TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best park for coasters in EUROPE

I am planning to go to two parks in Eurpoe to get my rollercoaster experience up more than what it is currently and want to go on some INSANELY coasters. I thought Helix was insanely good but Robb does not, so I must be missing out. What park in Europe or near by have the best roller coasters.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should probably go to Germany as it has quite a few good coaster parks (Heide/Europa/phantasia). Port Aventura has also got 3 impressive coasters, but there isn't any other park close by so I wouldn't bother...

Gardaland and Miribilandia are also not too far from each other so you could take that into consideration.

Whilst it's true that there are not as big coasters in Europerror, that doesn't mean that they are bad, and in fact many world class rides live here. Maybe they're not as tall but many are very unique.

In my native UK Alton Towers or Thorpe Park are your best coaster park options, both of which have rides which are exciting and thrilling, especially Nemesis and The Swarm.

Germany is a great country for coasters, with Heide Park (Colossos ), Phantasialand (Taron, Black Mamba) and Europe Park (a little bit of everything).

I think the main thing about a lot of European parks is that they blend thrills and theming more. The thrills are maybe weaker on average but they are often enhanced by theming and setting. This makes a lot of these worth a visit and most are enjoyable even if you ignore their coasters.

If you want coasters I would advise Alton Towers or Europe Park.

I would also advise Efteling or Phantasialand as parks overall, but not for coasters, as these two are not nearly as thrilling. I actually enjoy these a lot but of different reasons (theming, dark rides etc)

If you go to Europe expecting the greatest thrills ever you will be disappointed. Go in expected something different to the USA and you'll love it.

If you are only into great coasters, I´d say Phantasialand, Liseberg and Hansa Park are your best Options at the moment. Europa Park is awesome, but the coasters are really not that impressive overall if you judge them in terms of intensity. Europa itself is an awesome park, most of it is near perfection, but the coaster lineup is rather bland (atleast in my opinion).

Taron and Helix really are the two benchmarks for coasters in Europe, and I don´t see much that comes close. Collossos at Heide is awesome (but closed ATM), the Smiler is really fun, but both don´t really come close to Taron and Helix. Plus, you´d get Black Mamba, Balder and Lisebergbanan which are all awesome aswell.

Thanks for those! I live in the UK and am hoping to make it to Alton Towers soon. Robb says Helix is bad though. I am currently thinking Phantasialand as a defo, however I am still finding another park. It does not need to be in Germany.

Taron and Helix really are the two benchmarks for coasters in Europe

I really wish I understood this insane love for Helix. Helix is a "good" ride, but it is not a "benchmark" not even CLOSE.

If you're looking for the most "insane" rides, meaning extreme rides that don't try to be extreme but end up pussying out right before they get extreme (Helix falls right into that category, IMO), then you need to check out:

Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park

Wildfire - Kolmarden

Balder - Liseberg

Nemesis - Alton Towers

Dragon Khan - PortAventura

Goliath - Walibi World

iSpeed - Mirabilandia

Katun - Mirabilandia

Colossos - Heide Park

Piraten - Djurs Sommerland

Karnan - Hansa Park

If you're looking for the "best park" in Europe (Which doesn't always mean they have the 'best coasters') I would look no further than Europa Park.

You are not going to find many OMFG HOLYSHIT WHAT THE HELL roller coasters at Europa, but you'll find a wide selection of GREAT RIDES and one of the best park resorts in the world.

and every single ride I listed there is light years better than Helix. I just don't understand how someone could go on a ride like Expedition GeForce, then Balder, then even Nemesis, and then ride Helix, which is in NOW WAY ANYWHERE NEAR AS FORCEFUL as those three rides and come away going "Wow, Helix tops those!"

I seriously don't get it the hype for that ride. It's a "good' ride. But it does not live up to the hype.

Edited by robbalvey

Hi! In this post I'm going to suggest you some parks with trip options, separated by countries. I think that if you do a trip you should have a "main park" and go to smaller things that are near to it. I counted insane OMFG roller coasters and I also suggested other parks which are near to them, so in this way you can try as many things as possible (without having them to be all ultra INSANE 5G and -2G rides).

Spain: In Spain we don't have lot's of coasters but you can do a nice trip which is:

Barcelona (even Tibidabo) - PortAventura - Madrid - Parque de atracciones de Madrid (urban amuseument park with a rare but fun Intamin Inverted and a Maurer Skyloop) - Parque Warner Madrid (Theme park previously owned by Six Flags, with Batman clone, B&M Floorless and one of the most reliable GIB's).

England: If you are English and you've not been to Alton you must do a tour with Alton Towers and Blackpool Pleasure Beach (next year if possible, with the new GCI woodie and the Mack Multi-Launch). Thorpe is also really good.

Germany: I think you can separate Germany in North and South. In the south you have the Europa-Holiday Park-(Tripsdrill) combo where you have one of the best parks in the world and one of the best coasters in the world. In the north you have Phantasia-Hansa-Heide which really makes for an awesome coaster tour.

