TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

According to Screamscape, it has been delayed again. "Drastic construction issues" was the reason. I'm wondering if it was because the wooden trough was wearing out very heavily from testing. I could see the heavy wear on the top layer of the wood in one of the walk-throughs that took place over the summer time. Hope they are able to solve it, as I would hate to see it become an expensive failure for Knoebels.

Was this a completely new design of this type of coaster, or a copy of a successful previous design? In this day and age of computer designed everything, it's hard to comprehend how they could be having such difficulty with a type of ride that had been built and operated successfully back in the 1930s.

If I understand correctly, the layout is taken from a former installation, but the construction techniques were changed. The cars are pretty much entirely a new design.

The Flying Turns Project website had separate credits for "Design" and "Engineering". I interpreted it to mean that the "Designer" was doing the initial planning and the "Engineer" was verifying it, but I have no idea to what extent I'm right. Does anyone know what exactly John Fetterman does for a

living? I'm assuming that the park doesn't keep him busy full-time.

Apparently they announced at Eastcoaster that the problem with the cars bouncing on the track has been solved except for one instance near the end, but there was another problem involving the train going through the first helix too fast. I have no idea why this is supposed to be a problem, but they were considering enlarging the helix to extend out into the road that runs next to it. I would assume that they would have to tear it all out and start over, so it would probably take a while.

Does anyone know what exactly John Fetterman does for a living? I'm assuming that the park doesn't keep him busy full-time.

From the conversations I've had with John I do believe that he is an engineer of the park full time.

--Robb

The best way to describe this ride is what was said on the Coaster Crew forums

Hard Rock Park was built, closed, went bankrupt, found a new owner and will reopen during the construction time.

It is a same about the rides state, I was look forward to riding this year.

Does anyone know what exactly John Fetterman does for a living? I'm assuming that the park doesn't keep him busy full-time.

From the conversations I've had with John I do believe that he is an engineer of the park full time.

--Robb

This is correct. He is my mom's cousin. Knoebels is his full time job.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I know he used to work there full-time in maintenance, but for some reason I was under the impression that the engineering business was more of a consulting position, or a contractor who happens to work for the park a lot like the Len Adams gang. I don't know where I got that.

It would be nice if the park would get the webcams running again (and put them in useful locations) so we could see what's going on rather than guessing.

^ I'm pretty sure he has consulted with other parks, though, for example, I think he may have been on the Starliner team for Cypress Gardens.

--Robb

That is true, or at least that is what he said to the Wood Coaster Fan Club at an event where he spoke.

I don't know, but at this point I feel that the coaster won't be perfectly fixed and might cost the park more than it's worth the effert. Construction started 3 years and 2 months ago and yes the coaster's trackwork is finished, but Knoebels has been trying to fix the problems with the ride since the beginning of the summer season last year.

Jim, I'm not sure, but extending it all the way out to the road would make the helix a bit big. There is a storage area that was and is still used for construction behind the first helix (unless this is the wrong helix).

Here are some Flying Turns photos that I took on my trip back in August 2008. I forgot to post them until now.

505414793_DSCF0030(800x600).jpg.567b21ed4aecadfb1c4328c812566aff.jpg

653625554_DSCF0028(800x600).jpg.d5f4de92c830e159a6e4a6568a442c65.jpg

395818805_DSCF0026(800x600).jpg.d06267d7508bbae9bda016ddb2071017.jpg

123192861_DSCF0025(800x600).jpg.74e0b05f4c60c0da5be97048bc0bfe6b.jpg

176234717_DSCF0024(800x600).jpg.bc766b3111aec509938a331f446f2132.jpg

2082236004_DSCF0021(800x600).jpg.f0723d4ee49cee8143859b01aa25595f.jpg

1472568563_DSCF0020(800x600).jpg.98660f75b677300f256c14b0c29c1ab1.jpg

1165219661_DSCF0011(800x600).jpg.40b7e0296c5d318db44cf8dc65b96225.jpg

442833264_DSCF0048(800x600).jpg.5f616eeea412463f3dfa373c35f3d72f.jpg

I noticed that the transfer track, which had been under construction, has been removed from the helix. Also, the "switch" at the bottom of lift hill1 has been replaced with a straight section of side friction track. The transfer table looks to be unchanged.

[/img]

Pix3.jpg.27ab3d5b01cf9dc6b5ed34bc455b493b.jpg

Pix2.jpg.cd226dc8df5e0fb95b4d56886afe1cb9.jpg

Pix1.jpg.0053d13c84ac2a1395d212a4db89d346.jpg

From what I have heard, it is going to be a kicked up version of Miler family coaster. I guess a few that Dick and the crew looked at weren't aggressive enough, so they are going to take matters into their own hands.

I drove by the job fair at Knoebels the other day, and it was definitely odd to not see HSTC.

From what I have heard, it is going to be a kicked up version of Miler family coaster. I guess a few that Dick and the crew looked at weren't aggressive enough, so they are going to take matters into their own hands.

I rode a Miler out at Schnepf Farms outside of Phoenix last fall, and it was quite comparable to HSTC. The Peachtree Express was in pristine shape, I think it was purchased directly from someone in the Miler family (versus the company).

Knowing from how Knoebels likes to open their new attractions, I wouldn't expect this new coaster to open until July to as late as 2010. It all depends if anything is being built at this point.

I thought the Flying Turns was the only thing that didn't open promptly...

They say the new steel coaster is supposed to open this summer. Unofficially I heard June. I haven't heard of anything being built yet, but it shouldn't take too long to put up a small steel coaster.

The Golden Nugget, on the other hand... it'll be at least next year before they even start trying to do anything with that.

Coastin Steve spoke at Eastcoaster about the coasters. The kiddie is a Miler. It's being custom made by Miler to be more aggressive than their standard models. The Golden Nugget won't be touched for at least 2 years. They've got a few different ideas of where to put it. But, they haven't taken any measurements yet.