TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parc du Tarbes - Get Your RevenGe in 2015! [RCT3]

Bonjour! Je m'appelle Griffin Jauneboute et j'habite dans la ville de Tarbes en France. I should probably speak in English though, since this is an American website, but I thought I'd give a little background on myself by speaking French.

Well, this topic was started by myself due to mysterious construction occuring at Parc du Tarbes, one of my favorite parks in France by the way, for the 2012 season. Here's a little teaser of the construction site (through the fences )

Shot0005.jpg.ae31c3e4ff0aefbb098f5fbe48ad251d.jpg

But, I should probably give you a little background on the park before we get into the good stuff...

Founded in 1933 by Hugues Garonne, Parc du Tarbes was originally a small portion of land in Tarbes used as private hunting grounds for the wealthy.

Shot0009.jpg.15ca4aa3e1405fe937718050c64f0680.jpg

But, noise from constant gunshots and growth of the city led for the hunting grounds to be converted into a private park.

Shot0010.jpg.82e76bf1d84b590551758ef266964660.jpg

The park was well kept and beautiful, but in 1977, Parc du Tarbes was bought from the city by Amusements Ultimes (AU), and was converted into a theme park. Opening as the "new" Parc du Tarbes on April 8, 1978, the theme park became a destination for the people of Tarbes - and of France; it only held 17 attractions inside it's fences.

Shot0033.jpg.01eed490d70832e602f373c664c28089.jpg

Home to two wooden roller coasters, Parc du Tarbes was a magnet for thrill-seeking Frenchmen. La Bête, a toboggan-style coaster set back in the woods...

Shot0003.jpg.68307205986dde6e564ebb964cb57967.jpg

And Souris Sauvage!, a typical run-of-the-mill wild mouse...

Shot0004.jpg.8183f891d22310f5bd23fe98a73295d6.jpg

helped make Parc du Tarbes became an attraction destination for the citizens of France. However, finacial implications and deficits in the early 1990's led to the deconstruction and removal of the two roller coasters, impacting ride count, and attendance, greatly.

But, there was light at the end of the tunnel! After finally overcoming financial constraints and investing money correctly, Parc du Tarbes opened their "first" roller coaster, LynX, in May of 2005.

Shot0017.jpg.f05f3ed0f5599ae3852dce7a97d202b6.jpg

Here's a fun fact. The path below this zero-g roll is in fact LynX's exit, not entrance!

Manufactured and constructed by Intamin AG of Switzerland, LynX put Parc du Tarbes back on the map by launching 16 riders from 0-80kph using electro-magnetic technology!

Shot0019.jpg.d6d15a223b30e70672003a63b1de8484.jpg

With a maximum height of only 25 metres, one zero-g roll, and a small footprint, LynX was the short but necessary ride the park needed to round out it's current selection.

Shot0021.jpg.539fe7eece71a6ea473a84ef97eeece5.jpg

And now, the park is at it again.

You see, before the reveal, release, and vertical construction of LynX, the park played somewhat of a game with the people in Tarbes. By sending out secret clues, performing crazy publicity stunts, and ultimately creating what you would call a "viral" campaign, the park built up the release of LynX to it's ultimate potential by feeding the curious minds of park visitors - and i think they're at it again.

While recently scanning this website for fun, I came upon this picture on "The Preview Thread"....

892719153_V1(II).jpg.3bcc9430cf6d80f667830101c29cf833.jpg

Now, I know that this is from the park due to the title of the image - V1 (II). It could seem totally random to all of you, but not to me. I, being a frequent visitor to Parc du Tarbes, know a lot of the workers and managers of the park. Le grand fromage, the park's MD (CEO), is Mr. Verand Première II...Mr. Verand Première the second. Don't you get it?

V1 (II) = Verand Première(1) II (the second)

This is just the beginning in this game, I can feel it...

I regards to the picture, I can't really make out what all the lines are, but I know what is at the bottom of the left-hand side. The symbol, looking like the letter "V"...

