TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Schwarzkopf coasters with alternative restraints

Hey guys, it's Joe, a Schwarzkopf fan. Anywho I've been searching around doing a bit of research and I remembered I had wanted to ask about "those other" Schwarzkopf restraints - specifically, the semi-OTSR's that are featured on some of Schwarzkopf's bigger loopers (Mind Bender in Edmonton, the dealy departed Bullet at Flamingoland [sic], pic below). How do they work, do you have to slide down under them or do they pull up?

Also, how are the OTSR's as seen on Zonga? I have heard varying testimonials, and also, are there any other Schwarzkopfs that have used the full-blown OTSR's?

Anywho let me hear your thoughts. Thanks y'all

- Joe 8)

1210c03.jpg.01f5ee011ea580915503d2fe3863deb8.jpg

Thanks to coastergrotto.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

here is a small video of those shoulder restrains on Olympia Looping from October 2005. You can see the restraints going up automatically after the ride. After entering the train you first pull down the lapbar. Then an operator comes and helps you pressing down the on-the-shoulder restraint. It's all going really fast and if the operators want to they are able to unload and load und unpatch the train in under 30 seconds to bring 4 trains on the track.

have a nice day

restraints_olympia.zip

little video of the restrains of olympia looping popping up

Now why can't they put those on Revolution? They look comfy and it looks like there would be no head banging. Plus, it's over the shoulder so it would comply with that stupid California law. Magic Mountain hello, you need to do this!

Not to mention they actually look like they belong there not like something that was scrounged up and thrown together in a hurry.

Wishful thinking I suppose.

These restraints are why I didn't ride Thriller/Texas Tornado more at Astroworld. While the concept sounds functional, these restraints are very similar to the PTC individual ratcheting lap bars in that some of them are great/comfortable, while others are a form of modern-day torture device (didn't the "rack" use some kind of ratchet as well?) pinning the rider tighter and tighter as the ride goes through its course.

Most of us are familiar with that feeling of having our thighs (and other bits) crushed on an otherwise good wooden coaster. Now imagine that treatment on your SPINE! And if any ride could dish out the positive g's it was Thriller (Crusher?). The restraints were painful enough that Astroworld ditched this design in favor of another, which I understand didn't work much better. Maybe if the original design had stronger springs/ratchets to hold the restraint up after the operator had locked it in place...

Didn't all these Schwarzkopf loopers get these retro-fit restraints after the Edmonton accident? Basically unnecessary, but more of a C.Y.A./insurance issue?

I'm sure those restraints are not good for your health.

When The Bullet was still running going through the loop squashed you and the restraints down so you were crammed into your seat. Then it happened again as you went through backwards... ¬.¬

The strange 4-point harnesses Magnum Force has were ok I suppose... Alot of freedom, but they hurt my neck because I was so small.

Didn't all these Schwarzkopf loopers get these retro-fit restraints after the Edmonton accident? Basically unnecessary, but more of a C.Y.A./insurance issue?

If that's true I don't understand why.

The Edmonton accident had nothing to do with the restraints. The entire back car sheered off the chasis wrapping the car around a support collumn.

Restraints aren't designed to hit support collumns at 50 mph.

Hello, first post here!

I think parks with the accordeon restraints should have a look at the OTSR on Manhattan Express. Same principle as the accordeon restraint... but thanks to the hydraulic system, they don't come down during the ride. I guess that's the only thing Togo got right with those trains.

Laser at Dorney still has "just" the lapbar restraints, and it is reputed to be one of the more intense Scwarzkopfs out there.

I know that, but I wanted to hear about these OTHER restraints! Most Schwarzkopfs have lap bars, but thanks.

Zonga's got the full OTSRs, not the straight up and down kind.

Who siad it didn't?

Thank you so so very much for the video, that was THE BEST way anyone could have explained it. You rock

Sorry, ParkTrips.. that was a response to the post above mine saying that all the Loopers had been retrofitted with OTSR's.

