TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Front Page RE-Design Contest!

Added the anouncement section and the featured video section. I feel like this very much a "2010" site. Also, I feel like the look of the site connects with the look of the forum pretty well, and is in the same "family" as the park index.

REV2.thumb.jpg.46b8171344d5cd07a94d404b842390a4.jpg

Click to make bigger.

I'm designing this with "2010" in mind. I'm trying to keep it modern, somewhat familiar, and use real estate effeciantly. The next sections I'll be working on is the "Parks, News, Trip Reports, Ect" and the "Random" section. If anybody has any ideas or comments please feel free to share.

I'd also like to say that I'm a fan of DKR's mock-up. I like the current homepage as it is and he made it look nicer and added some "2010" functionality. I'm looking forward to see what you do with it DKR. Good Job!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, not sure how this works but heres my design:

Clean, Modern, Functional but still hopefully captures the TPR style. Also, the "big" image at the top left could be a rotating one, flicking between the most recent articles. Might change this as theres a few areas I'm not happy with.

Edited by AidanCKY

My comments are going to be a bit short, sorry... just in the middle of something.

Doug - I feel like my eyes don't quite know where to focus. Not sure if it's because the big image and the video are fighting for my attention, or if the smaller updates being opposite each other are fighting. Not sure if maybe having the video window is a bad idea (my bad idea), or if it just doesn't work with this execution. Not sure. Maybe the video could be one of our 4 or 5 rotating big updates? Not sure.

AidanCKY - I don't love it, but I don't dislike it. I kind of like the "minimal approach" and I also like that all the elements have some design polish to them. I don't know if that it feels to "standard blog" or something. All I know is that I feel like I should like this more, but for some reason I don't. It's one of the better ones so far, and unfortunately, I'm unable to tell you what to change. So my suggestion might be to take this, deviate from it slightly, and try a couple of different variations?

EDIT: I will say that the more I look at it, the more I like it, I'm just not sure it's right for TPR. Am I making sense?

2ND EDIT: I actually really like the way the video and the "main update" don't fight each other.

TPR Members! We could really use some input from you guys as well! Tell us what you like/don't like about the submissions so far!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Good so far? Bad? Terrible? Kill it with fire? It's the same horizontal resolution as the site is currently.

tprwebpage.png.be1764a7a17d84de884f91cc82c37de0.png

Edited by A.J.

^ This is actually not that far off from what I had in mind. I think I'd like to "clean up" some of the headers a bit more. But you're on the right track. I would be "ok" not using the Gadzoox font on the section headers. Has to be used in the TPR logo, but it's not a "must" for the headers.

I'd say polish this up even more, see if you can at least bring it to "2009" and see where it lands....maybe we'll finally make it to 2010? It's similar to the original. Almost too similar, but it's VERY practical. Give this one a "make-over" and I think it's a contender.

Funny, this one looks like almost what I would have done in photoshop as a mock-up, and then given to someone to say "This is what I want...but make it look like a professional did it, and not me!"

--Robb

ps. Any way to fit in a video window in there anywhere?

Thanks for your response.

Okay, from your ideas this is what I have now... also, If you want, you can take a look at our website, and take ideas from wherever the page you want. http://www.posesionfriki.com

tpr.thumb.jpg.304d3f8f74cbfeebe4ae49759a0bee09.jpg

Good so far? Bad? Terrible? Kill it with fire? It's the same horizontal resolution as the site is currently.

The Park Index icon doesn't make sense. As much as I like the other icons, not sure they will work with a newer, more sleek design. Perhaps there's another use or place for them?

Doug - I feel like my eyes don't quite know where to focus. Not sure if it's because the big image and the video are fighting for my attention, or if the smaller updates being opposite each other are fighting. Not sure if maybe having the video window is a bad idea (my bad idea), or if it just doesn't work with this execution. Not sure. Maybe the video could be one of our 4 or 5 rotating big updates? Not sure.

So, based on your feedback, should I remove the video box and just include it where the "main update" is. As in, you'll write javascript to have it "swipe" across or rotate.

I may go back to the drawing board... start from scratch.

DKR, can we see what yours would look like if the announcements, random, and forum posts was swapped with the updates and park news section? Just want those two sections higher up so people don't have to scroll to get to them. Not even sure it would work, but maybe it's a good idea to play with that idea?

Something else I should let you guys know about me personally. I'm not a huge fan of "change." Personally I *hate* it when sites re-design their page for no real practical reason, after I've spent a year or so getting used to it. Like the most recent Gmail change. Why? I can't see that my email works any better/worse than it did before. But I had to re-learn where things were placed.

I want to avoid, as much as possible, someone coming to TPR, who has been familiar with the current front page, for good or for bad, over the past 7 years and going "WTF?!?!?" when they see a new one.

BUT...having said that...I'm open to change if it makes "practical sense." Adding the larger "rotating update" and a video window is kind of something I feel TPR needs. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else we "need" - A twitter or FB feed would be "nice", but does TPR's front page really "need" it?

You guys tell me!

EDIT - I agree with Elissa. I'm not sure if it's still too many "lines" from the original layout or what. Like I said before, what DKR has done looks like my mockup, which I'd give to a professional and say "make it look like an amateur didn't do this." And I'm not saying that to be insulting, it's just that they layout is pretty good, it just needs more updating.

Edited by robbalvey

The whole icon thing - perhaps they're better suited as smaller icons in a "quick jump" menu of some sort at the bottom of the pages on the main site? That way, you don't have to scroll all the way back up when you've read an update.

I think the Updates and Videos are what you should push. Personally the whole facebook thing clutters up websites and is a bit pointless, gimmicky maybe. But perhaps I just havent seen an example of it working well. I think i'll continue on the website tomorrow as its 1:15 AM and i'm sleepy!

DKR, can we see what yours would look like if the announcements, random, and forum posts was swapped with the updates and park news section? Just want those two sections higher up so people don't have to scroll to get to them. Not even sure it would work, but maybe it's a good idea to play with that idea?

Yup.

tpr2.thumb.jpg.44bc6d91b3299b76691eb11789850901.jpg

Aiden - my concern with yours is the white text in the light gray update boxes. Doesn't allow the text to pop.

Doug - I like the icons in the tabs but some mode of transportation would work better for the trips/events icon.

Edited by larrygator