tennessee, I don't think it would have worked at Dollywood.

I am at Dollywood today, they have been working on taking a train off the track all day. I would think this is a step in the wrong direction but we do not know anything so who knows. Was still something really cool to watch.

I'm not sure how removing a train would be a step in the wrong direction. If anything, I would have to assume that everything they are doing is step in the direction to get the ride done.

I say this with every ride that has seen a delayed opening: A few days/weeks/months NOW will not matter in the long-term lifecycle of the ride and will be mostly forgotten about once the ride is open and people are LOVING it. Remember how Falcon's Fury took an extra 3 months to open? Yeah of course you don't because no one cares NOW since the ride open and it's AWESOME.

How many people come August will be talking about the short delays on Lightning Rod? Zero. They'll be too busy riding it and loving the crap out of it.

A question, so Wild Eagle has the larger seatbelts on row 4, simple logic leads me to ask why they can't have the larger seatbelts on all rows? I've seen children that barely meet the height requirement ride in that row, and i have seen a single person that most likely weighs more than me and a companion rider in other row's (guess they fit just due to the specific shape of their body) I'm most definitely not trying to be mean with this question, i'm just curious. I know someone knows why, just need that knowledge myself.

I've also noticed that. The first time I rode on opening I seen so many people being turned away because of their leg sizes or being tall. They were trying to get front row. So I looked at all the seats and noticed row 4 had a black longer belt to it, so I tried that row and fit perfectly. I have large thighs/knees and so I was hesitant with the other rows. I tried Row 2 and 4 both last year. 2 fit me VERY uncomfortably in the legs and "Netherlands" HAHA but 4 still was fine. I too wonder why all rows can't be like 4. I've noticed the sign above 4 is even colored differently.

Just pulled into the Dollywood parking lot. OMG I want to ride LR!!!! Maggiekat and I will definitely be flying back out later to come ride when it's open. Looks amazing and all we can see is just the launch and last turn!!!!

Doesn't LR use poly wheels? Could be they don't want the trains sitting on the wheels since you cant leave poly wheels sitting still or they develop flat spots. But if that was the case they'd just move them to storage like B&M does so the trains don't rest on the wheels. Just a guess though, obviously anything we say is just speculation.

A question, so Wild Eagle has the larger seatbelts on row 4, simple logic leads me to ask why they can't have the larger seatbelts on all rows? I've seen children that barely meet the height requirement ride in that row, and i have seen a single person that most likely weighs more than me and a companion rider in other row's (guess they fit just due to the specific shape of their body) I'm most definitely not trying to be mean with this question, i'm just curious. I know someone knows why, just need that knowledge myself.

That particular row of seats is designed to accommodate heavier passengers. It is not as simple as lengthening all seatbelts.

Doesn't LR use poly wheels? Could be they don't want the trains sitting on the wheels since you cant leave poly wheels sitting still or they develop flat spots. But if that was the case they'd just move them to storage like B&M does so the trains don't rest on the wheels. Just a guess though, obviously anything we say is just speculation.

The trains are going to be sitting on their wheels every night for the next however many decades. They are not worried about "flat spots."

The trains are going to be sitting on their wheels every night for the next however many decades. They are not worried about "flat spots."

Actually Poly wheels do develop flat spots when sitting stationary for extended periods of time. Sort of like a car that sits in the garage for extended periods of time and not on jack stands, the tires lose their round edges and makes for an unpleasant ride. No one wants a rough ride.

The harder wheel compounds don't react in this way so rides like Mindbender can sit on the rails for decades with no worries. But rides like Goliath at SFGAm, or any B&M, use a softer compound to give you a comfortable ride and will develop flat spots. For this reason the manufacturer has set a time range that a train can sit stationary before it should be cycled or transferred off.

That particular row of seats is designed to accommodate passengers with different body types. It is not as simple as lengthening all seatbelts.

Fixed. Weight and body size are two different things. A busty female weighing 140lbs may not fit into a regular seat comfortably thus needing a larger seat whereas a 200lb male might fit fine in a regular seat.

But rides like Goliath at SFGAm, or any B&M, use a softer compound to give you a comfortable ride and will develop flat spots. For this reason the manufacturer has set a time range that a train can sit stationary before it should be cycled or transferred off.

I'm assuming this is one of the reasons why transfer garages on B&Ms don't have any rails but rather a line of wheels that runs down the center.

Actually Poly wheels do develop flat spots when sitting stationary for extended periods of time. Sort of like a car that sits in the garage for extended periods of time and not on jack stands, the tires lose their round edges and makes for an unpleasant ride. No one wants a rough ride.

The harder wheel compounds don't react in this way so rides like Mindbender can sit on the rails for decades with no worries. But rides like Goliath at SFGAm, or any B&M, use a softer compound to give you a comfortable ride and will develop flat spots. For this reason the manufacturer has set a time range that a train can sit stationary before it should be cycled or transferred off.

I am saying that Dollywood is not taking the trains off because they are concerned about flat spots. The trains have to be sitting for much longer than a week to develop flat spots. You mention Goliath at SFGAm but at that park during the fall and spring they are closed during the week during which the trains sit on the transfer not moving for the days they are closed. Dollywood has bigger things to be thinking about than worrying if the trains are getting "flat spots". Many coasters that have these wheels have a transfer track where there is track and the wheels rest on the track.

But rides like Goliath at SFGAm, or any B&M, use a softer compound to give you a comfortable ride and will develop flat spots. For this reason the manufacturer has set a time range that a train can sit stationary before it should be cycled or transferred off.

I'm assuming this is one of the reasons why transfer garages on B&Ms don't have any rails but rather a line of wheels that runs down the center.

It's also so replacing wheels and performing maintenance on the train is easier than if there was a track in the way. Many B&M trains actually never leave their transfer tracks, even during the offseason, because they have that type of transfer track.

That particular row of seats is designed to accommodate passengers with different body types. It is not as simple as lengthening all seatbelts.

Fixed. Weight and body size are two different things. A busty female weighing 140lbs may not fit into a regular seat comfortably thus needing a larger seat whereas a 200lb male might fit fine in a regular seat.

No, those particular seats are designed to accommodate heavier people. As in their is more reinforcement in the construction of the row to accommodate more weight.

I am saying that Dollywood is not taking the trains off because they are concerned about flat spots. The trains have to be sitting for much longer than a week to develop flat spots. You mention Goliath at SFGAm but at that park during the fall and spring they are closed during the week during which the trains sit on the transfer not moving for the days they are closed. Dollywood has bigger things to be thinking about than worrying if the trains are getting "flat spots". Many coasters that have these wheels have a transfer track where there is track and the wheels rest on the track.

But RMC also use a system similar to B&M where the train isn't resting on it's main running wheels on the storage tracks

But RMC also use a system similar to B&M where the train isn't resting on it's main running wheels on the storage tracks

Look at the bottom wheels, bud. "Flat spots" could develop on those.

^

Upstop wheels are probably a non issue, since they are not the wheels that the train spends 95% of the ride on.

Edited by Projektion

^

Upstop wheels are probably a non issue, since they are not the wheels that the train spends 95% of the ride on.,

Right. So in summary, like I said a little bit ago, Dollywood is not concerned about flat spots and isn't taking a train off to prevent flat spots.