Well, that's not exactly what I said. By "...all these Schwarzkopf loopers..." I meant the bigger ones as mentioned in the initial post. I don't know about that traveling Triple Looper that used to appear at the Florida (Dade County?) fair, but the single and double loopers have just the lap bar.

Yeah, the Semi-OTSRs are a pain on the intense Schwarzys because they continue to ratchet down in the exit of each loop. I'd be 6'1" right now if I hadn't ridden Texas Tornado while I was still growing, causing my spine to get crushed. Now I'm only 5'5", so much for my basketball career!

I believe it was mandated by Schwarzkopf that every looper with more than 3 loops be given the OTSR treatment, though the traveling triples were just given the 5 points. I think it has more to do with keeping you upright though with the forces. If you lean forward for too many loops you could probably screw something up in your back or brain.

Don't forget Revolution has OTSRs, but they aren't the same as Zonga's (which were redesigned by Anton's son, Weiland.) SF has Revolution's monstrocities thrown on.

And yes, Togo's megacoaster restraints are good that they lock, but not so good that the whole train locks at once, and where ever your restraint is, that's where it remains. Then each individual seat has to be resized if you breathed, sloutched, or screwed up while they were locking.

Now why can't they put those on Revolution? They look comfy and it looks like there would be no head banging. Plus, it's over the shoulder so it would comply with that stupid California law. Magic Mountain hello, you need to do this!

There is no california law about having OTSR, i hear this so often but its not true. Its simply an insurance issue, the less people that get hurt, the better. While the OTSR may be more painful, it doesn't cause actual damage or pain that lasts very long. As long as a person comes off a ride in good physical condition, the park has nothing to worry about.

Example: Montezuma's Revenge has Lapbars.

Here's what they SHOULD do, attach two seatbelts that connect from the lapbars to the top corners of the seats. Problem solved.

There is no california law about having OTSR, i hear this so often but its not true. Its simply an insurance issue, the less people that get hurt, the better. While the OTSR may be more painful, it doesn't cause actual damage or pain that lasts very long. As long as a person comes off a ride in good physical condition, the park has nothing to worry about.

Here's what they SHOULD do, attach two seatbelts that connect from the lapbars to the top corners of the seats. Problem solved.

In theory it is a good idea with the seatbelts. But there are several problems that occur in practice. One is that there will always be someone who has a problem with closing his seatbelt. This will cost alot of time and instead of up to 5 trains you would'nt be able to bring more than 2 trains on the track. The other problem is that there is not enough room between the seats in Schwarzkopf-trains.

Yeah, the Semi-OTSRs are a pain on the intense Schwarzys because they continue to ratchet down in the exit of each loop. I'd be 6'1" right now if I hadn't ridden Texas Tornado while I was still growing, causing my spine to get crushed. Now I'm only 5'5", so much for my basketball career!

You think you have it bad I'm only 2'2"

You're right though they do get tighter during the ride. Also its good they pop up quickly bacuse when the ride stops you just want to get out of there.

I stand corrected-o.k., then, stupid insurance-whatever. That thing that has a way of ruining good rides, IMO.

Doesn't cause damage or pain that lasts very long-- but it does cause pain even if it is brief, that in itself is a good argument against them. I understand they put these things on to "protect riders," but in doing so is it accetpable to actually cause pain and discomfort? Isn't that kind of like defeating the purpose?

'We're going to put these OTSR's on because they offer more protection, eventhough they hurt more. It doesn't matter that THEY HURT it only matters that you are POSSIBLY protected more. Isn't that worth it?' By adding these OTSR's the park hopes to increase ridership, because it's a 'safer' ride now and covering their you know whats. But when people ride it and figure out how painful it is, then the effort is pretty much for nothing . No one wants to go on a ride that is painful.

Yeah it's a little redundant, but I think I've made my point.

Something about that sort of doesn't make sense.

what does looping rides have only lapbar restraints, specially on Schwarzkopf's wonderful train?

i think it's better than over-shoulder restraints that most guys feel tight, and don't like the most!

Myself in here don't like over-shoulder's too, i've banged both of my face into it, not headbanging.