TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Advice Please - Im Coming To America

No, im not going to queens to find my bride like Eddie Murphy did

I'm coming for the COASTERS Baby !

I mentioned this in my thread but thought it better to give it, its own TBH

America

HOLD ON TIGHT

I last night, booked a Holiday to Florida, including a 14 day Disney pass, fingers crossed I can also save for a Universal pass, I see America as my spiritual home , so being able to book a vacation there and then go to theme parks and ride coasters = MUCH Awesomeness

Get ready for some awesome trip reports (in 12 months tho)

Feel free to give me as much advice as you can too ........The more info you gives give, the better the trip will be (This maybe once in a lifetime for me) and the better the TR will be

Gaz

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see America as my spiritual home...

America can't possibly be your spiritual home. You're no longer overweight.

Get ready for some awesome trip reports (in 12 months tho)

This time of the year will be fairly crowded and definitely VERY hot and humid.

Feel free to give me as much advice as you can too ........The more info you gives give, the better the trip will be (This maybe once in a lifetime for me) and the better the TR will be

We'd love to give you as much helpful advice as we can, but you'll have to provide a few more details for us. Stuff like where you'll be staying, which parks are on your "to do list," food preferences, interests outside of Disney (I know you already mentioned a possible Universal visit), transportation to/from Orlando airport, etc. etc.

The more information we have to work with, the better advice we can give ya!

Oh, and "Coming to America" reference FTW.

There are many cool parks in Florida. I think Seaworld over delivers and is one of my favorite places in the world. A week at Disney would be more than enough time if coasters are your main interest. I would suggest looking into one of the flex ticket options for the other parks and spend a week at Disney. I-drive in Orlando is a total yourist trap but it's also quite a lot of fun. There are a number of fun things to do and they are generally open after the parks close. On I-drive you could get away with not having a vehicle and still get to all the parks offered on flex ticket through walking and public transportation. Between Universal, Seaworld and Busch Gardens Tampa you will find some of the best B&M coasters around. These parks all offer great coaster line ups.

People on these boards will help you have a better trip. Give as much info as possible.

Ok, Im staying in Econo Loge , I-Drive.

I want to hire a bicycle at least once, where is best value?

Where is the cheapest place for the 14 day pass, here in the UK or can I do it in Florida ?

How busy will the parks be @ the end of Sept (2012)?

How much does food cost at Disney ?

Im not hiring a car, so as I understand there are free shuttles to Disney , how frequent are these ?

ermmm I have more questions but should we deal with these first ?

Disney is expensive! A completely wonderful place though. You'll definitely want to go to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure (more coasters than Disney and a bit more intense.) Dueling Dragons, Hulk, Flight of the Hippogriff, the Mummy and Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket among other world class rides. SeaWorld is awesome as well. Besides jumping fish shows, they have Manta and Kraken.

Tampa is about an hours drive from Orlando. From reading your other thread, you are certainly in shape enough to do it by bicycle, but it is HOT and VERY HUMID in Florida at this time of year.

Someone mentioned the Disney Dining Plan and I'd agree with them.

There are TONS of things to do in the Greater Orlando Area, so even if you can't make it to Busch Gardens in Tampa - you'll have plenty to keep you occupied.

The parks will not be too crowded at the end of September as school is back in session. Disney still might have crowds well because its Disney. The dining plan is good but, beware if you try to maximize your plan you may find yourself planning your days through the meals.

If you are talking about the magical express that is just from the airport to Disney hotels.

The Flex Ticket is a available at ticket windows based on my experience. If don't remember Disney offering an 14 day pass the longest i remember seeing is 10. I am not sure which ticket you are talking about.

Disney food will range from maybe $8-$9 for a burger and fries. To $15-$25 for decent table service and about $30 for buffets (not sure about breakfast) or fancy table service.

Hope this helps!

Disney is expensive! A completely wonderful place though. You'll definitely want to go to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure (more coasters than Disney and a bit more intense.) Dueling Dragons, Hulk, Flight of the Hippogriff, the Mummy and Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket among other world class rides. SeaWorld is awesome as well. Besides jumping fish shows, they have Manta and Kraken.

Tampa is about an hours drive from Orlando. From reading your other thread, you are certainly in shape enough to do it by bicycle, but it is HOT and VERY HUMID in Florida at this time of year.

Someone mentioned the Disney Dining Plan and I'd agree with them.

There are TONS of things to do in the Greater Orlando Area, so even if you can't make it to Busch Gardens in Tampa - you'll have plenty to keep you occupied.

Ok, Thanks, Have 2 young kids in tow so we figured that Disney is the best bet for now, while I'd love Universal, there is an issue with money first off and secondly am sure the kids will be more up for Disney

If they want a "Down - Day" I'd have no problem riding a bicycle to Tampa and back, what s the rough cost of hire for a day?

Is the Disney Dining Plan a kids eat what they want, when they want sort of thing ?

My wife is disabled and in a wheelchair, in the UK this allows you to board the rides via the exit, do Disney allow this ?

Thanks again

The parks will not be too crowded at the end of September as school is back in session. Disney still might have crowds well because its Disney. The dining plan is good but, beware if you try to maximize your plan you may find yourself planning your days through the meals.

If you are talking about the magical express that is just from the airport to Disney hotels.

The Flex Ticket is a available at ticket windows based on my experience. If don't remember Disney offering an 14 day pass the longest i remember seeing is 10. I am not sure which ticket you are talking about.

Disney food will range from maybe $8-$9 for a burger and fries. To $15-$25 for decent table service and about $30 for buffets (not sure about breakfast) or fancy table service.

Hope this helps!

