TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Theme Park Near Nashville?

It's not a secret that Nashville misses Opryland and there have been a few announcements about new amusement parks opening up in the Nashville-area in the past but none of them have come to the fruition. Here's another, but it sounds a bit more serious. Unfortunately there's not a lot of info as of yet but they do have a name - Festival Tennessee:

Article in the Tennessean

UPDATE: 1:10 p.m.

SPRING HILL — Spring Hill officials announced this afternoon that Miami-based Great Southern Studios plans to build a theme park called Festival Tennessee on land east of Interstate 65 in the city.

PREVIOUSLY REPORTED

SPRING HILL — Mayor Michael Dinwiddie is expected to announce plans for a theme park today on land east of I-65.

The city Planning Commission approved, in a 3-2 vote Tuesday, a change to the master land use plan that would allow the most open commercial zoning for the project.

Dinwiddie could not be reached for comment today about the project intended for 725 acres off Jim Warren Road, east of Saturn Parkway. It is where the announcement will be made at 1 p.m. today.

The land is in Maury County. Spring Hill lies both in Maury and Williamson counties.

Representatives for the buyer, NWC Investments, had asked city officials to sign confidentiality agreements. Alderman Amy Wurth, who signed the agreement, said she’ll be glad to have the announcement made.

“Everybody will be able to understand what it’s about,” she said. “I’ll be happy for the public to understand how this could be shaping Spring Hill.”

Alderman Rick Graham confirmed that the theme park could be a 1,200-acre project developed in phases over the next several years.

“It’s going to be big: an amusement park, hotels, a lot of shopping centers. It’s the east side of Spring Hill that we’ve all been talking about. It’s really going to boom now.”

Graham said he won’t be able to attend today’s press conference, but has been told there will be additional announcements in the near future from the developer and from hotel groups.

“It’s been hard to keep this a secret,” he said. “They’re wanting to break ground soon. That’s why we’ve been trying to speed along the annexation and rezoning. We can have all that done by our April meeting.”

City Administrator Victor Lay confirmed that the buyer isn’t Bible Park USA, which had wanted to build in Lebanon a few years ago. Dinwiddie has stated that it is not a religious-themed park.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm skeptical for a few reasons...

Anyone ever heard of Big International Group of Entertainment, Inc., or know anything about them? They are based out of Nevada, but very little info online about this group and what they do and what they've done in the past.

15 to 20k jobs promised? Okay, I'd like to see something to explain this. Dollywood employs 2k to 3k at its peak level. Opryland, when i worked at the park, employed about 2k at the park and maybe another 2k at the hotel, which is being generous. So, about 10 times as many as employees - that just doesn't add up even when you look at their proposal of hotels, waterparks, stadiums, shopping....i'm perplexed by that and more concerned with the lack of details provided.

Maybe the lack of info at this point is causing me to be skeptical. Believe me, i'd love to see this go through, but at the moment it seems a little snake-oil salesman-y to me....or a bit like the Hard Rock build-it-fast-fiasco.

News video and artistic rendering: http://www.wsmv.com/news/27047632/detail.html

I remain skeptical too. Whatever happened to Ole South U.S.A. theme park that was also recently proposed for this same area? http://www.olesouthusa.com/Theme%20Park.htm

I can't tell if these two projects are related to one another or not, both proposals seem similar from what i can tell....PARK!, SHOPPING!, SPORTS!, STUFF! Seems though if they were related then they would have used this same presentation to give better ideas of what's being proposed, rather than leave it with more questions than answers. I'm really getting the "Simpson's Monorail feeling" about this potential park.

I'm guessing they are different projects since the city of Spring Hill had to vote on new zoning ordinances to approve the project. What's strange is the city voted without even knowing WHAT the project was going to be. It was only this morning that the actual true nature of the project was revealed.

Yeah, I guess this feels more and more in line with the other theme/amusement parks that were proposed and never came about. It seems hard to believe a large park like this outside of Florida, or maybe even California for that matter, could be built today.

I will say this - Nashville is talking about it. News stations, the paper, Twitter comments and one of the sports shows was talking about it as well, though they were dismissing the idea that anybody would want to drive the 30+ miles down to Spring Hill from Nashville to visit it. I don't remember this much discussion with any of the other proposals in the past, but that doesn't mean this park is going to happen, obviously.

"(Dennis) Peterson (CEO of BIG) said the two other similar projects were in the works in other U.S. locations, but did not disclose the other locations. He said all three projects would be built simultaneously."

www.newschannel5.com/story/14170659/festival-tennessee-theme-park-proposed-for-spring-hill

You know what Nashville doesn't need? Empty promises for another amusement park, or an ill-designed amusement lifestyle center sportohouse whatever, that ends up being left to rot after the developer laughed his way to the bank, this better be legit. Apparantly, three of these are being built at the same time...not sure i can fathom how that will happen. in todays economy. with how expensive something like this is.