2023579739_V1(II)-V.jpg.ba2454c61e054e821888c4e027aa7026.jpg

Means literally the letter "V", the symbol for the number 5 in Roman numerals, or references Mr. Première again. This confuses me, seeing as if they are putting in a new attraction, what would the letter "V" have anything to do with it, or the number 5? I can see how Mr. Première could be involved, seeing as he manages anything that happens in the park, but if it's a roller coaster, wouldn't they have the number 2 on it since it's their second roller coaster?

Anyways, due to the "V" on the picture, I'm calling this post Project "V", hoping to find the answer to the mystery!

I don't know what's going on at Parc du Tarbes, but I know that I will figure it out as they continue this game. Anybody with me?

-Griffin

*All people, attractions, parks, and images within this thread are entirely fictional and any similarity to a nonfictional source is entirely coincidential.

Edited by griffonj2022

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Griffin Yellowbut?

Anyway, looking very nice so far! It looks like another intamin or some other hypercoaster to me.

I was trying to do my name, griffonj2022, "French-i-fied", but yes. I can't wait for everyone to start playing this "viral" campaign for the ride! It took me 5 days to figure out the whole darn scheme in my brain, but it's going to be quite fun!

What CTR is Lynx?

I''m pretty sure the CTR for LynX is the one done by Techno Dude in The Intamin Super Pack! here on TPR. Here's the link: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58584

I use that CTR for every Intamin Blitz, Accelerator, and everything else!

If you're ready to play the game, get your brains thinking and your talons out...

Bonjour! C'est encore moi. I headed out to the park yesterday for a couple of hours with my friends and discovered some...interesting...things happening at the construction site.

First off, the building you see here in the picture below...

Shot0005.jpg.417dde41c53e39718c59aab0897b8479.jpg

Is actually the old entrance and "lodge" for the hunting grounds. It was constructed a little while after the hunting grounds were open, but it easily has to be over 70 years old. It's been here ever since then, and to my surprise, was never torn down. When Parc du Tarbes was a private park, it was converted into bathrooms for the park go-ers to use, but when the park was bought and converted, they shut down the building. And now, they're building around it. I wonder what they could possibly be using it for...

Anyways, land clearing has been occuring and digging has progressed immensely. In some spots, there are easily 9 meters deep! (That's 30 ft. to you Americans ) Also, there has been fences put up around cleared spots of land, possibly for containment of something. I don't know what it would be, but let's say for now that it's building materials. I couldn't really tell from the SkyTower.

But, the thing that really interested me was something I saw in the pavement...

Shot0038.jpg.023a2c3943016d9eabf5b92b2e7a2e34.jpg

Do you see what I see? Here, let's get a closer look shall we?

Shot0040.jpg.117b8f0208ce290fe29fa659395c512e.jpg

There's a V in the pavement. Another V. I don't get it at all. Anyone care to help me out on this one? Now I know that they are teasing their new project for 2012, but this is confusing me. It's going in circles!...or V's

While at the park though, I shot a few pictures to give you a little background on what's been going on the past few years at the park...

Shot0029.jpg.bbc2ef70390bf44fb8c7ce643f76f3fa.jpg

This is Centrifuges (Centrifugal) built for the 2006 season. I can't do this ride....I throw up every time I get off!

Shot0028.jpg.a922823e155c0524d6e5918819774243.jpg

This is Révolution, new for the 2008 season. I have only ridden this ride a few times, as it makes me insanely dizzy as well!

Shot0030.jpg.b72b3db8f94ef6caf459cee52633c40c.jpg

New for 2010 was L'AIR, a crazy, tall, spinning, swinging, and intense ride that gives you a great view of the park - that is, if you can catch it.

Shot0046.jpg.c896c9d9530d4949c01ee61120dae5e0.jpg

And, of course, we have to have some pictures of LynX!

Shot0047.jpg.fdcc7f5dfbbfce58d8e4495a6ca4c176.jpg

Don't doubt this little hill...it throws you right up in the air!

Shot0050.jpg.c2632af496b044df74338f2843132c02.jpg

And they're off!

Shot0052.jpg.653254f0a6f7167813caf7c790e782c8.jpg

This is one of my favorite shots ever! But, a little fun fact for you: LynX, being only 25 meters tall, never goes completely vertical going up or down the tower. It's maximum angle is only 70 degrees!