I think the shuttle is laid on by the hotel/tour operator for us Brits TBH

The 14 day pass is basically you pay for 7, you get 14 days, it costs £250 at the moment, with the exchange rate thats $404 each, if you can buy at the park, do they double the days and is it cheaper than $404?

Thanks Again

I've seen in California that biking can be tricky as many drivers don't "see" bikes well. I was even honked when staying behind a group of bikes on a narrow street and a lorry comming the other way. It was highly uncommon for streets to have bicycle-lanes - best to plan ahead for by-roads.

I've seen in California that biking can be tricky as many drivers don't "see" bikes well. I was even honked when staying behind a group of bikes on a narrow street and a lorry comming the other way. It was highly uncommon for streets to have bicycle-lanes - best to plan ahead for by-roads.

That sounds JUST like 99% of the UK To be honest dude !

Well in germany nearly all major routes have bicycle-lanes - sometimes there're not in top condition, but they at least have them....

Check for if and which streets biking is allowed. In Calif there were so-called "shared" roads with appropriate signs. On other roads it was explicitly forbidden - and I don't know if on on "unsigned" roads bikes are handled like jaywalkers. Better check ahead with the FL traffic authority webiste.

Well in germany nearly all major routes have bicycle-lanes - sometimes there're not in top condition, but they at least have them....

Check for if and which streets biking is allowed. In Calif there were so-called "shared" roads with appropriate signs. On other roads it was explicitly forbidden - and I don't know if on on "unsigned" roads bikes are handled like jaywalkers. Better check ahead with the FL traffic authority webiste.

Ohh, I didnt think bikes would be forbidden TBH

Worst case scenario is I'll ride one morning for 2 hours, looking at the flat roads, that should give me a good 40 mile ride, best case is my misses says shes going to the beech with the kids and mother-in-law and i'll ride down to Tampa

But yeah, back on topic, i'd best make sure I am permitted to ride down I-Drive

The 14 day pass is basically you pay for 7, you get 14 days, it costs £250 at the moment, with the exchange rate thats $404 each, if you can buy at the park, do they double the days and is it cheaper than $404?

Thanks Again

The 14-Day Ultimate Ticket is by far your best deal so don't worry about that part. The closest equilavent pass that you can get at the gate is a 10-day pass and would cost you around $427.

Thanks Again

The 14-Day Ultimate Ticket is by far your best deal so don't worry about that part. The closest equilavent pass that you can get at the gate is a 10-day pass and would cost you around $427.

Thanks for that, is the 14 day ultimate ticket a time limited offer, or is it likely to be available at the start of next year ?

The Disney Deluxe Dining plan probably offers you the most flexibility as it comes with 3 meals and 2 snacks per person per day. The meals can be either quick service (walk up window type) or table service (sit down, full service). You can use the meals to do the character dining, which my kids loved, but you would probably end up planning your trip around your meals because they require reservations. I personally recommend O'Hana for breakfast with Lilo and Stitch. The food was amazing and the kids got to have a parade around the restaurant with the characters.

Just wanna put this as an additional post too

My wife is disabled and in a wheelchair, in the UK this allows you to board the rides via the exit, do Disney/Universal.Busch allow this ? What proof of disability is required, does this need to be arrange before we arrive etc?

Thanks everyone, there's 15 months left and already im so EXCITED

Disney does have handicapped entrances separate from the stand-by lines. I'm not sure what proof they require though. A statement from your wife's physician should be sufficient I would think. Disney is a week long adventure in my opinion. I have been there at least 15 times and always manage to stay busy for the whole week. I haven't been to Universal or Busch Gardens since I was quite young, so I can't offer any advice there.

I say you should definitely hit up Universal. It's an amazing place, there's not many coasters but they're all very good. I don't know how long you'd like to stay there, but I'd say a day and a half is good. Do a full day at IOA and a half at Universal. With the rest of that day you could have some downtime or you could find something else to do. You could have a rest-day for the the first half and then do Universal that afternoon/evening. Depends on what your goals are for the trip.

Do your kids like rides?

I don't know about Busch myself, but it would be something I would totally do if I had two weeks in Florida. Remember it will be extremely hot and humid though, and that may play into the schedule.

Will have ti hire a car, the hotel no longer offers the free shuttle

Although, it will be an added expense, renting a car is absolutely the way to go if you are staying on I-drive. Otherwise, your schedule would be depending on when the shuttles ran. You will have a lot more freedom with your schedule this way.

With two young children, I would recommend adding Sea World and/or Legoland to the agenda. Universal/IOA would really be more for you, as these parks are a little limited as far as attractions geared towards children. They definitely have the best collection of thrill rides to offer though in the Orlando area, so if that is important to you, then definitely spend a day or two there.

Ok, Im staying in Econo Loge , I-Drive.

This hotel was featured on Undercover Boss, the Choice Hotels episode. It was pretty run down and dated on the episode, hopefully with the exposure it got improvements were made to it.

Thanks for all your help so far, once again, the direction has turned around

Basically, there is 5 of us, my wife booked the vacation when I was at work, she thought she'd booked 2 rooms, she hasn't, so now, to amend the booking, its gonna cost another $700 to add a second room. So money becomes a major thought again.

we read there was a free shuttle to Disney, however, now we have our paperwork, it says the hotel no longer do the free shuttle but offer a service at $15 Per person, per day

We have booked a 14 day pass for Disney and there is 5 of us, so that would mean adding a cost of $1050 on-top of the price.

so thats $1700 EXTRA, or $1400 EXTRA if we hire a car, it seems for this vacation we will spend all 14 days at the Disney parks/water parks.

I read there is a Lynx bus that goes to Disney for $16 for 7 days each, my question here is how long is the journey time (Approx) on a Lynx bus from EconoLodge to Disney World?