1000 acres of fun do not come cheap!!!!!

Sheesh. I think this guy is just a little over-ambitious, don't you think? I hope Mr. Peterson builds and opens each thing one at a time. That's pretty much the only way that this plan could work. Trying to build and open everything at once could destroy the whole project.

I am all for the theme park, water park, hotels, and restaurants, but the movie studios and sports complex are unnecessary in my opinion (NBA team? really?). The other thing that had me skeptical was when he said he wanted the park to be true to the state of Tennessee, then he mentioned Niagra Falls.

I just hope this guy thinks everything through before putting this plan into action.

I snagged some images from the web and press conference...

bilde_800x408.jpg.52c47199b8c93162199bf194a5f91c3f.jpg

Davidson County at the top of the image is where Nashville is located.

bilde3_800x535.jpg.191570b49aa9bf444f909b0377614e14.jpg

I'm not exactly sure where the theme park is located on the master plan.

bilde2_800x599.jpg.a484f2c66e578bd0cd8781d8573494fe.jpg

I can't wait for the Arrow suspended!

http://www.c-dh.net/articles/2011/03/02/top_stories/0001theme.txt

Resort hotels, a conference center, restaurants, a water park, a charter school and a sports complex are just a few of the promises made by a developer who says he is bringing a $750 million theme park to northeast Maury County. But one Spring Hill alderman is worried that the developer may be just taking the county for a ride after questions surfaced about a bankruptcy, business licenses and other matters.

The Festival Tennessee theme park and surrounding development will create 15,000-20,000 jobs “minimum” for area residents, said Dennis W. Peterson, CEO of Nevada-based Big International Group of Entertainment Inc.

Peterson described the park as a “mini-Disney World” during a press conference at the project’s site in Spring Hill. He said he has the financial backing to make it a reality. “We are all done,” Peterson said. “We are ready to go.”

The press conference was organized by Spring Hill Mayor Mike Dinwiddie, who hailed the project as a windfall for Tennessee.

Peterson said the theme park could be open to the public as early as Thanksgiving 2012. The park would be on 1,200 acres near Jim Warren Road in northern Maury County. He declined to identify his investors or the people who would be selling him the property.

Orlando, Fla.,-based ITEC Entertainment Corp. was named as the project’s designer.

Peterson’s bold vision includes a studio for children’s television programing, bringing an NBA basketball team to the Nashville area and building a replica of Niagara Falls that would send thrill-seekers hurling over the cascades in a barrel. All of this, Peterson said, could be done without any tax incentives or abatements from local governments.

ARE THEY FOR REAL?

But details also emerged Wednesday that raise questions about Big International Group of Entertainment. Roger T. Kidneigh, the company’s president, filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy protection in October 2009, according to U.S. Bankruptcy Court documents. Chapter 13 bankruptcy allows individuals to undergo financial reorganization under the supervision of a federal bankruptcy court.

In addition, business licenses for Big International Group of Entertainment and its subsidiaries are listed by the Nevada Secretary of State as being revoked.

Alderman Jonathan Duda said he has doubts about Big International’s legitimacy. He said just a quick review of the company raised concerns that he brought to the city administrator and attorney a month ago. “It took about 10 minutes and a Google search engine to find,” Duda said.

Peterson defended his partner’s personal bankruptcy and said it was not relevant to his ability to do business. The bankruptcy stemmed from medical bills incurred during Kidneigh’s late wife’s battle with cancer, Peterson said.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Kidneigh said the company plans to announce that a financing package is in place in about 10 days.

“The Nashville project is very real,” he said. “We’re going to be moving ahead. Investors are lined up.”

Company officials said they have been inactive in Nevada and let their business licenses lapse. They plan to incorporate in Tennessee within the next week or two.

Dinwiddie said he has met Peterson’s financial backers and has confidence he will make good on his promises. Following the press conference, Dinwiddie said the city did not research the company’s history. “I have no reason to doubt this will not happen,” he said.

Plans for at least two Middle Tennessee theme parks have fallen through in recent years. A Southern-themed amusement park called the Ole’ South Experience that would have been located in the Rally Hill area of Maury County never materialized. Rutherford County rejected proposals to build a project called Bible Park USA.

Peterson said he’s been frustrated by skeptical media reports. “This is heartfelt,” he said. “We plan on doing business, and all of a sudden, it’s like, my gosh, everyone in the world is looking for something negative.”

During an interview with The Daily Herald, he even addressed comments made on Facebook questioning whether he had enough money to fix his missing two front teeth. Peterson said he recently lost the teeth while eating a “rather crispy” wing at a Hooters restaurant and hasn’t had an opportunity to visit a dentist. “I am not modeling for Calvin Klein, so you know what, who cares?” he added.