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm really looking forward to the next clue that we see next. Hope it's something other than another V!

-Griffin

279308380_TOURlelogoofficieldelasociete.jpg.2b41d7ec7ea707bbfd3bba14e997fe17.jpg

We are TOUR, the Organisation des Raptors de Tarbes omniprésents, or the Tarbes Organization of Ubiquitous Raptors in English. Commencing our studies on the 10th of June and planning completion of them on the 24th of August, we eight ornithologists here at TOUR are planning on resolving the current issue of raptor overpopulation here in Tarbes, France. Below we have included a letter sent to the prestigeous American ornithologist, Dr. Chase Rapacent. As a member and follower of the current situation in Tarbes, we ask you to read the letter and include your comments as necessary. Merci beaucoup; votre aide est grandement appréciée.

TOUR Headquarters

135 Route Cinq

Tarbes, Midi-Pyrénées, France

June 5, 2011

Dear Dr. Chase Rapacent,

We are the Organisation des Raptors de Tarbes omniprésents, or the Tarbes Organization of Ubiquitous Raptors in English. You may refer to us by the acronym “TOUR”. Located at the base of the Pyrenees mountain range in the town of Tarbes, France, we are a select group of ornithologists in search of someone who may assist us in a dire time of need.

As of last month, there have been extreme amounts of raptors, large birds of prey, being spotted here in Tarbes and in the surrounding countryside. These birds have been attacking populations of rabbits, mice, and other animals, decreasing their chance for survival. They have also been known to attack humans as well. Because of this odd occurrence, we are asking you, Dr. Rapacent, if you would travel to France until the 26th of August to study with us the mating patterns, feeding habits, and flight patterns of the birds of prey that have been spotted. We think we may have identified over 19 different species surviving here, but we would like clarification on them in case of false information.

Please, Dr. Rapacent, we are asking for your help in a time of need. If these raptors are not stopped soon, the entire ecosystem here in Tarbes may be destroyed and never recover. We plan to fund your travels here to France and back, a $2,500 expense, so please consider your options and contact us no later than the middle of this month. We are anxiously awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

Dr. Andre Commandant

Dr. Andre Commandant

President of TOUR

Shot0053.jpg.2dc3635aa552e1e42fc059983c255c1b.jpg

Edited by TOUR

Well, first off, I have to make a little announcement. Due to an un-intentional mishap, certain aspects of the game might become tampered with or altered along the course of the campaign. Je suis désolé for this, as it wasn't meant to cause trouble or create conflict, but I should probably brush up on my English and read all of the rules next time.

But, if something becomes disfuctional with TOUR's posts or posts done later in the thread, I will post them under my name due to recieving the information via e-mail. The ornithologists at TOUR are making sure everyone gets their information, meaning every citizen in Tarbes!

I do hope that the game is able to continue though, seeing as there have been problems arising within Tarbes and the park itself. These aren't major issues, they're just technical 'bugs' that seem to be locking the ride systems of certain attractions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the first, I got something quite interesting in the mail...

1592593355_LinVasion.thumb.JPG.936175ef75f48964af2dea56b9aaff90.JPG

Stating "The inVasion is coming...do you want to believe it?", this wasn't placed there on purpose. It's yet another V, sending us in the same direction that we've been going in. It's also on an American newspaper! Now I don't know how you get an American newspaper in France, but it's quite the scheme to distract you or take away from what the true purpose is here!

Did you also see the object in the middle of the page? It looks like an upside-down fire or something; I have no clue what it is. Anyone have any ideas? Comment below if you do, I appreciate it!

I'm planning to head down to the park this Sunday, the 9th, to check up on construction and sneak in a couple of rides on LynX

J'espère que je peux vous voir bientôt!

-Griffin

I got an email this morning while I was at work, but since I took a nap after, I just discovered it!

Et vous avez pensé du Felinae étaient mauvaises. Attendez jusqu'à ce que vous répondez aux AVes!

And you thought the Felinae were bad. Wait until you meet the AVes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S41CcrUXlw

Voyons voir si vous pouvez planifier notre jeu...

Let's see if you can play our game...

http://www.rovio.com/index.php?page=angry-birds

.V.

