TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Will Flashback (SFMM) be operating in 2006?

On a website I saw a story about some things, that the new people at Six Flags were doing. They were trying to start operating some long SBNO rides and coasters. Will Flashback be one of those restarted rides (coasters)?

Is this one big joke or can this be true?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From reports "inside the park" (take that for what you will)...Flashback, Freefall and Sky Tower are all set to open this year per Shapiro's request.

-Bryan "We'll See" Wood

Yes this is the thing I was talking about.

But Flashback was closed during the summer, because of Huricane Harbor.

What can be changed to reduce the noise level at HH?

Flashback is literally about 20 feet away from an activity pool and 5 waterslide complex at Hurricane Harbor.

Lifeguards need to be able to hear, so the rumor for awhile about why it was closed during the summer was because of that reason. From what I understand that's just an excuse.

Flashback is literally about 20 feet away from an activity pool and 5 waterslide complex at Hurricane Harbor.

Lifeguards need to be able to hear, so the rumor for awhile about why it was closed during the summer was because of that reason. From what I understand that's just an excuse.

Ahh, thanks for the info.

I guess the next logical question for me to ask is: Just how much noise does it actually make?

I've ridden Flashback and got banged around so much that I had a flashback.

Honestly, it's not a bad concept. I've even had some good airtime on it (the one hill where you go up then right back down). The problem is that the trains have the wrong kind of restraints, that's all.

Eric

If I'm not mistaken, even though it is an Intamin creation, it was designed by Mr. Bolliger and Mr. Mabillard before they left to form a new company. It has the box spine of a typical B&M and with it the typical "B&M sound." I never thought it was particularly loud, but I have never been in the water park there, never mind while Flashback was in operation.

I never had a bad ride on it, but I always seemed to be in the front row on a corner. I did ride it on at least 6 occasions, and while never my favorite coaster, I never disliked it, either.

I never understood all the complaining about it, and I was surprised when I learned that it had ceased to operate regularly.

Who knows, maybe there's a problem because of the history of the ride? It was moved a couple times and the manufacturer itself has changed significantly since the ride was built.

NO!!! DON'T OPEN!!! JUST TEAR THE DAMN THING DOWN!!!!!!!!

Kevin"That ride is from hell!"Bujold

have you even ridden flashback? its not that bad! and if you don't like it, don't ride it .

Yes I have ridden it and yes it is that bad! I only rode it for the credit once so I'll never ride again. But it is seriously bad! Tear the damn thing down and put in a spinning mouse!

Kevin"Flashback= , Bruises on your head and a headache that never goes away!"Bujold

Didn't I hear somewhere that Flashback is getting new trains? Or were they already replaced and still bad? Or not replaced at all? It should be relocated if it is causing problems. It seems to just sit taking up space that can be used for better causes. If Bolliger and Mabillard designed it, they should continue the idea in B&M, it doesn't look that bad. And the picture in the post two posts up looks ancient, not that the coaster's changed between when it was taken and now, but just in my opinion.

Of course I haven't ridden it, but I'm basing this on feedback and photos.

^ That would fix the noise, but unless they can get sand to travel upward through layers of paint and metal, they would have to drill holes in the track, making it rougher. And wouldn't the exessive hole drilling weaken the support structure? It's usually done before the coaster is built, and I don't think its ordinary sand they use, either.

Your idea is good, but there are too many downsides, and it isn't a cheap process.

^?

I was thinking of a single 1/4 or 1/2 inch hole at the highest point of the spine of each section. If the sand is dried out, it should flow down pretty well. The spine is where most of the sound is generated, that's why B&M's sound so different. After filled, a new piece of steel would be welded into place, keeping water out, and if done well, restoring most of the strength.

Sure, it's not perfect and it'd take a lot of time, but it would help, if noise was in fact the primary reason the ride was closed.

I think that SFMM will make an attempt to open Flashback so they can say they have 17 coasters. They can say it anyway but counting a SBNO coaster is pretty lame. Then after the novelty of having the most coasters wares off, they will close it again.

NO!!! DON'T OPEN!!! JUST TEAR THE DAMN THING DOWN!!!!!!!!

Kevin"That ride is from hell!"Bujold

Who knows if it's from hell, a coaster is a coaster. I don't care what they do to it. If it opens it might help Six Flags a bit.