BUILDING A BRAND

Peterson said the park’s theme will be based on characters featured in shows that will be developed by his company.

During the early 2000s, Big International Group of Entertainment had a contract that fell through with the late pop singer Michael Jackson to do an animated film. The $75 million film was called, “The Way of the Unicorn, The Endangered One.” Jackson was to do the voice of Sailor, an orphan who bands together with a group of endangered animals to save the planet.

Peterson said backing fell through for the film when Jackson was charged with sexual molestation.

The company’s list of planned projects includes children’s television and radio shows, books and magazines. Peterson said his company is also planning to build theme parks in two other locations, which he declined to name. However, company documents list Las Vegas, the coast of Mexico or the Caribbean as possible locations.

AN ECONOMIC BOON

Dinwiddie said he is asking the theme park’s developers to hire local workers.

“The entertainment industry is a high-class, top-quality industry, and it has been extremely helpful to Florida’s economy,” the mayor said. “I expect the same results from this development — not only for Spring Hill but for the state of Tennessee.”

Maury County Mayor Jim Bailey called the announcement “a great shot in the arm” for a community that saw many of its jobs go away when General Motors stopped producing cars at its Spring Hill factory.

The news netted a mixed reaction from residents who would live near the theme park.

Ken Rummage, 38, a resident of Dakota Pointe subdivision, said he worries a theme park will lead to increased traffic, noise and crime that will spoil the small-town atmosphere he loves about Maury County. “Spring Hill has had a history of development at all costs, putting commercial development right on top of residential areas and devaluing homeowners’ property,” he said.

But Sarah Smithson, who owns nearly 28 acres on Jim Warren Road, said she thinks a theme park would raise property values and bring much-needed jobs to the community. “We have to have growth,” she said. “We’ve got to get people perked up again.”

What I find kind of interesting here is this looks like what could be a viable, living project- if it weren't so much like a Twilight Zone appearance to the whole deal.

I think it's pretty much unanimous that Nashville needs SOMETHING to replace Opryland (Oh, how I miss it myself!) but to jeopardize a future park being built because when NOT if this park goes under, it will scare off potential REAL amusement/theme park companies for decaded to come- under the guise 'well, if they can fail with something THAT big, then we don't stand a chance.'

And that pic above: WOOHOO! A NEW Arrow Suspended coaster! I knew they couldn't die!

(Somebody, please put this nutcase out of his misery NOW instead of watching this disaster unfold...)

R.D.

According to this article this same exact project was proposed for Las Vegas a decade ago.

SPRING HILL — A artist’s rendering for Festival Tennessee — a 1,500-acre commercial development with a proposed theme park — is the same drawing used a decade ago for Festival Las Vegas, a project that never got off the ground.

Nashville attorney David Anthony said he recognized the artwork displayed Wednesday in Spring Hill where a $750 million project was promised to create around 15,000 jobs and include a water park, two resort hotels, 80 restaurants, a charter school, a shopping outlet and a sports complex in hopes of attracting an NBA team.

Dennis Peterson, who described himself Wednesday as the CEO of Big International Group of Entertainment Inc, used this artist’s rendering and a lengthy description both of Festival Las Vegas and Festival Tennessee, as well as other business proposals, as proof last year that he could afford a multimillion-dollar Leiper's Fork-area home before it was ultimately foreclosed.

Anthony represented Community First Bank and Trust, which was seeking proof that Peterson could afford the home from Brian Sullivan of Southern Development Group before the house went into foreclosure.

“Sullivan said he had a millionaire from Florida who was going to buy all these properties,” Anthony said. “Which we never believed.”

That’s when Sullivan produced plans for Festival Las Vegas and claims that Peterson had the rights to an animated movie that involved the late Michael Jackson.

“To me, it was all just gobbledy goop. It proved nothing,” Anthony said. “I included it as an attachment (in court records). I thought it was proof of just the opposite.”

And so now a new claim has come to light, and the swirling around the toilet bowl continues...

"Questions about the credibility of developers of a proposed $750 million, 1,500-acre theme park development in Maury County intensified Thursday after a top company official said the group is in negotiations to relocate the Grand Ole Opry from Nashville to Spring Hill, among other claims about the project."

www.tennessean.com/article/20110303/WILLIAMSON01/110303034/2275/RSS05

Wow, just wow.

I love the NBA team part. The Memphis Grizzlies are one of the least profitable/popular teams in the league, yet this guy thinks a second Tennessee team in the middle of nowhere is viable. Yeah right. I could MAYBE see a team in Bridgestone Arena where the Predators play, but there is no justification for having two NBA teams in Tennessee.