TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Traveling in California

On July 3rd I'm visiting Riverside for a couple of weeks to study at the university there.

On one of the weekends, I quite fancy having a day out at SFMM but have no idea on how to get there.

Unless someone (I've met before) fancies having a day at the park with me and don't mind collecting me from Riverside ( ), can anyone give me tips and ideas for getting to the park train and bus-wise?

Thanks.

Mike.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, that's what I was pretty worried about.

As I don't really want to replace SFMM for Castle Park, I'm now making an appeal if anyone fancies having a day out and don't mind providing some transportation (I'll pay for petrol...etc) to get there.

Send me a PM or something if you are interested!

Unless there is an otherwise decent option to travel with public transport relatively quickly which someone knows about?

I live in Riverside and you can catch the metro link from the Riverside downtown station to LA Union Station and from LA Union Station to SFMM I've done it plenty of times and it's not bad the only down side is you have to leave the park early to make the train back to Riverside.

You can catch the #703 train at 6:29 am and get to LA Union station at 8:05 am then you catch the #281 from Union station at 8:10 am and be in Santa Clarita at 9:14 am from there you take a short ride on a dedicated bus line that takes you straight to SFMM drops you off right by X2

The last train to Riverside leaves LA Union station at 6:35 pm so you have to be back at the Santa Clarita Station at 5:10 pm

I don't know what freeways your driving on b/c even on a Sunday it's going to take longer then 60 mins to get from Riverside to LA the 60 Fwy and the 91 has to be the worst roads on the planet when it comes to traffic and the closer to LA you get they get worse.

I've driven to SFMM on a Sunday and seamed to take closer to 2 hours then 60 mins all b/c of the horrible traffic this state has and the the complete idiots behind the wheel.

I live in Riverside and you can catch the metro link from the Riverside downtown station to LA Union Station and from LA Union Station to SFMM I've done it plenty of times and it's not bad the only down side is you have to leave the park early to make the train back to Riverside.

You can catch the #703 train at 6:29 am and get to LA Union station at 8:05 am then you catch the #281 from Union station at 8:10 am and be in Santa Clarita at 9:14 am from there you take a short ride on a dedicated bus line that takes you straight to SFMM drops you off right by X2

The last train to Riverside leaves LA Union station at 6:35 pm so you have to be back at the Santa Clarita Station at 5:10 pm

THIS!!! Seriously, just remember this will cost you about 30 bucks round trip,

I've driven to SFMM on a Sunday and seamed to take closer to 2 hours then 60 mins all b/c of the horrible traffic this state has and the the complete idiots behind the wheel.

On a Sunday morning it takes me 2 hours flat from San Diego. There are ways...

THIS!!! Seriously, just remember this will cost you about 30 bucks round trip,

It cost me £20 ($38) to travel to central London today, and that was only a 50 minute trip!

Thanks for the information Gigalyte!

WTF are you driving the Batmobile or Wonder Womans Invisible Jet J/k

it's possible to get to SFMM from San Diego in 2 hours and from Riverside in less than 2 but this isn't guaranteed.

Yeah it's 30 bucks round trip but if you look at AAA driving cost calculator it says the cost of the 88 mile drive from Riverside to SFMM is about $95.22 cents using 54.1 cents per mile driving a small sedan these are based off of 2010 numbers.

You welcome Buckaroo

^Not really!

We've made it from SFMM to Legoland in two hours just following the flow of traffic. It's only 124 miles!

I'm sure if you speed a bit (as most Californian's do) you could make it the extra 20 miles down to San Diego.

I live just a handful of miles from legoland and make it to sfmm in 2 hours most of the time. Also I'm not sure where AAA gets their numbers but my aging 1999 Camry can go to sfmm and back and have enough gas to commute to work the whole next week at least. Full tank is costing me about $70 these days.

I am agreeing with you guys that it's possible to get to SFMM in less than or about 2 hours

I also agree with Sidra those AAA numbers don't seam right at all unless your driving a big truck or SUV, my sister also has a 1999 Camry, I have a 2003 ford focus SVT and it's never cost either one of us that much in gas for a trip to SFMM

Mike, let me be the first to apologize for our chronically underdevoped mass transit system. This is the land of the automobile. Hopefully you can find a ride with a fellow coaster lover. Your day will be much more enjoyable. If you do have to rely on transit, on the bright side you'll rub shoulders with many interesting people.

