TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is it that everyone hates about SLC's?

I love SLC's. Yeah they're rough, so what? Do you really think, that if Vekoma didn't exist, more parks would buy B & M? Slc''s are compact, cheap and look awe inspiring to the average visitor. I never skip one, and when given the chance, will ride one for 5 times in a row.

SLC's are good as a running yoke, but they really aren't bad coasters.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very funny snyyyper...

Does anybody have a clue what I'm talking about? Horse collars are bad enough...why do SLC's have "side" restraints too? With a 52" coat size, I'm used to getting my chest crushed, but pinning my arms to my ribs was rediculous... Are they all that way?

I've only been on two SLCs: Top Gun at PCW and Mind Eraser at SFDL. I really enjoy them both; however, they do tend to have their rough spots. Some years they are rough, some years they are not. I don't really understand why; perhaps my pain tolerance is just slowly increasing.

I also really enjoy Vekoma boomerangs; I think the constant disorienting twisting motion is great.

3. They all really hurt. There is probably not one good SLC.

that's not a bad thing, that what a like about them

I think you've might of ridden El Condor one to many times.

never , must have more ! ,

muahaha

lol

With only one SLC here in Oz, I find that the roughness of the ride depends on how you ride it...i'll explain.

I have found that if you push your head back into the seat the entire ride, it is quite a enjoyable ride. If you leave your head "loose" while riding, you end up having your right ear on the left and vise versa due to the restraint system.

But I can only judge from one SLC and truth be told, I am just greatfull that we have that in Oz.....but that might change soon....

Wayne"Did someone say B&M is coming?" C.

With only one SLC here in Oz, I find that the roughness of the ride depends on how you ride it...i'll explain.

I have found that if you push your head back into the seat the entire ride, it is quite a enjoyable ride. If you leave your head "loose" while riding, you end up having your right ear on the left and vise versa due to the restraint system.

But I can only judge from one SLC and truth be told, I am just greatfull that we have that in Oz.....but that might change soon....

Wayne"Did someone say B&M is coming?" C.

you at least have a helix, i've got a plain prototype

It looks a little shorter, lengthwise. The sidewinder exits to the right instead of the standard left. The coil to enter the inline twists is tighter and the return run to the station is on the opposite side of the layout from its normal position.

All the standard inversions are present and in the usual order. It's a modified clone, but then there are a few variants of SLC's out there already.

For example: Kumali isn't really a clone at all. It has a vertical loop and a cobra roll before the inline twists. The footprint looks different, too.

The only SLC I have been on is at Walibi World called "El Condor", it is the original one.

I guess most people don't like em is when you do an inversion you head tends to travel from left to right and visa versa.

They are sometimes called "Hang n Bang".

I did not mind the coaster and it did have good g-forces on some of the pullouts after the loops. The heartshape inversion was cool.

• 1 month later...
never ridden one, but except from EE and the both boosterbike allmost everyone thinks every vekoma ride is rough

Your telling me you live in Holland and you've never been to Disneyland Paris? They have 3 quality Vekoma's, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain & Rock 'N' Rollercoaster, 3 world class rides!!

The only SLC I have been on is Traumertizer at Southport. it was great, a little rougher than your B&M but great. Will be on Kumali later this year I hope too.

I think they are great rides but they are certaily 'cheaper' than the B&M's. So they work better for the smaller parks.

As for the giant inverted boomerang, time for a change of underwear me thinks...........

Paulos the 'not everyone can afford to spend £10 million on Nemesis' Jackal.

I've been on Serial Thriller (Thunder Hawk) at Geauga Lake, Mind Eraser (SFA, SFDL, SFNE), Great Nor' Easter, T2 ect... They are fun rides, but they give most people headaches, like myself....from the non-stop head-banging that SLC's are so commonly known for.

What about the Giant Inverted Boomerang? Are they as rough as standard Vekoma's?

I thought Stunt Fall was very smooth when I rode it back in 2003. Unfortunately I only got one ride on it. I was there with a friend and his parents and we were suddenly leaving and I hadnt ridden Stunt Fall yet because I was really nervous about it. Wish I could have ridden it more because I cant really remember much of what the ride was like.

I rode my first SLC several days ago at Wild Adventures. The headbanging is not too bad (although it still gives a headache after riding too many times), but I find the most painful part is the fact that my shoulders hit the sides of the restraint (the restraints sort of wrap over the shoulders, unlike the B&M's).

Also on my last ride, the foam padding was actually broken, exposing the soft foam underneath, making the headbanging less brutal.

One of the reasons why SLC's are so rough is because not all the wheels are in contact with the track at one time, so there is room for shaking.

I've ridden four SLCs (Mind Eraser at SFA, Mind Eraser at SFEG, Mind Eraser at SFNE, and Serial Thriller at SFAW) and they have ranged from very smooth and fun rides (SFAW's, may it rest in peace) to the most painful rough coasters I have ever ridden (SFEG's, which was painfully rough even when going from the brakes to the station).

I've ridden only 1 H 'n B (SLC) which was Kong at SFMW. First time I rode it, it felt smooth. I like the compact layout and if it were smooth like a B&M, then they'd have good competition with B:TR's. After my first ride on Kong, the ride has gotten rougher (even when they added new trains on it) by the day. Now, I won't wait any longer than 15 minutes for it. Surprisingly though, it seemed to be running fast when it was pouring rain.