Belgium/Holland: I will put this two countries together because they are really close. You can also include this parks to a German trip. In Belgium you have Walibi which has a Intamin Mega and a Mack Multi-Launch (so you won't be disappointed). Walibi Holland isn't as good but you can spend some hours there. Efteling is one of the best themed Parks in the world and Toverland has one if not the best GCI out there: Troy. Also, Boobejaland it's good.

Sweden: You have an awesome 3 park combo with an RMC, an Intamin woodie, a Mack Multi Launch and Gröna Lund, with now 2 amazing Drop Towers and other good rides. Sweden is becoming one of the European coaster landmarks.

Italy: Mirabilandia is the main one (Katun, iSpeed) but Gardaland still has a solid collection with two good B&M's and other solid rides. There are other parks such as Cinnecità World and Rainbow Magicland which are not as Coaster-Oriented but aren't bad by any mean.

Hope this helps you and you spend a great time. Ride on!

Taron and Helix really are the two benchmarks for coasters in Europe, and I don´t see much that comes close. Collossos at Heide is awesome (but closed ATM), the Smiler is really fun, but both don´t really come close to Taron and Helix. Plus, you´d get Black Mamba, Balder and Lisebergbanan which are all awesome aswell.

EXPEDITION GEFORCE!?!? It craps all over Helix.

Totally forgot about that one. Probably because Holiday Park is so close and I don´t visit it often as it has nothing except for GeForce, which is awesome.

As for Helix, I think that´s a matter of taste. For me the combination of the setting, the forces and the dramaturgy of the ride make it a top ride. It has great inversions, ejector air and hangtime in a great combination. I know that many, many people are especially in love with the setting on the hillside. My current number one in Europe is Taron, but I haven´t ridden Wildfire yet.

It has great inversions

I really wish I could understand why people keep saying that Helix has "great inversions." I feel like it has the same style of inversion over and over and over and over again and really makes for a boring and repetitive experience. Aside from the forceless launches, that was probably my other big complaint about the ride. And while I know that not all of Helix's inversions are technically exactly the same, they all just *felt* really similar to each other and lacked good variety of inversions that a ride like Kumba does, for example.

And Helix takes most of the inversions fairly slow. To the point where you almost feel like you're going to roll back while going through a couple of them.

I actually felt that the inversions were one of the weakest elements of Helix.

Edited by robbalvey

It has great inversions

I really wish I could understand why people keep saying that Helix has "great inversions." I feel like it has the same style of inversion over and over and over and over again and really makes for a boring and repetitive experience. Aside from the forceless launches, that was probably my other big complaint about the ride.

Well, at least to me they all felt different. At least if I compare them to a ride like the Smiler that feels like dive-loop after dive-loop. But again, I guess it´s a matter of taste. I agree on the forceless launches. I guess my favourite part is the ejector hill after the second launch.

Like I already said, for me and many of the people I know who have ridden, the setting plays a huge role in the "hype" regarding Helix. And I´m quite sure that Wildfire craps all over it in terms of setting and intensity.

Wow, helix has been crapped all over so many times. Lisberg is off the list!

Just because *I* don't particularly think that Helix is as good as other people doesn't mean you should "take Liseberg off the list" especially when they have one of the best coasters in Europe! Balder. Or did you skip by that entirely. No one told you to take Liseberg off your list. You'd be missing out on one of the better parks in Europe.

Edited by robbalvey

^ there are two reasons it is off the list. One I have been lucky enough to visit it before, and two, yours, but ALSO other people's comments have made me decide it is not worth a revisit next year. I value your opinion whole heartedly as there are not many with as much experience as you and your ideas as to where to go helped a lot. Thanks for that. I thought Helix was great because I only have 47 'strict' coaster credits and I would really like to find some coasters that crap all over Helix and make me amazed at some incredible rides.

Also there's more to Liseberg than just Helix.

There's more to most of these parks than just one coaster. Though Heide Park has Colossos for example I'd say Europa Park would be a better trip since it's more well rounded. Blue Fire doesn't hurt either. I'd argue a park with nice settings, efficient operations and a rounded selection of rides would be a better choice than one with a few 'noteworthy' rides but less of the rest.

You will miss a lot of of great parks in the world if focussing just on "this ride craps of that one".

I am doing a Phantasialand/Holiday Park trip in October. They are only a couple of hours apart so do able in one trip.

I haven´t realized they are this close to each other. Have plans for semptember/october to go to Phantasialand as well, but combining it with Holiday Park sounds like neat change of my plans. Will make the trip more worthy imho.

I am doing a Phantasialand/Holiday Park trip in October. They are only a couple of hours apart so do able in one trip.

I haven´t realized they are this close to each other. Have plans for semptember/october to go to Phantasialand as well, but combining it with Holiday Park sounds like neat change of my plans. Will make the trip more worthy imho.

Just done the exact same thing and have thought this may be perfect. Again, more things to think about.