I've already diverted this thread enough, but for those who question my drive times, I religiously avoid peak traffic hours, average an easy 70 mph (other traffic regularly blasts by), monitor traffic reports and use several alternate routes.

Last week I drove from San Clemente (south OC) to Valencia in Friday rush hour traffic (crazy idea).

I took a detour on the 57N/210W and it saved me tons of time. The 210W was beautiful, and I bypassed the worst parts of the 5 through LA.

Not sure how this will help you, but it worked for me!

Good luck and godspeed.

By Car

60 West => 57 North => 210 West => 5 North => Magic Mtn. Pkwy (Exit 170)

So long as you're not traveling between the hours of 7am-10am and 3pm-8pm, this should take 90-120mins.

Best way to use public transport is Metrolink from R-Side to Union, then Union up to Valencia, then Transit Bus to SFMM. Roughly 2-3 hours regardless of time of day.

When you are in SFMM then take a Metrolink train from Newhall station in Santa Clarita to Union Station in Los Angeles to ask for how to get on the way to Riverside, CA just like mine used to went there about two years ago.

Try to take a look at Metrolink or Metro Bus and Amtrak on website and hope to help.

If you take public transport to the park you better get a Gold Q bot. Its the only way you will be able to get the park done and leave in time to make your trains.

July 3 at SFMM is going to be hell on earth without a Gold Q bot.

Good luck.

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

http://www.santaclaritatransit.com/Index.aspx?page=3

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the information everyone!

I'm thinking about going to SFMM on either the 9th or 10th, but I'm wondering if it's actually worth the effort?

With limited time in the park and having to get up very early to try and use the trains, will it actually be worth it? :S

Unless, of course, someone is up for doing the trip with me!

Sorry for the double post, but I'm now quite confused over some of the time people have given me.

According to this: http://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/html.php?id=1115, on Saturdays, I can do the following:

351 Riverside 6:20am > LA Union 8:35am

261 LA Union 8:55am > Santa Clarita 9:48am

270 Santa Clarita 7:35pm > LA Union 8:35pm

376 LA Union 9:00pm > Riverside 11:15pm

Therefore giving me a lot longer in the park than people have said and not having to worry quite as much about finding a platform in 5 minutes to catch the next train!

Is this timetable correct, or does it go to a different Santa Clarita station or something? :?

There is only one Santa Clarita station.

You will need to get a taxi to go from Santa Clarita station to the park as I don't think any buses run from that station to the park on weekends.

If you are going to rely solely on public transit, you will need to go to Newhall station. From there you will need to transfer to any of the many buses that go to McBean Transit Center so you can get on the bus to Six Flags.

http://santaclaritatransit.com/Index.aspx?page=3

I was in California in May and can only strongly advise to hire a car. To go by public transport - especially north of LA - is horrible. For example there is no continuous train-service between LA and SF - why thats so is beyond me. In LA itself there's no global transit authority as every county has its own operations that are mostly not synchronized - if you plan to use those expect long travel-times.

If you're comming from out of USA/Canada have an international license ready - if from the EU at least a purple license - better a new card-type license.

Comming from germany car-driving is easy and relaxed compared to what I'm used to - even in cities. But expect traffic jams in LA from 7-10am and 4-7pm - travel between for example Long Island and SFMM could take up to 2 1/2 hours. Which is still better than by public transit...

If you still don't want to hire a car I'd advise to book on shuttle-busses run by private operators. Admitted they cost a bit but offer swift highway transfer to most sights including all LA and SF amusement parks.

Thanks for the information everyone!

I'm thinking about going to SFMM on either the 9th or 10th, but I'm wondering if it's actually worth the effort?

With limited time in the park and having to get up very early to try and use the trains, will it actually be worth it? :S

Unless, of course, someone is up for doing the trip with me!

You know, I would actually join ya - I live about 40 miles south of Riverside.. and I'm do for a SFMM trip. I would definitely go the 10th.. Saturdays at SFMM? Yeah.. I pretend they don't exist.

Let me know.. we can figure something out. I'll even show you how a-hole Americans drive