Since not a lot of people have been playing this game with me, I want you guys to figure this one out for me! If you think you have some useful information that you can contribute, feel free to comment below. After all, this is a mystery, right?

Also, I won't be going to the park tomorrow. That's the 7th.. I'm going on Tuesday, the 9th, aves mes amis!

Search for some clues for me, s'il vous plaît!

-Griffin

If this is a French group, why is the acronym based upon the English translation?

I'm not really sure what the game is. The couple shots of the park look pretty good.

Apparently, when the eight ornithologists gathered together for the first time, they kept Dr. Chase Rapacent in mind when they created the acronym (which is very non-French) - and they thought the name TOUR sounded better Organisation des Raptors de Tarbes omniprésents as ORT didn't sound very professionnelle to them, especially to Dr. Commandant, the president of the organization.

And thank you for the comment on the pictures! My little camera works pretty well...on most occasions.

Keep commenting everybody if you have any ideas or suggestions on what's going on!

-Griffin

Well, this morning I found something sitting on the stoop of my house. It was one of those big folders, with the tie string at the top that you loop around, with the instructions:

Pour général de division aérienne Jauneboute - CONFIDENTIEL

My father, an "Air Vice" in the French Air Force, is one of the higher ranking officers in the service. This envelope was for him, so after finding it, I gave it to him...

And this was what we found inside...

2021563409_Listedinventairedesavions.thumb.JPG.a90d4d5e39e8d0673fd26be78e3fa0ea.JPG

It's a list of aircraft inventory in L'Armée de l'Air, with a little note attached...

1480397799_LArmeedeLAir.thumb.JPG.219f75f21e734dbab3dd8f79c68565ec.JPG

Any idea who it's from?

747832809_Notede.V..thumb.JPG.cde192e90e1b4321ac0d85a13d16226f.JPG

We received two lists of inventory; one in French, and another in English. I thought I'd take pictures of the English one so you could read it. Always thinking!

Anyways, the note still hints at the letter "V", from .V., the person who sent me the e-mail yesterday. Also, do you notice that the S in "YOURSELF"? What does the letter "S" mean now! Too many letters - anybody have any ideas on what the S could mean? If you do, comment please.

Oh, and also, be on the lookout for hidden items on the TOUR website. I have managed to find one hidden thing! So far, that is.

I wonder what they're going to do tomorrow...

-Griffin

Interesting. No idea though. The periods in .V. are interesting, they make a bird face?

They do don't they! I've never thought of that...very cool. Goes with the "Birds of Prey" video and Angry Birds. Could this attraction have a bird theme to it? Or are they just sending us in the totally wrong direction...

If you study the letter "S' in YOURSELF, it's not an "S" at all....it's the number 5.

YOUR5ELF.

V = 5

Hmmm...

-Griffin

Okay, V, and a 5.. An airplane list and the topic of raptors.

Just thinking out loud here, but it appears that a raptor is present on all the insignias of different ranks in the French air force. The 5 could relate to the number of stars on the général d'armée aérienne's insignia.. The V could relate to the common "delta wing" shape of the French Dassault fighters. That ties in with the "invasion" thing.

Just some thoughts.

Okay, V, and a 5.. An airplane list and the topic of raptors.

Just thinking out loud here, but it appears that a raptor is present on all the insignias of different ranks in the French air force. The 5 could relate to the number of stars on the général d'armée aérienne's insignia.. The V could relate to the common "delta wing" shape of the French Dassault fighters. That ties in with the "invasion" thing.

Just some thoughts.

Wow! You're really going in depth on this, aren't you! The only thing that seemed to stand out to me in your idea was the five stars on the général d'armée aérienne's insignia, when my father is a général de division aérienne and holds only three stars on his insignia.

Nonetheless, it's a great way to get this game rolling even more! I hope you'll stick around and help me through all these clues. Have you checked out the TOUR website? If you look on the main page, there's a "V" hidden in the bird's right wing (the left wing from our point-of-view).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked my e-mail this morning to find yet another mysterious message from an anonymous source. I can't trace the e-mail at all, seeing as it has no return address or anything, but this is what was inside...

Now, we can't forget about this story can we? It's quite the creatiVe myth...

