TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A Question About Togo/Morgan/Most Coasters Built in Japan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not painful at all (although I'd bet it is on a TOGO). Lots of good rides have flat first drops: CCIs, classic woodies, and the Morgan Hypers are supposed to (though I have yet to ride one).

EDIT: Just looked at a POV of Bizarro @ SFNE, and most of that ride's first drop is flat. It is an awesome, smooth, top 5 worthy ride (and the drop is awesome).

Hope this helps to answer your question.

It's just the way they were designed. Prior to the 80s/90s most designs were drawn by hand and it's near impossible to draw a perfect parabola and then to have somebody bend it by hand (also the M.O. before the 90s.) Almost all of Arrow's coasters have straight drops, some Intamins do, it just depends on how it was designed. It's not anything country-specific, look at any Arrow and you'll find the drops are completely straight.

Corkscrew at Valleyfair

Bizarro at SFNE

Steel Eel appears to be the most rounded of the Morgan hypers. From Wild Thing on, it appears that each consecutive hyper is slightly more rounded than the last. Steel Force more than Wild Thing, Mamba more than Steel Force, Steel Eel more than Mamba, Superman more than Steel Eel. It's only a slight change from one to the next, but Wild Thing has way more straight track than Superman, even though Superman is 12' taller.

Demon @ CGA and Giant Dipper @ Santa Cruz both have 100% straight drops and both coasters can be painful, but the drops are actually one of the best parts of both rides and one of the smoothest parts of both coasters. Straight drops are as painful as curved drops.

Most arrows, as seen on the picture of steel phantoms revenge had straight drops too...well aside for most of twisting dropping mega loopers. I actually think those straight drops are amazing especially in the back!

It really isn't painful, but you can definitely feel a little jolt on rides like Magnum XL-200 and Mamba when they go from straight to curving. To be honest I think it's actually pretty fun. You go from just kind of sitting there to instantly being shoved into your seat or the opposite, being shoved out of it!

Well if I had the money or the time, or if God sent Robb Alvey to my apartment before the Japan trip to ask me if I wanted to go, all expenses paid, THEN I'd be able to go there and observe to give you an effective answer.