TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What ruins your ride flow?

I am curious what causes the biggest disruption in your flow when riding a coaster?

For me personally it is hitting a second lift chain, it is like having a great ride hitting the half way point and up the chain you go again.

Another one is long stretches of nothing similar to Ride of Steel that Rob posted a video of the other day, just seems like it could have had even a small hill to add a little action.

What does it for you, what makes you think......."Wow I was having such a great ride then ........ happened".

Sorry if this needs to be in a different location.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not really a second chain lift hill that ruins it for me, but it's usually a chain lift hill that leads into the station. Such as SFMM's Ninja. Fantastic coaster, but it would have been MUCH better if the station was at the base of the mountain and there was only one chain lift.

Also, MCBRs that slow down the train to the point where it's impossible to notice really bug me. The first one that comes to mind is Ghost Rider at KBF. The ride would have good pacing if it wasn't trimmed to death.

Rides that (for lack of a better term) "blow their load" too soon also ruin it for me. Xcelerator at KBF instantly comes to mind; it has a fantastic first half (a ridiculously powerful launch followed by an intense airtime-filled top hat) that leads into a lackluster second half (two redundant overbanks and an almost painful brake run). I like rides to gradually get better and better as they go along, which is why I like rides like Manta (SWSD), Silver Bullet, Revenge of the Mummy (USO), and Maverick.

I also am generally not a fan of inversions/elements that repeat themselves, with the only exceptions being Arrow/Vekoma double corkscrews (good hangtime with time to soak it all in) and repeated airtime hills. This is kind of why I didn't like the diveloop-diveloop combo of Riddler's Revenge, and I didn't like the redundant turns (as smooth and intense as they may have been) on Maverick.

Mid-course brake runs that slow the train down to a crawl really bother me. Oh, how I long for Busch Gardens Williamsburg to not bring Alpengeist to a crawl halfway through the course...

Even worse than MCBRs that bring the train to a crawl... MCBRs that bring it to a HALT. I'm referring to the Titan at SFOT. It has incredible pacing and the MCBR isn't that long so it stops you really quickly as your coming in with some speed. It's supposed to help recuperate as some black out at the double helix, but I always recover before the train hits the MCBR. It's just something that always irks me a little. The front cars always dangle off the edge a bit and its pretty uncomfortable.

In more general non-specific terms, there isn't really anything that ruins my flow other than bad pacing. But that's kind of a given.

High-Altitude or Sharply Downgraded Final Brake Runs. It makes me think... "All that wasted speed could have been used on more fun stuff." Like Leviathan.

Exactly! I couldn't agree more. I mean, when I look at leviathan's brake run I always get the impression that it's taller than Dragon fire and that's a coaster that has enough speed to go through four inversions. That should be the MCBR and not the final brake run and they could have some nice airtime hills after it (for instance). B&M has been doing that with some coasters now and it kind of bothers me. Still, it could be worse (cough: "kingda ka and TTD" cough).

I always hear people mention that they dislike chain lifts that lead back into the station, but I was never sure why that bothered people.

If you know its there, then what's the big deal? The ride is basically over anyway. Its not any different than sitting on the brake run at the end of a ride waiting for the train in the station in front of you to dispatch. But at least with a lift hill, you're actually moving.

And on a ride like Adventure Express, at least they put some amusing theming in the final lift hill tunnel. Yet people complain about the end of that ride. Never really understood why...

Seeing potential airtime coming up only to find that the train *barely* crests the hill. Also, curious to see how Goliath (SFMM) is now as it seems to be 2 rides (train coming to near stop in MCBR). I don't recall it coming to a crawl back in 2001 when I rode it.

I just rode Goliath the other day for the first time in about 10 years since it was built. I have to say that when the train slows down on that turn it is actually the most terrifying part of the ride because you are tilted to the side at a pretty steep angle and with only the lap bars to keep you in, you start to feel like you are going to fall out. I don't really care for Goliaths 2nd half, but that slow turn is probably my favorite part of the latter half of the ride.

I will be riding Beast for the first time next month and am a bit nervous the the second lift chain will wreck the whole thing for me, unless after the second lift it is like a second coaster, seems to be long enough.

I like some of the replies, there are a couple things mentioned that I hadn't thought of before.

^The second lift on the Beast actually works really well. It helps accentuate the build up to the double helix.

What kills the flow for me are long straightaways that otherwise don't belong. Ride of Steel at Darien Lake is the best example. The rest of the ride is ok, but there could be another camelback hill right there easily. Sometimes straightaways are a good feature, though, like on Raptor at Cedar Point just before the cobra roll. That piece of track helps with the pacing of the ride.

And, of course, trims.

I am curious what causes the biggest disruption in your flow when riding a coaster?

^haha, he said flow. The eight year old boy in mean can't help but laugh.

Block brakes. Especially rides that have three or more. It's kind of weird, but they don't even have to be on to piss me a little off. I would rather that rides like Pandemonium or Rip Ride Rockit be lower capacity than have always to pesky straight aways and brake runs.

In order from biggest impact (totally ruins the ride flow) to smallest impact (feels slightly out of place):

-Stopping during the ride (unless a design feature)

-Brakes that significantly decrease speed

-Mid-course lift hills

-Slow turns

-Straight, flat track

-Speed bleeding elements

-Drawn out helixes

-Identical consecutive elements (excluding airtime hills)