In Greek mythology, Aegypius (Αἰγυπιός), son of Antheus, son of Nomion, a Thessalian, was the loVer of Timandre, a widow. Her son, Neophron, resented this relationship, and plotted against it by seducing Bulis (Βοῦλ-ις, -ιδος), Aegypius' mother. Neophron took Bulis to his house, haVing arranged for his mother to be out, and excused himself just when he knew Aegypius was accustomed to come visit Timandre; thus arranging for mother and son to sleep together, each believing the other someone else. Afterwards, Aegypius fell asleep, and Bulis recognized him. She grabbed a sword, and was just about to blind Aegypius and kill herself, when Aegypius woke up. Apollo restored Aegypius's Vision long enough for him to realize what had happened and changed all four of them into birds. The men became Vultures, Timandra a sparrow-hawk, and Bulis a long-beaked bird that pecks out the eyes of fish. Grasping the situation, including Neophron's trick, he prayed to the gods to abolish all four of them. Zeus heard his prayer, and answered by turning Aegypius and Neophron into vultures; Bulis into a pounx (πώυγξ) (perhaps a heron), which liVes on the eyes of fishes birds and snakes, since she was so fond to taking out eyes; and Timandre into an aegithalos (αἰγίθηλος), now the word for "long-tailed tit", but the Greek bird may also be any of the Paridae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegypius_(mythology)

1130897432_CopyofShot0074.jpg.5d38cf4980b886d15b1a29ff16da77a7.jpg

.V.

Now I'm really excited to head to the park tomorrow!

-Griffin

Remeber to comment on this and voice your ideas! I'll tell you guys mine if you tell me all of yours first...

I went to the park this morning with my friends and did a few laps around the park before leaving at 2 (we're six hours ahead of you over here!) Everything looks great, construction is in full swing, and there were actually a good amount of people at the park! I was surprised to have to wait awhile in line to ride L'AIR, and I didn't get very dizzy either! Quite the accomplishment...

I had to beg my friends to ride the train with me around the park, seeing as it isn't the most extreme ride in the park, but I eventually suckered them into it. There was a sign posted in the queue that said the train would be closing on "Friday, August 12th due to construction on our coming attraction for 2012." This is understandable, due to the fact that the train goes straight through the construction site! I hope I can go back to the park again this week (if possible) to get one last ride before it closes for the season.

But, while along the ride, I noticed something...

Shot0061.thumb.jpg.76a6e3c13ee0d395685eef7edec43814.jpg

Oh, is it supports and track?!

Shot0045.thumb.jpg.d757e5be6fe22beb51b578ccb20a88ad.jpg

Lots of steel materials as well...

Shot0064.jpg.82244dd7ee52761d8a6dcfdfcf3b9119.jpg

But, why is there two styles of track here!

Shot0074.jpg.3da8dc8cd89e626f954c89e107a19afd.jpg

I see track from Bolliger & Mabillard and Intamin. WHY?

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?! I'm totally lost, seeing as you can't build a roller coaster with two different styles of track from two different manufacturers. Ahhhhhh!

And, while on the train, the conductor kept commenting on the amount of birds in the area. I remember him saying "You might want to watch your head, there could be sharp talons coming your way!" and "There seems to have been a swarm of raptors in the area lately." Any ideas on this? I'm guessing he's referencing to TOUR and the recent raptor activity in the town.

I'm placing my bets now: this will be a B&M wing coaster.

Do you honestly think so? From the look and "feeling" I got from being around the track, I was thinking, either way, that it is going to be a hypercoaster of some kind. At least over 100 feet, easily! But what's making you think that it will be a wing coaster? Since that type of ride is so new, I don't know if the park is going to want to take that huge leap and give guests something that isn't as well known. I think they want to "play it safe" with the type of ride that they choose for the park.

Comment below if you have any ideas, please! I need all the help I can get!

-Griffin

Edited by griffonj2022

^^The idea of a wing coaster came to me when the game involved birds, the V being the wings of a jet fighter, and just the fact that a V looks like a pair of wings. And now I can see a dueling coaster from two different manufacturers! This is shaping up to be awesome, especially with the Hershey style game you are playing with us.